By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony vs Microsoft double standards?

Ka-pi96 said:
Ninsect said:
One is MS essentially breaking the law (they are advertising a game Sony and Activision signed a deal on) and the other is Sony choosing not to support EA Access (or so they say). I don't see the similarities.

They aren't all that similar no, but it is the reactions that are being compared here. To be fair, both Sony and Microsoft have gotten both criticism and praise for what they did, it just seems that some people praise one and then criticise the other. Would things be different if Microsoft and Sonys roles were reversed?

I doubt that. Sony decided based on what they think is right for the future of their platform while MS just did something unnecessary and completely out of bounds lol

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network

Let's be honest, shall we?....

It's EA, nobody likes them anyway.
=P

GribbleGrunger said:
kinisking said:

I'm not talking about ea access. Although if you want to I actually made 6 dollars off it already. So abuse isn't the term for it. Stop flicking downplaying just because it's not on your Console or you don't like ea. I'm talking about all the trolling they've done for this past year 

Ok, so you mean things like the 'sharing games' youtube viideo? That is fine in my eyes and if MS had done that I would have no problem with it at all. This is completely different. On one hand it's childish (like stamping your foot because you didn't get your own way) and on the other it's BAD business practice because they are deliberately going against a contract. Do you think Bungiie will be happy about that?

THIS is MS and always will be. It's the reason they're hated.

Bungee won't be happy? They won't be happy about raised awareness for their game and more sales? They won't? Wow. If anything Sony is mad. And no its hated because fanboys like you don't pay attention the the good things they have done. 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Objectively, if you look at all this from a position where you don't take a side, for a minute, you will realise that things always look worse when it's your "team" that gets the treatment, and you tend to overlook the moments when the other side gets the crap. It feels worse when you're on the receiving end.  But that doesn't mean it only happens to your side. Most get it about equally, but you don't realise it as long as you're too invested emotionally in the crap that is said or done about your favoured console manufacturer.

GribbleGrunger said:
kinisking said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Ka-pi96 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

This is a completely different situation. One is childish, the other is good business.

Trying to advertise a product on your system to increase revenue for both yourself and the products publisher is childish while limiting options and potential income is good business?

Limiting options? You do know that EA will use that service to slowly reduce demos and force you to pay for them?

And you know this how? Sources. Now. All this is a bunch of conspiracy. And demos never have the full game will early access does. I'm not paying for the demos. I'm not paying for the free games. I'm not paying for the discounts. I'm paying for all of it together. Oh yeah and that Early thing is a bonus

What's the new Sims demo like?

I don't like Sims so I wouldn't know? 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network
kinisking said:

Bungee won't be happy? They won't be happy about raised awareness for their game and more sales? They won't? Wow. If anything Sony is mad. And no its hated because fanboys like you don't pay attention the the good things they have done. 

Have you any idea how Destiny was lambasted on Gaf and other forums? Do you even know WHY MS chose to advertise it this way? Destiny was lambasted because people said it sounded like a 'cheap scent'. That's the context.

The PS5 Exists. 

Microsoft did nothing wrong. I'm pretty sure that Activision nor Sony own the Word "Destiny". They are advertising a fragrance named Destiny. Whatever conclusions people draw is on them. And in the end, Microsoft accomplished exactly what they intended. The internet is buzzing about Destiny on Xbox One. It was extremely well played by them.

Also, I'm pretty sure Microsoft has a huge legal team. I would assume this was run by them before it was done.

Ka-pi96 said:
Madword said:

That came in for Criticism from the Users.. Sony just said they didnt know and they hoped it would. So again, totally different from the situation people are complaining about. And Yes its still the userbase, but what MS has done in both counts is not particularly good.

We care because this is a gaming discussion forum first and foremost... some people are saying its ok and funny, but others are saying its not ok. That is a good discussion to have.

I personally dont think its ok (the ad was funny but from a business point of view it was wrong to do it). I also thought the TR deal was dodgy too, that was restricting a game that had already had previous games coming out on a platform just because of money, but that wasnt just an MS problem that was a SE problem. I hate those types of exclusivity deals... DLC I dont care as much about... but it is annoying.

That is what this thread is about though. Whether the regular users have double standards in regards to Sony and Microsoft, not what the companies themselves think.

I agree with a lot of your post actually
Although you criticise the Tomb Raider deal, have Sony too not made similar deals? Would you criticise them as well? If so, then fair enough, I can agree with you

Well to be fair if Sony pulled the stunt I would definately be less unhappy because i have a PS4... but I honestly still wouldnt like it. What I want from a console manufacturer is to make games that I wont get anywhere else... the keyword being *make*... I dont want to block them from other consoles or prevent games coming out that doesnt add value to the industry at all, I want them to invest in studios and make those games that wouldnt get made otherwise...

I purchased both TR on PS3/PS4... to me SE is more to blame than MS, but if the deal didnt exist there would have been no temptation for them to take it. Sony have certainly done deals like this in the PS2/1 days, but as I didnt like consoles back then, it didnt affect me. The most annoying on PS3 was the Fallout DLC, I loved that game, but DLC was delayed like 6-12 months on PS3... and I felt agrieved because I had *invested* my money twice in that game, on PC and PS3.

I just dont like the TR practice, i feel it adds no value, and I dont like it if Sony or MS do it. For small crappy DLC like what Sony is doing on Destiny... I feel less bothered by that, who cares about a special gun or hats or crap like that. But whole expansion DLC/Games... just no.

If you want a TR like game make it. For me it shows me what I need to know about MS, that they are not really serious about this business sometimes... , they are more interested in *just* winning, and for me that is not enough. Thats one of the major reasons I wont buy a XBO until it is really cheap, and only if DR3 hasnt come out on PS4.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

What's wrong with the Destiny Fragrance? I'm planning getting it.

Ka-pi96 said:

It's quite funny actually, they really didn't do anything wrong. They advertised the fragrance and then said, actually it's an upcoming FPS game, then had links to retailers to buy it. Funniest thing is, clicking on the Xbox website and straight on the first page is Destiny... so yeah, there fragrance thing is a lot less adverty than their own Xbox page...

No they didn't. What they actually said was:

Destiny is actually an epic new first-person shooter, available on Xbox. Thing is, we didn’t have permission to run adverts for the game. So we didn’t. Thanks for smelling that something was up. Now get the game and become a legend.”

It's been removed now though so you can't read it. I have NO idea why they've removed it.

The PS5 Exists.