By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Destiny makes $500 million Day One

Insane but do keep in mind that it still isnt profitable.. 500 million isnt enough when considering the royalty fee for platform owners and the cut from retail (if applicable) reduces the 500 million to an actual income of around 350 assuming both parties take up around 10 dollars off the 60 msrp. Now do keep in mind that this is just a rough estimate but point is that isnt quite on break even territory yet. Still better than most people here expected.

Around the Network
SweetTalia said:
Nice, that is about 8.2 units day one.

Then it hasn't sold that much, has it?
And since when can you sell 0.2 of a game? *Looks at MGSV* oh nevermind.

toastboy44562 said:
Can we assume 7 million copies day one then? I say 10 million week one. Destiny sales should look like:

PS4: 4.5 million
Xbox One: 3.5 million
Xbox 360: 1.2 million
PS3: 800k

i think 500M would translate to 8 million. 

@OP: this is HUGE. around 10 million week one?!

Would love to see the breakdown between platforms. PS4 should be the majority.

Remember that this takes into account any bundles and limited editions, so its not just straight maths.

Either way though, fantastic opening. Gigantic.

Around the Network

don't forget it's shipped

dyremose said:
Insane but do keep in mind that it still isnt profitable.. 500 million isnt enough when considering the royalty fee for platform owners and the cut from retail (if applicable) reduces the 500 million to an actual income of around 350 assuming both parties take up around 10 dollars off the 60 msrp. Now do keep in mind that this is just a rough estimate but point is that isnt quite on break even territory yet. Still better than most people here expected.

This is day one. They almost broke even. I wouldn't be surprised if they were profitable in the first week. This game will deliver a massive profit.

Wow that's huge. Wasn't its budget $500m? So it wouldn't be profitable yet.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Something like 93 copies sold a second over the first day, not half bad

bananaking21 said:
toastboy44562 said:
Can we assume 7 million copies day one then? I say 10 million week one. Destiny sales should look like:

PS4: 4.5 million
Xbox One: 3.5 million
Xbox 360: 1.2 million
PS3: 800k

i think 500M would translate to 8 million. 

@OP: this is HUGE. around 10 million week one?!

Some limited editions are more expensive.

But we dont know if they are counting PS4 bundles in that figure.