By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes* - The PS4 And Xbox One Are Already Out Of Date

Baalzamon said:
So wait, they are out of date, because they can't do 4k, which extremely few people will have for the next 5 years?

They're both out of date anyway. We all know this. Past generation leaps were HUGE, but this one? Meh. I'm sure the average high end PC was better when they LAUNCHED, let alone now, many months later. 

Around the Network

Dark_Feanor said:

Is 2.5T enouth for 4K??

PS4 with 1.8T does 1080p and XOne with 1.2T does 900p easely.

4K is 4x 1080p

Depends of the game and settings but yet it can... it is exactly the power of a R9 270X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1eTgJadgoE

It will play Battlefiled 4 on Medium/High in 4k@60fps... on Very High it will hit only 30-40fps (playable yet)... not counting close to metal code and console optimizations.

But I didn't said that due 4k... it was more about I think the consoles this generation are weak... I could pay $100 to have a PS4 with R9270X.

PS4 and X1 consoles are more out of date than any generation before and could best compared to the Wii at launch which was also way behind. They do not even have a dedicated GPU and rely on a super-lame AMD CPU (AMD is more than 5 years behind Intel in modern CPU technology).

I really do not understand how the desgners could bring out a gaming console without a GPU. The AMD console design team originated from the former Gamecube designers which were bought by ATI. Maybe the success of the Gamecube based Wii made them go the ultra low cost without real gaming power route for both systems but I think this is just stupid when for $50 more you could have a system on par with modern PC technology. They used the best APU available at that time but an APU does not stand any chance against a real gaming GPU in terms of performance.

Despite being gaming consoles, without a dedicated GPU both the X1 and PS4 lack real gaming power which is a shame and the reason why PC games like Watchdogs need to be artificially dumbed down in graphics quality.

Nymeria said:
It’s not just the manufacturers saying this, either. For instance, AV industry legend Joe Kane, of Joe Kane Productions, stated during a presentation at the recent IFA technology show in Berlin that ‘a year or two from now you won’t be able to buy a 1080p TV.’

That cannot be true. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1080P television sold at most stores five years from now. What television shows are in 4K yet? What movies? Why would people is massive numbers switch to it in 2015?

People are still buying 720p tv, go to your local wal-mart and see whats on the shelf. The general consumer buy one tv every 5 years. Most kids and teenagers have to play video games on older tv in their household. So I wouldn't be to worried about 4K TV just yet.

Beside it's like everyone forgot about the looming technology that will arrive with the 4k TV.... cloud processing both console can support it.  

baloofarsan said:
In my country (Sweden) I can get a 42 inch UHD TV for the same price as a Xbox One. And I am on the market to buy a new TV. Why buy something that may be outdated soon. The UHD is only less than 1.5 more expensive than the HD version.

You're buying first year UHD technology that will be outdate and overprice compare to 4k and UHD TV that will release in the next two-three years. You're new TV will be outdate next year. 

42 inch is way to small for a living room TV you should compare price of 50 inch .... The Xbox One or PS4 will not be replace for at least 5 years. So it's the much better investment.

Around the Network

yes i agreed they are both out of date after 2020...

Consoles have always been out of date as far as tech goes, HD was around long before 360 etc... as was online, didn't make a difference because Consoles and PCs didn't overlap as much although granted the new consoles trying to be PCs may ironically increase that overlap and give the article some ground.

baloofarsan said:
greenmedic88 said:
Intrinsic said:
ToxicJosh said:

Like does he realize that right now a 4k gaming rig will cost at least $2000? and thats maybe even lowballing it.

Very lowballing.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/29/gaming-in-4k-the-future-is-now-if-you-give-up-60-frames-per-second/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/08/11/nvidia-titan-z-powered-4k-pc-gaming-just-got-surprisingly-affordable/

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet - Price: - $299.00http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-940-81761-2500-000-SHIELD-Tablet/dp/B00LM6KF7O

"While the Shield tablet features an 8-inch 1920x1200 pixel display, it can output 4K resolution to a television via HDMI".    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_Tablet

The Shield doesn't render games at 4k native resolution. If it did, nobody would bother with VGA cards that cost several times more.

The Shield tablet streams video at up to 4k resolution; not remotely the same. 

I'm all for 4K and I'll be an early adopter, but that is a load of nonsense. I guess I've lived in frustration for the past 7 years playing 720p games on a 1080p tv. 1080p upscaled to 4K will look better than 720p to 1080p anyway. Simply double each pixel instead of blur them by making 3 out of every 2.

New consoles by 2019 would be nice. For now, I can't even stream good quality 1080p netflix, 4k blu-ray is still at least a year off, and true 4K projectors are still over $10k.

Intrinsic said:
greenmedic88 said:
Intrinsic said:
ToxicJosh said:
Interesting article.

Just throwing it out there as a pseudo-conspiracy: could Nintendo be working on the first 4k console right now? And could that be why the Wii U has some of the hallmarks of a stop gap console?

lol... you must not know nintendo.

OT: this is a very stupid article. It keeps baffling me how so many people that work at sites like these and go as far as write articles about gaming seem to know so little about the industry.

Like does he realize that right now a 4k gaming rig will cost at least $2000? and thats maybe even lowballing it.

Very lowballing.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/29/gaming-in-4k-the-future-is-now-if-you-give-up-60-frames-per-second/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/08/11/nvidia-titan-z-powered-4k-pc-gaming-just-got-surprisingly-affordable/

Whats funny about that is that the very same forbes website put up that article analysing the current cost of a 4k gaming set up. And from al indications it was gonna cost well over $5000. So he basically is saying that sony/ms/nintendo to make and subsidize a $5000 console and sell it for $400? Whats even more funny, is that in that analysis article they kept on using the word "configure" meaning even they couldn't afford to buy it yet this new article somehow suggests that in two years everyone will have a 4k tv?

Just so stupid.

I'm guessing the article, or I should say the writer of the article is looking at his magic crystal ball 4-5 years into the future and the magic ball is being very optimistic. 

If so, yeah; I'm totally on board for a PS5 that does native 4k resolution for $400 in five years rather than spending $4000 on a 4K gaming PC today or even in 2015. 

In the meantime, we're not going to be seeing 4K gaming PCs under $1K even within the next 2-3 years. We'll see; I could be wrong, but the rate at which GPU performance scales, which in term determines price of performance is pretty predictable.