By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is MS going about acquiring games the wrong way?

Tagged games:

Mystro-Sama said:
MB1025 said:
Microsoft didn't approach Notch about this. Notch came to Microsoft. So what do we do now?

Are you serious? do you need me to tell you whats wrong with that?

No what this thread is about is Microsoft just busting down someones door and money hatting the universe.

Titanfall

Tombraider

Dead Rising 3

Those games are a different situation than Notch coming to Microsoft and saying I want out lets make a deal. Microsoft had no intentions to bully their way itno buying Minecraft and Mojang with their wallets. They were approached with an oppurtunity and put a deal together.

I don't understand how that is aquiring something the wrong way.

The OP even brings up Sony and first party studios they "built" which we even need to step back and realize they bought some of those studios and didn't build them.

Around the Network

I dont think so. They are doing what is necessary to make Xbox and Windows a success. I don't see a problem with it. The only people that care are hardcore gamers and Sony honks. And those people make up a very small percentage of the population.

Mystro-Sama said:
Nem said:
My thoughts on MS actions are that they have given a clear objective to the Xbox division. That objective is that they have the necessary capital thay need to turn the Xbox1 into a sucess. I dont think Microsofts wants more promises or wants to wait for next-gen. I think they are aware that rushing next-gen could be disastrous to them and to the market, so they are going for broke. Either this turns around and long-term is something they could do, or they will redirect toward mobile devices and PC or even sell off the division.

What's more long term than having more first party studios?

They are not thinking long term without the short term beeing a sucess. My view is that they want to turn this around right now and are doing all they think can achieve fast results. 

Of course, we know that long term commitment is the way to go and how Sony managed to turn around the PS3, but Microsoft doesnt strike me as the patient type, willing to take in losses for a possible turn around next-gen. 

Who knows though. We can only speculate.

MB1025 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
MB1025 said:
Microsoft didn't approach Notch about this. Notch came to Microsoft. So what do we do now?

No what this thread is about is Microsoft just busting down someones door and money hatting the universe.

Titanfall

Tombraider

Dead Rising 3

Those games are a different situation than Notch coming to Microsoft and saying I want out lets make a deal. Microsoft had no intentions to bully their way itno buying Minecraft and Mojang with their wallets. They were approached with an oppurtunity and put a deal together.

The OP even brings up Sony and first party studios they "built" which we even need to step back and realize they bought some of those studios and didn't build them.

What? When did I say it was a bad thing? All i'm saying is that it would have been a better alternative to invest into more first party studios.

Microsoft gonna Microsoft. :P

Around the Network

Yeah, I can't believe they would blow $2.5B on a one trick poney like this. They might as well go and buy Zynga as well if they're into losing money.

My 8th gen collection

TheWPCTraveler said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

What does Modern Windows mean cause Minecraft works on Windows 8/8.1...

As for WP... Well... Firstly, I doubt Minecraft sells phones and secondly, if they really wanted it that badly, they could have just paid them like 1 million to port it instead of paying them 2 billion and buy the company

This is one of those instances where I really hate Microsoft's naming conventions. Since they can't use Metro, they decided to use "Modern."

Think Windows RT, or apps on the Windows Store.

And, you don't want a crappy port to come out, and the XBL on WP certification process is hell, judging from what I've heard. A first-party entity would jump through those hoops easily.

By the way, don't you know how big Minecraft is?

Oh I see loll, Yea MS and their silly names

As for Windows Store/RT... Well, Windows RT was mostly a flop so neh to that and I highly doubt many people that own windows 8/8.1 even cares about the store that much if minecraft/app is avaliable for the desktop instead of the Metro UI (Don't care what MS thinks, I am still calling it Metro)

As for the crappy port... Well, If MS pays them to port it, it shouldnt be crappy, specially since they already made it for iOS/android so they have experience with mobile devices already and if MS is paying them to port it, they should be jumping through the certification process like they are MS first party cause MS is paying them lolll. It would be silly if MS paid them and is now forcing them to wait...

And isn't most of Minecraft randomly generated? I get its big but isn't randomly generated worlds suppose to be easier to make then the standard way?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mystro-Sama said:
MB1025 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
MB1025 said:

Titanfall

Tombraider

Dead Rising 3

What? When did I say it was a bad thing? All i'm saying is that it would have been a better alternative to invest into more first party studios.

Never said you thought it was a bad thing. You said I was wrong which means you think Notch coming to Microsoft is them acquiring the game and company the wrong way.

I can see an argument for things like Tomb Raider. They aquired their "exclusive" deal by approaching whoever they did and gave them 3 truck loads of money. Here they had an owner of the company come to them and say would you like to buy my company and Microsot said yes.

I'm not sure this is the best deal MS could have made, but the method is the same as Sony's tactic, is it not? They have bought several studios as well as creating their own, just like what MS does.

I agree with OP. I don't mind Sony, Nintendo, or MS buying up devs but the way they are going about it is kinda dumb imo. What's to stop all the employees from quitting or sabotaging their own work? Yeah sure the employees probably signed contracts at some point but what to stop them from starting up a new company? I mean MS is paying 2.5B for a fookin name. It's kinda dumb. They would be better off spreading that money around and creating a bunch of smaller groups that would end up benefiting the market more.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)