By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS3 will at least equal the lifetime sales of the Wii, in Europe

tombi123 said:

Nintendo made it very clear that the Ds was the follow up to the Gameboy. Also having Pokemon helps, Brain Training took off on the Ds, but Brain academy didn't for some reason on the Wii.

I should have made it clear that Brand can only go so far, it is just that the Playstation brand can go further than most. Taking a third of the handheld market away from Nintendo (which no other company has ever been able to do) is testament to that. 

It should also be said that Mario isn't as popular in Europe as he is in NA. He is definitely popular, just not as. 

First off the PSP hasn't taken one third of the Handheld videogame market because (as software sales demonstrate) the PSP is not being used as a videogame machine.

Beyond that the fundimentals matter far more than brand ever will. Certainly the fundimentals will improve for the PS3 over the next few years but will fall far short of where the Wii will be. By the time the PS3 hits $250 the Wii will be $150 or less; and by the time the PS3 gets its first batch of "AAA system seller games" released the Wii will begin seeing sequels to its "killer" games, and will have a large list of upcomming games announced.

Around the Network

Well this region is where metal gear solid and Gran Turismo are strongest so it those 2 titles will help them out more than anything else

Posting the sales since PS3 debut actually works against the case being made. Because it captures the early-adoptors of the PS3 (while ignoring the early Wii adoptors) and the system still cannot outsell the Wii.

It might get close in Europe, only because of brand loyalty. But Nintendo can drop the price close to 25 pounds or 35 Euro and still make money on the console sales.

I do think the PS3 will catch and pass the Xbox 360.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I just don't see it happening, and all the talk of games and price cuts and brand names just don't cut it for me, since the same could have been said about the N64 and GameCube and possibly the Xbox to an extent (have no idea what games and how many good ones there were on it). I need some hard facts, and as right now, I see the Wii outselling the PS3 by 20k each week in Others.

And MGS4 might be big in Europe, but it only sold 2.42 million in Others. So unless those 2.42 haven't bought a PS3 yet, or plan on buying it for MGS4, it won't just won't help it enough. And GT5 I don't think will even come out this year.

Tombi, it's sad. You are throwing pure fanboyism everywhere!

Let's start:

1. brand means nothing!

if it did, the cube was supposed to sell 120 million

2. it's a new world

it's not the mid 90's no more nor is it the time ps2 was flourishing anymore.

The 360 could have won this gen for all we know!

3. Handhelds

Sony is doing good because the psp is like a great handheld entertainment device now. The ds not so much. (when you talk about video and skype)

last but not least.....

4. Games!

Winning consoles get tons of games planned for them in advance. The Ps3 gor a ton of games planned for it in advance cause of the ps2's success was thought to have "rubbed on" to ps3. look how that turned out.

Tombi, next time, leave your fanboyism at the door.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
Around the Network

As far as UK being in more stock as tombi123 claims, he's probably right. In comparison to other places, that is. After all, how else could the Wii sell in the last 5 weeks nearly 200k versus the PS3 just over 100k? Just proving, when the Wii is more in stock, it sells better. Amazing, isn't it?

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Anything is possible its early days atm, we will see what happens in next 4 to 5 years.

I honestly See the Console wars happening like this-

PS3- very similar to Sega Genesis(except the markets are larger now) strong NA and Europe presence, Japan as weak point. Low software compared to HW

360- N64 esque(closest I could come up with) Great NA sales, then good others sales(I would add Japans to others)

Wii- It really will not compare to other consoles. it will chart it own path... closest thing I can think of is the DS... But the Wii has started faster than that...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

tombi123 said:

I wouldn't say the Wii is dominating the PS3 in 'Others'. HappySqurriel posted the figures early on. Since the PS3 launch, the Wii has outsold it by about 1.3-1.4M units, this isn't domination and it is hardly irreversible. In-fact given price difference, I would say it is quite encouraging for the PS3.

You might not realise that the PS3 actually launched during that period, and wii launch 4 months before the timeline in question.. so even with launch sales, PS3 was still behind the wii by 1.3-4M units.. i'm not sure how you can say its not domination

tombi123 said:
There are no supply problems for the Wii in Europe.

Since christmas it is a rare event to find a Wii in my local MediaMarkt. Christmas the Wii and DS left the shelves and both had only short returns and often disappear fast. Last time I looked, the DS that I saw the time before were all away and three Wii were available. I'm sure if I look today or tomorrow, they are away, like the last times.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]