By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma on how Nintendo approaches the open world in Zelda U

spemanig said:
prayformojo said:

I sure hope that I can still play the game with the pro controller for which I am entirely in love with.

It's taking obvious notes from Wind Waker, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Also, the pro controller is the single greatest controller ever crafted.

The single greatest dual analog controller without a DOUBT. You wanna know something? I bought mine more than a month ago. Since that time, I still haven't had to charge the damn thing once. As a matter of fact, it's still saying half charge as of today lol. I don't know how they got such amazing battery life into that thing but damn, Sony and MS need to take notes. 

Around the Network
prayformojo said:

The single greatest dual analog controller without a DOUBT. You wanna know something? I bought mine more than a month ago. Since that time, I still haven't had to charge the damn thing once. As a matter of fact, it's still saying half charge as of today lol. I don't know how they got such amazing battery life into that thing but damn, Sony and MS need to take notes. 

I've had mine for over a year. I've charged it four times lol.

I hope it's like Metroid Prime: after awhile of wandering you get a message: "go here," but good luck figuring out how to do that. No more overtly scripted "help x people and they give you x MacGuffin to finish quest" like the other games.

RushJet1 on: 

Bandcamp

YouTube

Twitter

RushJet1 said:
I hope it's like Metroid Prime: after awhile of wandering you get a message: "go here," but good luck figuring out how to do that. No more overtly scripted "help x people and they give you x MacGuffin to finish quest" like the other games.

That doesn't make sense within the narrative structure of Zelda. Why would Link be told to go to random point a for no reason. Samus has a reason and her quest is structured linearly. Link wouldn't and this quest would be structured openly.

I still think they should go back to the original Zelda where there is a triforce shard in each of the eight dungeons. That's all. Turn on the game and there are eight beacons. Go.

Seems that there'll be a map in the gamepad, interested to know more about this game

Around the Network
vivster said:
the_dengle said:
vivster said:
Yay. Finally we have even in Zelda quest arrows that are pointing to the goal so we don't have to think anymore and can stare a t a red pointer instead of enjoying the scenery or exploring the world.

Is this a Slowpoke joke post at Skyward Sword's expense?

SS already had this? Sorry, one of the few I didn't play.

Then it makes even more sense to do it in an open world :)

In SS you could use the sword for dowsing.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Sounds awesome. I hope they're really taking advantage of the hardware, not just with a Gamepad map.

spemanig said:
RushJet1 said:

That doesn't make sense within the narrative structure of Zelda. Why would Link be told to go to random point a for no reason. Samus has a reason and her quest is structured linearly. Link wouldn't and this quest would be structured openly.

I still think they should go back to the original Zelda where there is a triforce shard in each of the eight dungeons. That's all. Turn on the game and there are eight beacons. Go.

Yeah, the "random points" would be the triforce shards or whatever else they need to be in the context of the story

RushJet1 on: 

Bandcamp

YouTube

Twitter

"We can achieve this thanks to the hardware features of Wii U, but to truly get a deep understanding of the game world, we also need a real map that depicts the world as it is. The GamePad is very effective for displaying this, and thus also [for] providing players with a constant hint on where to head to."

I think this is the key part. To me, I don't read into that that the gamepad will just display a static map: that's hardly something that only the Wii U could do. What if you get a real time, over-head display of the overworld? If you don't know where to go, take a look at your gamepad: what's changed? Is something happening? Think about what happened when you left the Temple of Time in Ocarina, and Death Mountain was red. Think about how Navi talked about the cold winds coming from Zora's Domain. Instead of having your companion tell you the world has changed, your gamepad display will have the hint. Maybe smoke is coming from Death Mountain, or the flow of a river has changed, a lake has ran dry, villagers are on the move. A locked gate has opened. Maybe there's going to be cause and effect at play, to avoid too much linearity. Done one thing in one part of the map, something opens up somewhere else: these events wouldn't need to happen in a set order.

Aonuma says the game needs "a real map that displays the world as it is", and I think that's crucial. It gives you two perspectives on the game. The personal perspective of the hero on the television, and the wider perspective across the whole world on the gamepad. It'd fit into the idea of a feature you can use as much as, or as little as, you like, in order to gain access to secrets. Just want to explore? Don't look at the gamepad. Need a hand? Check out your "real map", displaying the world as it is.

Asriel said:
"We can achieve this thanks to the hardware features of Wii U, but to truly get a deep understanding of the game world, we also need a real map that depicts the world as it is. The GamePad is very effective for displaying this, and thus also [for] providing players with a constant hint on where to head to."

I think this is the key part. To me, I don't read into that that the gamepad will just display a static map: that's hardly something that only the Wii U could do. What if you get a real time, over-head display of the overworld? If you don't know where to go, take a look at your gamepad: what's changed? Is something happening? Think about what happened when you left the Temple of Time in Ocarina, and Death Mountain was red. Think about how Navi talked about the cold winds coming from Zora's Domain. Instead of having your companion tell you the world has changed, your gamepad display will have the hint. Maybe smoke is coming from Death Mountain, or the flow of a river has changed, a lake has ran dry, villagers are on the move. A locked gate has opened. Maybe there's going to be cause and effect at play, to avoid too much linearity. Done one thing in one part of the map, something opens up somewhere else: these events wouldn't need to happen in a set order.

Aonuma says the game needs "a real map that displays the world as it is", and I think that's crucial. It gives you two perspectives on the game. The personal perspective of the hero on the television, and the wider perspective across the whole world on the gamepad. It'd fit into the idea of a feature you can use as much as, or as little as, you like, in order to gain access to secrets. Just want to explore? Don't look at the gamepad. Need a hand? Check out your "real map", displaying the world as it is.

This.

This is awesome. Now I hope this is what he meant !