By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is MS going about acquiring games the wrong way?

Tagged games:

the usual suspects will say Microsoft are the devil and a blight on the industry, but really if they get some games who cares. thats how businesses work

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
I'm not sure this is the best deal MS could have made, but the method is the same as Sony's tactic, is it not? They have bought several studios as well as creating their own, just like what MS does.

Maybe, but has Sony ever paid 2.5B for a game before? Exactly. They even bought Gaikai in it's entirety for only $380m.

In 2 years this game will be old and nobody will want it

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

What does Modern Windows mean cause Minecraft works on Windows 8/8.1...

As for WP... Well... Firstly, I doubt Minecraft sells phones and secondly, if they really wanted it that badly, they could have just paid them like 1 million to port it instead of paying them 2 billion and buy the company

This is one of those instances where I really hate Microsoft's naming conventions. Since they can't use Metro, they decided to use "Modern."

Think Windows RT, or apps on the Windows Store.

And, you don't want a crappy port to come out, and the XBL on WP certification process is hell, judging from what I've heard. A first-party entity would jump through those hoops easily.

By the way, don't you know how big Minecraft is?

Oh I see loll, Yea MS and their silly names

As for Windows Store/RT... Well, Windows RT was mostly a flop so neh to that and I highly doubt many people that own windows 8/8.1 even cares about the store that much if minecraft/app is avaliable for the desktop instead of the Metro UI (Don't care what MS thinks, I am still calling it Metro)

As for the crappy port... Well, If MS pays them to port it, it shouldnt be crappy, specially since they already made it for iOS/android so they have experience with mobile devices already and if MS is paying them to port it, they should be jumping through the certification process like they are MS first party cause MS is paying them lolll. It would be silly if MS paid them and is now forcing them to wait...

And isn't most of Minecraft randomly generated? I get its big but isn't randomly generated worlds suppose to be easier to make then the standard way?

I've seen tons of crappy ports to Windows Phone that Microsoft paid for. And, the Windows Phone/Windows 8 part could be the crossbuy thing that they're promoting.

And, yes, Minecraft is randomly generated. I should know because the game's download sie is 10MB on iOS.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

2.5 billion investing into a mega lucrative IP like Minecraft and the company who works on the games is NOT the same as investing money into risky, money sucking studios who may or may not pan out. Eliminating the Mojang deal doesn't mean Microsoft takes that 2.5 billion and invests it in new studios.

Of course not to mention, MS is investing into plenty of studios and games already.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
I'm not sure this is the best deal MS could have made, but the method is the same as Sony's tactic, is it not? They have bought several studios as well as creating their own, just like what MS does.

Yes but Sony hasn't paid $2.5Billion for 47 employees with a one hit wonder.  This still feels like a joke.  If on Monday they actually announce this deal it's going to be the funniest things ever, and a good thing for Sony.  If they want to blow 2.5 billion on Minecraft instead of funding 20 or 30 AAA games then Sony should break out the Champagne.

My 8th gen collection

Imo it reeks of desperation is is quite pathetic really, they create little and just buy out as if they are talent less hacks that need to piggy back on achievements of others creating none of their own. Given their nature they will milk it to death and let it die when they are done.

The amount of games they could fund of that, and employ thousands of people with that money is staggering. The possibilities with that much money are massive if you really think about it.

Nicklesbe said:
I agree with OP. I don't mind Sony, Nintendo, or MS buying up devs but the way they are going about it is kinda dumb imo. What's to stop all the employees from quitting or sabotaging their own work? Yeah sure the employees probably signed contracts at some point but what to stop them from starting up a new company? I mean MS is paying 2.5B for a fookin name. It's kinda dumb. They would be better off spreading that money around and creating a bunch of smaller groups that would end up benefiting the market more.

They are paying for a product that is projected to make X in the next few years, they clearly see an ability to milk even more and its worth it to them.  

Its just $ and nothing else.  MS never gave a shit about gaming, they clear still dont.  

LudicrousSpeed said:
2.5 billion investing into a mega lucrative IP like Minecraft and the company who works on the games is NOT the same as investing money into risky, money sucking studios who may or may not pan out. Eliminating the Mojang deal doesn't mean Microsoft takes that 2.5 billion and invests it in new studios.

Of course not to mention, MS is investing into plenty of studios and games already.

Why do you think Notch approached them? Every fad has to die some day. He's obviously predicted the steady decline of Minecraft and wants to get rid of it before the value falls. And i'm not saying the cash would go to other studios. It obviously won't. This is MS we're talking about. I'm just making it clear that creating new studios would have been a better investment than one single IP and a small one hit wonder studio.

They've got loads of money so this purchase isn't that big of a deal for them.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54