By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces new Xperia Z3... with ps4 streaming..

ktay95 said:
Sony-For-Life said:
As much as I love Sony I must say this, Z3 is God awful of a phone, I mean WTF sony? this streaming shit happens over Wi-Fi and if they wanted they could port this to Z2 and Z1 as well, other than that do they expect people to go buy Z3's over Z2(wich is 200$ cheaper) because of that 250mhz overclock of the CPU? or because of that slightly increased brightness? Z2 and Z3 are exactly the same thing, dammit Sony :-@ so disappointed...

Welcome to smartphones, where the new model is almost the same as the old model =P

Yeah buddy but no my first smartphone was Xperia X10, and no Xperia Z1 vs Xperia Z bigger and better screen, better battery life, better camera and MUCH better CPU/GPU, now Z2 vs Z1 is not better by much but at least they used the latest cheap from qualcomm wich was 6 months ago Snapdragon 801 and Z2 got a bigger screen, much better battery life and much better screen quality with stereo speakers, now the only diff between Z2 and Z3 are what? 250mhz CPU speed increase and 70mhz GPU increase, I wer hoping for at least snapdargon 805, damn u Sony :-@

Add me if u want :)

Around the Network
NewGuy said:

For the people saying "Poor Vita" or whatever, this is a longtime coming and just the beginning IMO.

1) PSM is vita only now. Android phones were holding back PSM to basically bad ports or simple games. PSM Unity and Dev kit are either free or extremely cheap. This will allow quick and easy ports of iOS and android games.

Had to cut down the post because it was so big.

First bolded, (as a huge Vita fan) I agree entirely, this is coming, it's going to completely change everything in the long term, this is just the start of a seismic shift in our technology (also shifting from big dedicated "desktops" "set top boxes") though there is still a market for Vita as it is showing in Japan (physical controls go a long way as far as gamers are concerned, this is also the reason 3DS can stay relevant at this stage).

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sony have another go at an Xperia play in the future once mobile markets become more stable as far as technology goes, the Xperia player was for me, a perfect idea, that hit the market at the wrong time, and was under utilised by Sony (I think it was the Ericsson part of Sony that did it though, hence SCEI not being keen to allow too much on it under the "PlayStation" label. I think an Xperia PlayStation may well be Sony's next handheld both in phone handset and tablet form with physical controls onboard being the differentiating factor.

As for the second part, actually it's on regular phones. My HTC One (m7 so last gen) has PS Mobile on it :) but yes, it was definitely Sony's way of trying to bridge mobile phone games with dedicated handheld gaming. It actually works well there's been some solid PSM releases. Sadly because they're phone games, mainstream gaming media completely ignores these.

Unity is definitely a solid breakthrough for Sony. There's clearly a dedicated userbase on Vita who want games, iOS/Android have been getting some high profile games, however the lack of on board physical controls completely puts me off. If Sony can get these onto Vita without too much commitment from the developers, it's  an outright win win.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

elazz said:
Munkeh111 said:
Now I'm pretty pissed at my Z2... a whole 4 months out of date, should have known. Though there's definitely a chance of me getting it at some point {also, it's a fantastic phone}

In all seriousness there are a few things, firstly the Z3 itself has the same size screen as the Vita (pretty much), much higher resolution but not OLED. Having played Transistor on my Vita yesterday (while sitting in literally the same seat I would to play on the PS4), it played fine, but I don't get such good performance in other parts of the house

You also have to remember that only half the games are actually playable either due to tiny text or poor control reassignment. FIFA 14 is impossible because of the lack of the second trigger

So, the XPERIA Tablet Compact 3 fixes all these! 8" screen and then playing on DualShock 4 will be far better than a Vita. Z3 and Z3 compact will both be marginally better than the Vita given the DS4 and their far better (and more expensive) industrial design

So anyway, I think it is a really good move from Sony. I might well pick up a Tablet Compact, but I'm mostly hoping this comes to the XPERIA Z2

Well, the app will probably get a port in its first day for the Z2 by the community if it is not Sony providing an update. That will also mean that the Tablet Z2 would be able to play remote play and with smart cover on a 10" screen it would be awesome. 

Else the Z3c tablet will be a good choice. 

I don't really want a tablet, so I really hope that it does come to the Z2... or ideally my laptop, but even though it's Vaio that's never going to happen

Munkeh111 said:
elazz said:

Well, the app will probably get a port in its first day for the Z2 by the community if it is not Sony providing an update. That will also mean that the Tablet Z2 would be able to play remote play and with smart cover on a 10" screen it would be awesome. 

Else the Z3c tablet will be a good choice. 

I don't really want a tablet, so I really hope that it does come to the Z2... or ideally my laptop, but even though it's Vaio that's never going to happen

Wouldn't they be in danger of competing a bit to strongly with the PS TV box (which is a tiny set top box which will be able to do this for any device with a HDMI input)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Munkeh111 said:

Wouldn't they be in danger of competing a bit to strongly with the PS TV box (which is a tiny set top box which will be able to do this for any device with a HDMI input)

The PS TV has other things going for it, nearly all can be replicated by a laptop or tablet (with HDMI or I guess some good mirroring). It still has the USP of Vita games

Around the Network

This is nice, but would have bought the Z3 Compact regardless of this feature.

This best be coming in an update for the z2, considering the only spec difference is 2.3 quad to 2.5 in the z3 I don't think it would make a difference

I'm so glad I don't have to buy a Vita for PS4 streaming.

Portable consoles are so pointless in the era of Smartphones.

I think the main point here is that without a controller you cannot game on the Z3. The PSV on the other hand you can take with you anywhere just pull out and play. How many people will carry around a DS4 with them as they travel on public transport or commute to play on their Z3? At home you are probably better off playing on the PS4 or PlayStation TV.

Maybe if PSNOW is released on the Z3 or future Sony phones it may be worth the hassle and where a local WiFi connection is not needed, but until then I dont see this as a huge selling point.

There goes the Vita's only selling point...