By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes* - The PS4 And Xbox One Are Already Out Of Date

Yeah, because everyone would have jumped in and bought $800-$900+ consoles so they could game in 4k. History shows people spend money like this on home console gaming...

Why even give hits to such a terrible article?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I thought the ps4 could output 4k video

mM
leo-j said:
I thought the ps4 could output 4k video

Movies, yes, but not likely when it comes to gaming, unless it's Pong.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

And 4 k is already out of date because 8k is around the corner ( http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/08/samsungs-98-inch-8k-tv-lets-us-go-to-the-mall-without-leaving-c/ ) right after 4k hits the mainstream. This article is silly click bait that ought to be beneath Forbes. The kind of sensationalism that lesser minds will grab onto and run with like a child with scissors.
In the world of technology EVERYTHING is already out of date because someone is always working on the next iteration or evolution.

ToxicJosh said:
Interesting article.

Just throwing it out there as a pseudo-conspiracy: could Nintendo be working on the first 4k console right now? And could that be why the Wii U has some of the hallmarks of a stop gap console?

It'd be amazing  for Nintendo to have that kind of foresight.  Ninty says screw 1080p gaming, just continue the Wii era with a moderate upgrade, until 2017.  That's when Ninty will change the game, and again  be first to launch.  Hopefully, Ninty will learn their lesson and try to recapture the gaming community as a whole, i.e. real next gen HW leap, true 3rd party support, etc.  Ninty has stated that it does not like competition, but they are in a corner now, and must be aggressive ( possibly try bump one of sony or MS out of the game).

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
4K isn't going to be abundantly available to all consumers for a decently long time.

We need to concentrate on 1440p gaming first. We don't even have majority usage of 1080p yet... (though i'd consider it standard among core PC gamers).

4k is not only a far off dream, but expecting it to be the next step will have major ramifications. It would be a constant cat and mouse race between the average gamer waiting for the price to come down, then realizing he's been waiting to play old games at 4k. "You want affordable 4k and the latest graphics? Lol, another few years sorry."

1440p would be a perfect middle ground.

He's right in some areas...

4k in 12 months though? Not sure about you guys but my hd tv isn't exactly blurry enough to warrant the update.

1080P TVs first came out in 2005. 4K TVs started coming out in 2012.

It took 1080P LCD TVs until 2010 before they took a majority share of the market. The problem with seeing 4K TVs taking over the market just as quick is they are generally only on larger TV sizes (Which I believe has to do with minimal benefit on the smaller sizes). These larger TV sizes simply don't have a huge portion of the TV market. And with extremely minimal content available in 4K right now, the upgrade simply doesn't make sense.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

ironmanDX said:
Not sure about you guys but my hd tv isn't exactly blurry enough to warrant the update.

My thoughts exactly. I bought my 40" 1080P TV 3 years ago for $350, and have yet to have any reason whatsoever to upgrade.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

In my country (Sweden) I can get a 42 inch UHD TV for the same price as a Xbox One. And I am on the market to buy a new TV. Why buy something that may be outdated soon. The UHD is only less than 1.5 more expensive than the HD version.