By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - People Are Complaining About The Anime Schoolgirl Sony Used To Demo Its VR Headset

padib said:
Aura7541 said:

Because it does. Your (lack) of knowledge of Japan's culture doesn't forbid you from having your opinions about it. However! It forbids you from having a reasonable opinion about it. Meanwhile, everyone else has disagreed with you (me included) have shown your opinions with evidence based on our experiences in Japan and/or with Japanese gamers. Our sources of evidence are primary while yours are merely secondary. The fact you are very adamant about your opinion makes you ignorant.

And the sushi analogy is another one of your strawmans...

Are you japanese?

Have you lived in Japan?

If your answer is no to any of those two questions or any similar question, I prefer you stop with unreasonable opinions about people.

I may not have lived in japan, I may not be japanese, I still am capable of understanding the culture and having my own personal opinion about it.

Also, of note, I don't have strawmen in some kind of quiver. That is a fantasy.

Are you friends with Japanese (as in from Japan and not Japanese-American) gamers?

You forgot that question, rather you deliberately omitted it because it wouldn't fit your argument.

I may not have lived in Japan, I may not be Japanese, but I am close to quite a bit of Japanese gamers and thus, I am capable of understanding the Japanese culture and having my own personal opinion about it.

^ This is a much more persuasive response than the one you typed.

Around the Network
padib said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Well, that is partly because this topic is so offtopic right now that its currently orbiting Betelgeuse. 

This thread was originally about Complaints about Summer Lesson by the Western Media, complaining about a Demo made for a show intended for a Foreign Audience. 

And it is, believe it or not, still the topic of this thread. Notice, in almost 80% of my posts, the topic is feminism. You do understand how feminism is related to the complaints made on the game right?

Feminism might be related to the topic, but the topic is not Feminism. The topic is how western media views foreign cultures. Furthemore, everyone who is posted in this topic has a well-formulated understanding of why they disagree with this critcisim. There is no need to explain it, much less defend it because every culture's view is subjective. 

Not to mention, the "feminism" you mention is very culturally biased as feminism changes based on each culture it is in. For example, Many European Feminist beleive that bras and public indency laws in America are discriminatory against Women.

At the very least tollerance of other cultures, allows us to coexist. But that requires us to understand others opinions, which must be done if any progress is to be made in a discussion.

You are entitled to your opinions, but so is everyone else, and they are entitled to disagree with you. Which is why arguing with opinions are pointless.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

padib said:
Aura7541 said:

You did well, Tachi... You did well...

She did great. She showed how despite someone vehemently disagreed with her, she showed great patience and continued to present her points in a reasonable and logical manner. Even when that person continued to be uncivil, she still did not lose her patience and composed herself perfectly.

*Fixed

padib said:
Tamron said:

Let me ask you something.

As the game is intended for Japanese audience, and will only see a Japanese release, and is widely accepted as normal-fare as far as Japanese games go, is there any particular reason why you need to find disapproval in it at all?, what do you gain from disapproving of a game you will never play, and will never be available in any other country except the one where nobody actually finds issue with it?

Is it right to disapprove of something in such a situation?, because to me it's no different from finding disapproval in a particular religion, WHY do we have to disapprove of something that isn't related to us and is part of a culture we have never and will never be associated with?

Wouldn't the sane, logical thing to do, be to simply be ACCEPTING of social and cultural differences and leave it at that?, dissaproval in this situation is meaningless and shows nothing but the desire to push a personal agenda upon others in the hopes that they will share your beliefs, that isn't needed.

So I will suggest you simply accept the social and cultural differences and leave it at that.

Tamron, let me ask you a question.

If my religion did something you considered something you disagreed with, and a thread was made about the topic on an open forum, should I feel insulted if you mention your opinion on it, especially if you went into lengths to leave your personal judgement on the matter aside for as long as you could in favor of looking into understanding the topic?

That is pretty much what I did.

I gain nothing from voicing my disapproval of it. I thought I was on a public forum where debating topics was the purpose. Right now I'm starting to feel like if anything is said, no matter how politely, against something someone might identify with, I am malevolent.

Does that seem sensible to you?

Seriously, answer Tamron's questions straight on instead of asking more of them... And the answer to your last question is a no because you failed to do that former -_-"

Tamron said:
padib said:

If we are talking about this subject, I know that this kind of content is part of their culture, in their movies, in their video games. Do you think that my disapproval of it means I don't understand it?

Let me ask you something.

As the game is intended for Japanese audience, and will only see a Japanese release, and is widely accepted as normal-fare as far as Japanese games go, is there any particular reason why you need to find disapproval in it at all?, what do you gain from disapproving of a game you will never play, and will never be available in any other country except the one where nobody actually finds issue with it?

