By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

DerNebel said:
Soundwave said:
Damagon said:
I just can't wrap my head around this. What does Microsoft grain from this? This whole thing is the exact opposite of the Tomb Raider deal. That was a wise move , this however, is not.

Minecraft has sold 54 million copies, how much more does MS think it will sell to warrant $2B? The game is already on everything and sales will only go down. Not even Minecraft 2 will be able to match the success of the original. Most of the sales were precisely because of the new gimmick, why don't you ask Nintendo what happens when your new popular gimmick is played out?

Is sticking it to Sony really worth 2 billion dollars? Because as of right now that's the only immediate gain I can see. Dropping support for rival consoles would surely bring the attention to your products (particularly mobiles) but I'll be damned if there aren't cheaper ways to do that.

The worst part is I can't see Mojang not taking the deal. I mean surely they know the franchise already passed its prime, and that the other IPs are nothing special. Unlike Squenix, them taking the money is actually the smart move.

They'd be idiots not to take this deal. 

Why? What does Mojang need $2 billion for?

Who doesn't need $2 billion dollars?

Most anyone would take that and run. Disney bought Star Wars for $4 billion and it's not like Lucas wasn't super rich but he couldn't turn down such a big offer. 

Star Wars is something that took Lucas two decades to build up too ... $2 billion for a single PC game you made? LOL. No one's saying no to that. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Madword said:

Not if there is an existing contract already in place. You cannot just buy a company and then ignore anything they've signed.

You're assuming there's some imaginary contract in place to begin with which I doubt. MS could just choke the future DLC from the PSN versions, I doubt there's any obligation on their part to have to support all versions indefinitely. 

I'm not assuming anything, someone made the statement that they could just remove the Sony versions if they wanted, I am saying not if there is a contract in place. If there isnt then of course they can, but as either of us don't know, I dont think we can just say MS can do what they like.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Wow. Mojang is really desperate to keep from making a Wii U version, huh?

I guess that would gravitate Minecrafters to the X1.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Its illegal, because in order to publish a game on any console requires a licensing agreement, which is contractual, with the manufacturer of said console. The owner of the IP is required to honor this licensing agreement as long as it lasts which would be the lifetime of the game. 

Thus, MS could make Minecraft II, Minecraft Racers, and Minecraft World exclusive, but they would be legally bound to keep Minecraft multiplatform.

Disney pulled Marvel vs Capcom from the market place last year (this year?). They plan to release their own fighting game.

Around the Network

2 Billion just like that..

Those of you suggesting that they should invest this money into first part development teams need to understand that this most likely has very little to do with the xbox division.

Headshot said:
2 Billion just like that..

Those of you suggesting that they should invest this money into first part development teams need to understand that this most likely has very little to do with the xbox division.

But then it has little to do with any other of their divisions either :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Soundwave said:
DerNebel said:
Soundwave said:

They'd be idiots not to take this deal. 

Why? What does Mojang need $2 billion for?

Who doesn't need $2 billion dollars?

Most anyone would take that and run. Disney bought Star Wars for $4 billion and it's not like Lucas wasn't super rich but he couldn't turn down such a big offer. 

Star Wars is something that took Lucas two decades to build up too ... $2 billion for a single PC game you made? LOL. No one's saying no to that. 

Who doesn't need $2 billion? In one word: Mojang

Sure Notch could still very well take the offer, if it even exists, but he really doesn't need it at all and I'm not to sure if Mojang wants to give up its independence for a sum of money that it doesn't need. I don't know maybe that's just me, but if I were in the position Notch is in (more money than I can ever spend, own an independent studio with an extremely successful game, which gives me the possibility to do whatever I want basically), I'd decline that offer, I'd see no personal gain in it aside from money that I'll never spend anyway.

Goatseye said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Its illegal, because in order to publish a game on any console requires a licensing agreement, which is contractual, with the manufacturer of said console. The owner of the IP is required to honor this licensing agreement as long as it lasts which would be the lifetime of the game. 

Thus, MS could make Minecraft II, Minecraft Racers, and Minecraft World exclusive, but they would be legally bound to keep Minecraft multiplatform.

Disney pulled Marvel vs Capcom from the market place last year (this year?). They plan to release their own fighting game.

licensing agreements are not infinite.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

2 Billion, that's like 10 times what they worth. I have a hard time believing this. MS could probably controlling interest in Capcom for less.