By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Destiny makes $500 million Day One

Wait till sell through, retailer purchases is just indicative of general hype. Actual sales == consumer hype

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:
Can we assume 7 million copies day one then? I say 10 million week one. Destiny sales should look like:

PS4: 4.5 million
Xbox One: 3.5 million
Xbox 360: 1.2 million
PS3: 800k

You forgot the Wii U:   0

I bought mine digitally and many others did also. Hopefully, bungie gives sales numbers because vgc cannot know digital numbers.

kupomogli said:

Bungie  only made $500 million off the deal, while Activision gets the next big franchise.  In the next eight years, we're guaranteed to see atleast four more Destiny titles and Bungie is going to only be paid regular development costs, so we'll say 50 million per year, while Activision profits billions per game.

Now I do agree it's Activision that took the risk as there's the possibility that Destiny wouldn't become the next big thing.  In that case it would have been Bungie that won out.  I just feel that Bungie's probably wishing they asked for more.

Uh no, I don't think that's quite correct.  Just because they have a contract that involves Activision investing X amount of dollars into the IP over 10 years, doesn't mean that that is all Bungie will get from games released.  I would be _highly_ surprised if that were the case.  There could be wording in there to limit Bungie's profits until the $500 mil investment is paid off, but there's no way the contract would stop bungie from getting a % with each game sold.

mornelithe said:
kupomogli said:

Bungie  only made $500 million off the deal, while Activision gets the next big franchise.  In the next eight years, we're guaranteed to see atleast four more Destiny titles and Bungie is going to only be paid regular development costs, so we'll say 50 million per year, while Activision profits billions per game.

Now I do agree it's Activision that took the risk as there's the possibility that Destiny wouldn't become the next big thing.  In that case it would have been Bungie that won out.  I just feel that Bungie's probably wishing they asked for more.

Uh no, I don't think that's quite correct.  Just because they have a contract that involves Activision investing X amount of dollars into the IP over 10 years, doesn't mean that that is all Bungie will get from games released.  I would be _highly_ surprised if that were the case.  There could be wording in there to limit Bungie's profits until the $500 mil investment is paid off, but there's no way the contract would stop bungie from getting a % with each game sold.

they are certainly getting a nice bonus.
But the vast majority of the profits will still go to Activision.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
And now we get to see the legs

I always look foward to seeing some nice legs!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wasn't GTAV the fastest to reach a billion?

Barozi said:

they are certainly getting a nice bonus.
But the vast majority of the profits will still go to Activision.

Activision doesn't own Bungie though, it's a 10 year partnership that Activision's invested in.  Think about Halo's profits over 10 years.  Why on earth would Bungie agree to a contract that limits their own take so drastically?

EDIT: This isn't to say Activision doesn't get a very healthy chunk of the sales, especially until some kind of balancing of the initial investment is done.  But after that?  What sense would it make, especially with the amount of potential Bungie has shown they can achieve, in the very recent past?

Many millions of copies sold then. Before even talking about DLC, amazing. Whether it has long lasting appeal is hard to tell.

Also, is this game worth it? I'm not sure if to buy it or not because i wasn't keen on multiplayer in the beta but i liked the rest of it.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Can somebody please find the thread where everyone said that they wouldn't make back the 500m ever?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.