Is it right to disapprove of something in such a situation?, because to me it's no different from finding disapproval in a particular religion, WHY do we have to disapprove of something that isn't related to us and is part of a culture we have never and will never be associated with?

Wouldn't the sane, logical thing to do, be to simply be ACCEPTING of social and cultural differences and leave it at that?, dissaproval in this situation is meaningless and shows nothing but the desire to push a personal agenda upon others in the hopes that they will share your beliefs, that isn't needed.

So I will suggest you simply accept the social and cultural differences and leave it at that.

i take exception to the notion it will never be available in any other country than Japan on the grounds of 'nooooo why are you doing this to me!?!?!? please, please bring it here'

it will be the first step to actually being inside an anime. SAO and all... let's make it happen!

Around the Network
padib said:

Tamron, let me ask you a question.

If my religion did something you considered something you disagreed with, and a thread was made about the topic on an open forum, should I feel insulted if you mention your opinion on it, especially if you went into lengths to leave your personal judgement on the matter aside for as long as you could in favor of looking into understanding the topic?

Define something i disagreed with?, stoning a woman to death is something I will disagree with and openly object to, but that no longer becomes a situation of respecting cultural, social or religious differences and instead respecting basic human rights.

If on the other hand it was just a cultural, social or religious difference that did not physically harm anyone in it's native country, and did not effect those of difference countries or religions, i wouldn't even join the discussion because it's a complete non-issue.

padib said:

I gain nothing from voicing my disapproval of it. I thought I was on a public forum where debating topics was the purpose. Right now I'm starting to feel like if anything is said, no matter how politely, against something someone might identify with, I am malevolent.

Does that seem sensible to you?

You approached it entirely wrong, voicing an opinion is fine as long as you understand not everyone will agree with it - your error comes in the form of taking the stance of being completely defiant of arguments against your opinion to the point of belittling the views of those that brought said points to you, when Tachi made it very clear she would no longer discuss the topic with you, you couldn't even help yourselfbut take a stab at her and belittle the entire discussion by brushing off everything she said as "her misunderstanding", as such you are not having a polite and open discussion, you are enforcing your opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Me not being the first person to point this out to you should be causing alarm bells.

padib said:
Aura7541 said:

Seriously, answer Tamron's questions straight on instead of asking more of them... -_-"

I have nothing to hide, what particularly in his post did I miss and did you want me to address?

Or did you just want to bash me more?

Then answer his questions for goodness sakes. Your rudeness is not getting you anywhere nor was it getting you anywhere for the past few days in various other threads, too. The fact that you, specifically, have a huge problem communicating with others sticks out like a sore thumb. You are reluctant to engage in constructive discussion and instead point the finger at other people when they have actually been constructive. I have never seen any other VGC user who has this huge of a problem with other users, so you really need to fix yourself.

Someday in the future, it will be sexist to even think about women with anything sexual on mind. Humanity will then begin to die out.

Thanks, ̶o̶̶b̶̶a̶̶m̶̶a̶ feminists!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

padib said:

Tachi grossly misunderstood me, and used that as her final "adieu" to me in the thread. If that doesn't ring a bell in your mind, I don't see why I should care about your point.

@position. So what is your opinion on me disagreeing with the culture? I disagree with it, am I not allowed?

I'll ask again, since you've thus far avoided answering.

Why would you need to disagree or disapprove?, if you know disagreeing with or disapproving has zero impact, wouldn't the best thing to do be to at the very least be respectful of this difference and simply accept that difference? if so, why not just be accepting?

padib said:
Aura7541 said:
padib said:
Aura7541 said:

Seriously, answer Tamron's questions straight on instead of asking more of them... -_-"

I have nothing to hide, what particularly in his post did I miss and did you want me to address?

Or did you just want to bash me more?

Then answer his questions for goodness sakes. Your rudeness is not getting you anywhere nor was it getting you anywhere for the past few days in various other threads, too. The fact that you, specifically, have a huge problem communicating with others sticks out like a sore thumb. You are reluctant to engage in constructive discussion and instead point the finger at other people when they have actually been constructive. I have never seen any other VGC user who has this huge of a problem with other users, so you really need to fix yourself.

So what about it do you want me to answer exactly? Because in my mind I answered it.

Tell me what to focus on and I will try again.

I have already told you what to focus on and you didn't try again. And you still haven't answered Tamron's questions directly. Instead, you beat around the bush.

And your @position question was already answered long ago, but because you were so focused on bashing others just because they disagreed with you rather than actually discussing, that you forgot to pay attention.