By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 "stumbles where it counts"

This game has been climbing the charts on Amazon out of no where.

Around the Network

This is the game on PS4 I'm the most interested in... I'm not overly optimistic for it now though. No coop and gameplay seem to be lacking. Friends with the console you don't own come in handy in these cases.

SvennoJ said:
It managed to reel me in from the get-go and keep my attention until the very end.
I finally had a moment to soak in The Order's world, and all I wanted was for it to be over.

Which is it?

Action packed demos are never a good idea to introduce a game. You get thrown in, ushered along, have no experience with the tools yet, etc. The worst was Enslaved: Odyssey to the west. Which is one reason why we don't get demos anymore. Just wait for reviews from people that actually play the whole thing.

I never even heard of that game before untill my brother gave it to me, ended up liking it a lot. I dont know about the reviews of the game or even the score since I already had it without knoing about it, but all that should not matter anyways. I think if this is your type of game, you wont really think what anyone says about it and your going to buy it. Like me,  dont like multyplayer shooters, so it dosent matter how great people talk about destiny or COD, I still wont get them even if they score a perfect 10.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

CGI-Quality said:
JayWood2010 said:

Its no secret that Uncharted is a great cinematic game but its shooting mechanics were not ever its strong point. More so its strong point was character developement, cinematics, animations, and mostly story. What was so good about gears was not only its fluid gameplay or its story, but how well the gameplay translated singleplayer to multiplayer.

Yes Uncharted would def be an influence when it comes to cinematics and character developement, though that doesnt really have much to do with the genre but as for gameplay Gears has been the standard for gameplay for quite some time now. Whether it be Horde, singleplayer, or multiplayer Gears really became the full package when it comes to TPS games.  With a fluid coverbase system,  hardcore finesse movement that would distinguish a good player from an average player in multiplayer, interesting weapons, coop story, or a coop multiplayer in horde.  Its hard to argue that Gears hasnt been the biggest influence on the TPS genre when it comes to gameplay since it was released back in 2006 and that is the exact reason you hear about any game that has a coverbase system in TPS over the shoulder view get compared to Gears. 

Frankly Tomb Raider and Uncharted dont play like gears and are popular for entirely different reasons.

Hmmm..... I don't think Gears has the pull it once did, and I find more third person shooters, of late, following closer to Uncharted's more versatile gameplay and, of course, cinematic style. I just don't hear much about Gears anymore (and this is coming from someone who's favorite third person shooter is the original Gears).

Gears certainly paved the way, while I feel like Uncharted brought something else to it.

I think you both have a good point, but neither will compare to resident evil 4. Gears might have imrpoved it, althou I dont like it and uncharted changed it a bit and is the new standart, But RE4 was perfect in my opinion. Mainly cuz the guns in both uncharted and gears feel very pointless. It did not matter what gun you had, you could have beaten anyone and any boss with any gun wich just felt empy to me. The order seems to bring a bit of strategy to the mix and thats something RE has done great on(obviously excluding RE6). For me at least, the real standard for a third person shooter should be RE4.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

CGI-Quality said:
eva01beserk said:
CGI-Quality said:

Hmmm..... I don't think Gears has the pull it once did, and I find more third person shooters, of late, following closer to Uncharted's more versatile gameplay and, of course, cinematic style. I just don't hear much about Gears anymore (and this is coming from someone who's favorite third person shooter is the original Gears).

Gears certainly paved the way, while I feel like Uncharted brought something else to it.

I think you both have a good point, but neither will compare to resident evil 4. Gears might have imrpoved it, althou I dont like it and uncharted changed it a bit and is the new standart, But RE4 was perfect in my opinion. Mainly cuz the guns in both uncharted and gears feel very pointless. It did not matter what gun you had, you could have beaten anyone and any boss with any gun wich just felt empy to me. The order seems to bring a bit of strategy to the mix and thats something RE has done great on(obviously excluding RE6). For me at least, the real standard for a third person shooter should be RE4.

Much of what you say is true, but each game deserves their time in the spotlight of standards. Right now, I'm 100% with you on Uncharted, it has set a new standard. However, no denying Gears of War's push in this genre. In regards to guns, though, I think Uncharted's make perfect sense, given the circumstances, but Gears of War's weaponry is nearly second-to-none! They may have been pointless in some instances (though fighting an infected Brumak at the end of Gears 2 could only have been done with the Hammer of Dawn), but pointless or not, they add to the greatness of the franchise, and that deserves an "A".

Can you realy count the hammer of dawn as a wepon? You can only use it at certain events and for certin bosses, so it really was not like an option unlike in RE. You cant even unequip that gun if I remember right. I get what you mean about uncharted, since in real life any bullet will kill you and they where going for realisim, but i really cant give that excuse to a fantasy monsterr shooter like gears. Still a good game, loved playing it with my brother, but I just hate the feel of that type of wepon roster. Makes the game feel like a COD and I really hate those games.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
I just read it on IGN. It's disappointing to say the least but there's still a lot of time until it launches and this is just one man's opinion.

Even if it will end up being crap that wont matter since it looks good. Todays "gamers" (actually mainstreamers) dont care about the gameplay in games but about A) the visuals B) action C) ads on tv etc. So as long as it has propper marketing it will sell because the game already delivers in A+B

Would you care to give some examples?

Ready at Dawn wasnt ready. They should've let Sony Santamonica be the lead with this project or at least create one of their own. Game looks great but not with Ready at Dawn at the helm. I know Sony wants to prep these companies on their road to becoming AAA Sony devs but this is a bit much to swallow knowing how long they've been making games for Sony. I'll still check out the game as I love the story.

Damn , just saw IGN first preview on this, by Colin Moriarty.

Colin is the biggest PS fanboy on IGN, if even him has mixed feelings, i am worried. Let's hope.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
enditall727 said:

Oh lord

I hope this game doesn't end up pulling a "Knack" when it comes to review scores.

Aint nobody got time for another game to come out being TRASH.

Every... fucking... time you turn around, a game you were seriously looking forward to comes out and ends up being TRASH. EVERY FUCKING TIME!!!

PLEEEEEEAAAAAASE dont let this happen with The Order. PLEASE!!

If its happening every time then stop getting hyped for shitty games :P.

If there was a way to know that a game would end up being shitty right after watching the first trailer, then i would but there isn't a way to actually know if a game is shitty or not until it is released.

To give an example, Knack was the number 1 game that made the PS4 reveal exciting to me. It was the 1st next gen game revealed AND it WASN'T just some shooting game. It was very refreshing, a platformer with a mascot worthy looking character(like the old days) and the story looked like it was going to be Pixar-good.

The 2nd game that made the show for me was Driveclub. It was a new ip, it was refreshing and wasn't some generic ass'd shooter, and it looked good.

The last game that made the announcement for me was The Witness. It was, once again, refreshing from the shooting genre, colorful, imaginitive looking and it was a new ip.

These were the 1st 3 games i was planning to get on my PS4.

Knack(The number 1 game that gave me excitement for the next generation) came out and was TRASHED by reviewers. I'm still going to try the game though but i'm probably going to end up agreeing with the reviews and will probably hope that the next Knack installment is a much better improvement.

Driveclub still hasn't released yet and The Witness hasn't released either.

I also am trying to avoid getting PS3 built games on PS4.

phantom0 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
seems like he is complaining about how bad he is at playing the demo, and blaming the demo for it.

already at  the "blame the writer phase"

Most of the journalists who work for a major publication suck ass at video games, and it often comes down to their lack of skill as to why they bash a game.  Unless the game is given a free pass because it's advertised as a difficult game, this happens way too often.