By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Review Thread - 77 meta

colafitte said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
colafitte said:
Nkh3 said:
RCTjunkie said:
It seems like there's a lot of critically disappointing games this year. Besides Last of Us, what's the highest rated game this year?

Dark Souls 2 ?

Is this the most disappointing year ever???, I really don't remind a year so bad in gaming scores and full of disappointments as this 2014. I've not played a really good 9/10 AAA game this year besides TLOU (and is a 2013 remastered game) and I don't know if I will play one the rest of the year. Dragon Age Inquisition??, AC Unity???, DriveClub???, ...

2015 really needs to be as huge as anticipated because 2014 has been really underwhelming.

Do you remember 2005 or 2006?

Didn't 2005 had games like God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Forza, Resident Evil 4, KH 2????? and 2006 games like Zelda TP, Gears of War, Oblivion, FF XII, ...???

I don't think 2014 is near of any of those years in quality AAA games....

I meant for 360 and PS3, i mean its not like you include and PS360 or Wii U games for this year

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
colafitte said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
colafitte said:
Nkh3 said:
RCTjunkie said:
It seems like there's a lot of critically disappointing games this year. Besides Last of Us, what's the highest rated game this year?

Dark Souls 2 ?

Is this the most disappointing year ever???, I really don't remind a year so bad in gaming scores and full of disappointments as this 2014. I've not played a really good 9/10 AAA game this year besides TLOU (and is a 2013 remastered game) and I don't know if I will play one the rest of the year. Dragon Age Inquisition??, AC Unity???, DriveClub???, ...

2015 really needs to be as huge as anticipated because 2014 has been really underwhelming.

Do you remember 2005 or 2006?

Didn't 2005 had games like God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Forza, Resident Evil 4, KH 2????? and 2006 games like Zelda TP, Gears of War, Oblivion, FF XII, ...???

I don't think 2014 is near of any of those years in quality AAA games....

I meant for 360 and PS3, i mean its not like you include and PS360 games for this year

In fact I include every platform. If I'd played a 9/10 or 10/10 game in a PS3 or X360 this year I would count it too, like some people are saying Dark Souls 2, but I did not.

colafitte said:

In fact I include every platform. If I'd played a 9/10 or 10/10 game in a PS3 or X360 this year I would count it too, like some people are saying Dark Souls 2, but I did not.

If that is the case: then yeah 2014 can be construed as dissapointing. At the same time, ratings or the studio that makes them aren't indicative of quality. I mean the very fact that you said they are so little quality AAA games means AAA doesn't equal quality all the time.

Not to mention, when has any console had good games on its first year? You mention the PS2's games, what did the 360 have Forza?

Not to mention, it is much harder to get a good score now then it was then, furthermore aggregation sites like Metacritic didn't even exist. When a score is considered part of a games avg score rather than a reviewers opinion of course its going to be weighted heavily towards that.

Not saying those previous years game we're bad, but what did God of War have to compete against as its predecessor?

2014 has to compete against all of the previous years combined, and the same will be true for 2015.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

super_etecoon said:
GamechaserBE said:
super_etecoon said:
I'm not seeing reviews from IGN, Gamespot, Joystiq, Kotaku, etc. Is this because of the embargo? Or am I just blind? Seems like those would be important scores to include in the aggregation.

Well most say they will take their time with possible a discussion between reviewers what to give the score etc..  

Gametrailers for example has some editorials talking about the game...

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/6yprqc/destiny-report--destiny-launch-recap

BTW, I did not know you were still around..

yeah...so I'm sure we're going to get a couple different looks at the game by next week..

and do I know you?

I certainly dropped off the site for a while...for a number of reasons...mostly a lack of interest as the last generation wound down...but with the next wave starting I felt compelled to return.

Not sure you remember me, 'Konnichiwa' if you remember.   I remember you because were also one of the first members and you have a huge post count so I must have missed your threads.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
colafitte said:

If that is the case: then yeah 2014 can be construed as dissapointing. At the same time, ratings or the studio that makes them aren't indicative of quality. I mean the very fact that you said they are so little quality AAA games means AAA doesn't equal quality all the time.

Not to mention, when has any console had good games on its first year? You mention the PS2's games, what did the 360 have Forza?

Not to mention, it is much harder to get a good score now then it was then, furthermore aggregation sites like Metacritic didn't even exist. When a score is considered part of a games avg score rather than a reviewers opinion of course its going to be weighted heavily towards that.

Not saying those previous years game we're bad, but what did God of War have to compete against as its predecessor?

2014 has to compete against all of the previous years combined, and the same will be true for 2015.

I know what you're saying, but I'm not considering start of end of generations, or just some consoles, I mean all the industry, from 3DS to PS4 and PC. I mean, this year, all the games that came this year that were meant to be the highlight or GOTY candidate have been really underwhelming or incomplete projects. 

And I don't think is more difficult to get good scores now than 10 years ago, last year you had TLOU and GTA V that had 95+ on metacritic and were as hyped as hell. To me TLOU is 10/10 game, GTA V a 9/10 game, AC IV to take an example a 8/10 game, Infamous SS a 7/10.....and Destiny is a borderline 6/10 game, if it wasn't for its shooting mechanics and gorgeous artstyle.

If Destiny was launched with the same gameplay as of now and the graphic technology of a game from 2006 or 2010 back then, would still be a 7/10  or 8/10 game.

If Watch Dogs, Destiny, Infamous SS, TItanFall have received less than 90 scores is because....they deserved them. It's not that the gaming sites are the only ones considering those scores, the players are too. Maybe some games back then were overrated like GTA IV was (for me was a 8/10 game), but even with this, GTA IV was a better game back then in 2007 than Destiny is now in 2014.

Oh, and I'm not basing my opinion of those games on metacritic scores, is just my opinion, my personal rating that the AAA games of 2014 are worse than the AAA games that were in 2005, 2006 or other years considered "weak" back then. I've been playing games for more than 20 years on PC and consoles so I have some perspective...

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
I'm not seeing reviews from IGN, Gamespot, Joystiq, Kotaku, etc. Is this because of the embargo? Or am I just blind? Seems like those would be important scores to include in the aggregation.

The GameSpot review is here and they gave it a 6/10! :S

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

The game isn't as great as people make it out to be. I still think it looks boring, same with Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and every other hyped game. Something tells me I'm gonna be heavily disappointed by The Order.

Areal-Llort said:
The game isn't as great as people make it out to be. I still think it looks boring, same with Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and every other hyped game. Something tells me I'm gonna be heavily disappointed by The Order.

The press is already disappointed with what they've been shown so far. It's a less interesting Gears of War type of cover shooter that's just pretty, and pretty is really all it has going for it.

NNID: TheCCluc

Destiny - Fall of Bungie.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Guess im gonna borrow the game before buying it to see if its interesting or not :S

PSN ID: clemens-nl