By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Exec Explains Why They Don’t Post Xbox One NPD Numbers Often, Defends Lack of New IPs

Ninsect said:

360 was never "killing" PS3 in sales. The reason it had a few million lead for so long was due to launching one year earlier. Other than that their sales were always quite close.

Compare that to the current situation where PS4 is outselling One by at least 3:1

No, the reason the PS3 took so long to come back to life wasn't the year head start. That is revisionist history (and incorrectly used in arguments daily). It was the launch of the slim model, price cut, rebranding (change to PS2 font etc.) and an awesome Kevin Butler campaign. After that, sales went through the roof and never stopped. Go on, look at the data. Here is an article talking about the woes of the console before it even launched and how the slim was hoping to turn it all around.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/eyeonasia/archives/2009/08/sony_to_release.html?campaign_id=rss_innovate

So basically Sony taught us that you're never dead as long as you've got great marketing guys working for you. I'm not saying MS has them, or will hire them, but the fact that it's been done should temper some of the bravado imo. 

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
Well, he can't really tell the truth so it's understandable. At least he's better at the PR thing than Yusuf Mehdi.

Most people are better at PR than Mehdi though...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Yeah I personally also wouldn't release NPD numbers at a time where the WiiU of all consoles proves to be a serious competitor (or an insurmountable wall if we were to trust VGC nubers 100%)....

It's interesting to see how the tables have turned this gen. I guess no more gloating from ms for a while.

They don't want people to know how bad its selling. Even the kincet less xbone 1 did nothing to boost sales

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network

For real? That was the best excuse they could come up with?

prayformojo said:
Ninsect said:

360 was never "killing" PS3 in sales. The reason it had a few million lead for so long was due to launching one year earlier. Other than that their sales were always quite close.

Compare that to the current situation where PS4 is outselling One by at least 3:1

No, the reason the PS3 took so long to come back to life wasn't the year head start. That is revisionist history (and incorrectly used in arguments daily). It was the launch of the slim model, price cut, rebranding (change to PS2 font etc.) and an awesome Kevin Butler campaign. After that, sales went through the roof and never stopped. Go on, look at the data. Here is an article talking about the woes of the console before it even launched and how the slim was hoping to turn it all around.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/eyeonasia/archives/2009/08/sony_to_release.html?campaign_id=rss_innovate

So basically Sony taught us that you're never dead as long as you've got great marketing guys working for you. I'm not saying MS has them, or will hire them, but the fact that it's been done should temper some of the bravado imo. 

You're not really countering what I said. Neither 360 nor PS3 did well at first. What I'm saying is that they were always quite close in numbers, with the gap expanding a few millions and contracting a few millions until PS3 sales increased significantly with the slim. Then Kinect came around and gave 360 another boost.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Don't hog it all. I want some too!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

prayformojo said:
Ninsect said:

nah bro...

Its da legs

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank