By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony vs Microsoft double standards?

I'm very curious to see if Sony will press action on Microsoft about this. Microsoft isn't clearly advertising the game with a picture, but they clearly post about the game in an ad and talk about how they can't advertise it. Even though it's not incredibly direct, it's still advertising the game.

Now i'm not a lawyer so I couldn't say for sure, but i'll be interested to see if it goes anywhere.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

This is a completely different situation. One is childish, the other is good business.

Trying to advertise a product on your system to increase revenue for both yourself and the products publisher is childish while limiting options and potential income is good business?

Limiting options? You do know that EA will use that service to slowly reduce demos and force you to pay for them?

The PS5 Exists. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Madword said:

I made my point in the other thread, but basically Sony made a comment that they didnt think it was good value for customers. EA knew that the answer was no, they have an agreement with MS. EA will go where the money is, they wont be upset by this..

The second option you are trying to compare it to is totally different, this is a money deal where someone has come in and disrupted that deal. Sony have exclusive marketting for the game, they paid EA for it, EA were very happy to accept the money, these deals are done because it brings in money, EA would be very unhappy about this because it could set a dangerous precedent. Why get cash out of MS/Sony if they will just advertise it anyway.

If you cannot see the difference between the two stances, I cannot help you... but it's got nothing to do with Sony being liked and MS not, its about integrity.

So you know for a fact that what Sony said didn't annoy EA but what Microsoft did, did annoy Activision?

For all you know, EA could have been pretty pissed off at Sony, while Activision are currently laughing at how much extra attention Destiny has got because of this and are watching the preorder numbers multiply.

If you are going to speculate why speculate one as the best possible outcome and the other as the worst possible outcome? Can there not be both good and bad for both of them?

No i dont know, just like you dont know how much EA are upset about a comment about value for money, I guess i've just made my point ;)

I guess you dont know too much about business and the gaming world...if you did you would probably know that marketting deals that are exclusive are extremely lucrative and very important to the success of a game, but also a great way of saving money (as TV marketting is very expensive).

So what I am saying is (and please dont read between the lines)... from a business point of view... breaking a longstanding agreement with a company which has an exclusive deal is *way* more serious than a company saying *it's not for us*.  Companies can take criticism.. what they do not like is people messing with contracts or money deals.

Please dont take offence at this..but If you dont understand my last paragraph I can only assume you don't work in a business or in a position in a business to understand this.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Wagram said:
I'm very curious to see if Sony will press action on Microsoft about this. Microsoft isn't clearly advertising the game with a picture, but they clearly post about the game in an ad and talk about how they can't advertise it. Even though it's not incredibly direct, it's still advertising the game.

Now i'm not a lawyer so I couldn't say for sure, but i'll be interested to see if it goes anywhere.

Win win for them no matter what, they can sue make ms look like fools.  Or go big and leave it be just comment on it how some dont take things seriously and its unfortunete.  

Either way, they benefit and ms is the fool.  

GribbleGrunger said:
kinisking said:

Don't tell me Sony isnt childish. Trolling ms isn't childish.? 

How is refusing to open PSN up to abuse childish?

I'm not talking about ea access. Although if you want to I actually made 6 dollars off it already. So abuse isn't the term for it. Stop flicking downplaying just because it's not on your Console or you don't like ea. I'm talking about all the trolling they've done for this past year 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Oh really, so Microsoft have never been criticised for exclusive advertising deals before while Sony don't?

Of course they have. And I'm sure Sony has for Destiny deals they have. MS received criticism over accepting the EA Access thing, Sony for rejecting it. Both companies get criticism for a lot of things they do.

Now swap all the MS and Sony things above and the criticism would be the same.

Hmm, pie.

kinisking said:

I'm not talking about ea access. Although if you want to I actually made 6 dollars off it already. So abuse isn't the term for it. Stop flicking downplaying just because it's not on your Console or you don't like ea. I'm talking about all the trolling they've done for this past year 

Ok, so you mean things like the 'sharing games' youtube viideo? That is fine in my eyes and if MS had done that I would have no problem with it at all. This is completely different. On one hand it's childish (like stamping your foot because you didn't get your own way) and on the other it's BAD business practice because they are deliberately going against a contract. Do you think Bungiie will be happy about that?

THIS is MS and always will be. It's the reason they're hated.

The PS5 Exists. 

Ka-pi96 said:

Interesting you should say that.... maybe we should bring Tomb Raiders timed exclusivity into this discussion? That's pretty much an exclusive marketing deal and is (in Square Enix's eyes at least) very important to the success of the game. Yet how much criticism did that come under?

Yes, ok it probably is more serious. But that's a business thing between companies, why should us regular people who just play their games care about that?

That came in for Criticism from the Users.. Sony just said they didnt know and they hoped it would. So again, totally different from the situation people are complaining about. And Yes its still the userbase, but what MS has done in both counts is not particularly good.

We care because this is a gaming discussion forum first and foremost... some people are saying its ok and funny, but others are saying its not ok. That is a good discussion to have.

I personally dont think its ok (the ad was funny but from a business point of view it was wrong to do it). I also thought the TR deal was dodgy too, that was restricting a game that had already had previous games coming out on a platform just because of money, but that wasnt just an MS problem that was a SE problem. I hate those types of exclusivity deals... DLC I dont care as much about... but it is annoying.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

GribbleGrunger said:
Ka-pi96 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

This is a completely different situation. One is childish, the other is good business.

Trying to advertise a product on your system to increase revenue for both yourself and the products publisher is childish while limiting options and potential income is good business?

Limiting options? You do know that EA will use that service to slowly reduce demos and force you to pay for them?

And you know this how? Sources. Now. All this is a bunch of conspiracy. And demos never have the full game will early access does. I'm not paying for the demos. I'm not paying for the free games. I'm not paying for the discounts. I'm paying for all of it together. Oh yeah and that Early thing is a bonus

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

kinisking said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Ka-pi96 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

And you know this how? Sources. Now. All this is a bunch of conspiracy. And demos never have the full game will early access does. I'm not paying for the demos. I'm not paying for the free games. I'm not paying for the discounts. I'm paying for all of it together. Oh yeah and that Early thing is a bonus

What's the new Sims demo like?

The PS5 Exists.