By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why so much hate for the "New" Nintendo 3ds???

The issue is not hard to see.
We only know about one exclusive game. But, do you seriously think Nintendo doesn't have others in the work in order to push the new model? That's assuming both would be sold along side each other. The 3DS was not doing as well as the DS, but it was doing fine for its own. As a result there are plenty of people who recently purchased it. Now we learn that there is a redesigned, or even perhaps successor, to the 3DS just four years later.

As well as the current 3DS is doing, many feel like it wasn't time yet to force them to upgrade to the new model in order to continue playing the expected-Nintendo first party offerings. I suppose though that Nintendo can be defended in sticking to shorter cycles for handhelds in the past (in regard to GBC->GBA and GBA->DS)
Admittedly, this does look like a GB->GBC type of progression. Technically two gens in one. However, this still affects recent buyers of the current 3DS model.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:

The issue is not hard to see.
We only know about one exclusive game. But, do you seriously think Nintendo doesn't have others in the work in order to push the new model? That's assuming both would be sold along side each other. The 3DS was not doing as well as the DS, but it was doing fine for its own. As a result there are plenty of people who recently purchased it. Now we learn that there is a redesigned, or even perhaps successor, to the 3DS just four years later.

As well as the current 3DS is doing, many feel like it wasn't time yet to force them to upgrade to the new model in order to continue playing the expected-Nintendo first party offerings. I suppose though that Nintendo can be defended in sticking to shorter cycles for handhelds in the past (in regard to GBC->GBA and GBA->DS)
Admittedly, this does look like a GB->GBC type of progression. Technically two gens in one. However, this still affects recent buyers of the current 3DS model

no it doesnt, GBC didnt come out till 9 years after GB

what websites are people going to? ive seen more postive than not. Im more baffled than angry. Either A) they make a bunch of new games for this thing, exclusive so they can push it and justify its existance and piss off a bunch of people and destroy some trust. Or B) they dont make that much exclusives but if they dont people will wonder what the poitn was and they will really think its a cash grab then.

Jumpin said:
AZWification said:

I've seen many Nintendo fans hate on the New 3DS though... :S

Out of stupidity or selfishness?

Out of selfishness I guess!I was one of them at first... :S

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I'm made because it should have been the 2011 launch model to begin with. And the name sucks.

I got a 3DS in April of 2011. It launched Feb. 26 of the same year.
I bought a 3DS XL in Oct. 2013 before the launch of Pokemon X and Y.

Now less than a year after buying the latest model it's been rendered irrelevant. The New 3DS shits on the old 3DS models in every way imaginable -- it's even cheaper!

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
FiveOVER said:

Imagine if it becomes a trend. If you buy a ps4, xbox one or vita, and then three years into their life cycle, sony and microsoft releases a new revision with exclusive games uncharted and halo. Are you really okay with that? I'd spit on sony's face if that happens.

Sony did do something similar like that though.

When? I can't think of any examples of Sony releasing a hardware revision with exclusive software mid gen.

DSi was also different even though similar simply because it never really had any exclusive software that existing DS owners would have missed.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

while i don't care about this at all. I can't help but laugh at the people comparing this with the game boy and game boy colored. the OG Gameboy was released in 1989 and the Colored was released in 1998. They are a generation apart and the Colored was the successor for the OG Gameboy. this new 3DS is being released only 3 years after.
However, I have never cared for anything nintendo so this affects me not in anyway. If you feel it is good stuff for you, more power...

DialgaMarine said:
Sorry if you mentioned this in the OP or if people have said it a million times, but it's because Nintendo has essentially alienated the almost 45 million people who have already bought a 3DS by making a model that has the same price and hardware, but still somehow gets exclusive games. If there were exclusive features for it, that's be one thing, but exclusive games is basically them saying "Hey we know you purchased one already to play all 3DS games, but f*ck you, buy another".

I know this is the same business model that Smartphones have been using for years, but they've been seeing success because they're dedicated to many different fuctionalities, versus the 3DS which is dedicated strictly to gaming.

Everyone would agree with you and wouldnt accept that if it was not a nintendo console.

No matter how you see it, it's disgusting for 3DS buyers and very worrying if the others are inspired by nintendo model for their console" hey, my X1 is not enough powerful, what if we make a better console for 2016, after all, nintendo did and nobody complained", and those who say " GBC" seem to not remember it didnt came 3 years after but  9 year after GB, so this has absolutely nothing to do with this dick move.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

MikeRox said:
tbone51 said:
FiveOVER said:

Imagine if it becomes a trend. If you buy a ps4, xbox one or vita, and then three years into their life cycle, sony and microsoft releases a new revision with exclusive games uncharted and halo. Are you really okay with that? I'd spit on sony's face if that happens.

When? I can't think of any examples of Sony releasing a hardware revision with exclusive software mid gen.

DSi was also different even though similar simply because it never really had any exclusive software that existing DS owners would have missed.

He is probably talking about the PSP redesign that doubled its RAM. But it isn't nowhere close to similar because the amount of RAM reserved for games was kept the same so every PSP title is compatible with models with 32MB or 64MB of RAM. The extra memory only allowed better multitasking.

torok said:
MikeRox said:
tbone51 said:
FiveOVER said:

He is probably talking about the PSP redesign that doubled its RAM. But it isn't nowhere close to similar because the amount of RAM reserved for games was kept the same so every PSP title is compatible with models with 32MB or 64MB of RAM. The extra memory only allowed better multitasking.

exactly, people are just reaching with this. many who wont admit Nintendo is being dirty and coy with this. Same people who will jump to critisize MS or Sony if they ever try to attempt something as dodgy as this.