By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma on how Nintendo approaches the open world in Zelda U

im sure it will be a good looking cartoon.

its the only wiiu title in the foreseeable future i will be buying and i will be looking forward to it as a zelda game fan.

i do get a chuckle when they overplay wiiu hardware though.

Around the Network

Sounds good.

Why isn't this game already out?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

LiquorandGunFun said:

im sure it will be a good looking cartoon.

its the only wiiu title in the foreseeable future i will be buying and i will be looking forward to it as a zelda game fan.

i do get a chuckle when they overplay wiiu hardware though.

Well to nintendo it is pretty powerfull so i see what he means. Also what they achieved on older systems with zelda has me pretty hyped.formthis one

mZuzek said:

We can achieve this thanks to the hardware features of Wii U, but to truly get a deep understanding of the game world, we also need a real map that depicts the world as it is. The GamePad is very effective for displaying this, and thus also [for] providing players with a constant hint on where to head to. I think we can safely say that the innovations in this new game are only possible thanks to the Wii U hardware.''

This is probably the best news I can take from this interview. It probably means they're not trying to tack on some stupid GamePad gimmick.

It doesn't guarantee the game won't have a central gimmick, but it's already a good relief. It also probably means this will be playable on the Pro Controller - hopefully the Wiimote Plus too?

The central gimmicks arent really that bad, IMO.

I miss the shrinking gimmick dearly, for instance

"where to go next"

this doesnt necessarily mean one location it could be multiple locations,,

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
Asriel said:
"We can achieve this thanks to the hardware features of Wii U, but to truly get a deep understanding of the game world, we also need a real map that depicts the world as it is. The GamePad is very effective for displaying this, and thus also [for] providing players with a constant hint on where to head to."

I think this is the key part. To me, I don't read into that that the gamepad will just display a static map: that's hardly something that only the Wii U could do. What if you get a real time, over-head display of the overworld? If you don't know where to go, take a look at your gamepad: what's changed? Is something happening? Think about what happened when you left the Temple of Time in Ocarina, and Death Mountain was red. Think about how Navi talked about the cold winds coming from Zora's Domain. Instead of having your companion tell you the world has changed, your gamepad display will have the hint. Maybe smoke is coming from Death Mountain, or the flow of a river has changed, a lake has ran dry, villagers are on the move. A locked gate has opened. Maybe there's going to be cause and effect at play, to avoid too much linearity. Done one thing in one part of the map, something opens up somewhere else: these events wouldn't need to happen in a set order.

Aonuma says the game needs "a real map that displays the world as it is", and I think that's crucial. It gives you two perspectives on the game. The personal perspective of the hero on the television, and the wider perspective across the whole world on the gamepad. It'd fit into the idea of a feature you can use as much as, or as little as, you like, in order to gain access to secrets. Just want to explore? Don't look at the gamepad. Need a hand? Check out your "real map", displaying the world as it is.

That sound cool and all, but I'm 100% sure he's just talking about a regular map on the gamepad.

mZuzek said:

There's some good ones and bad ones, but I don't want one in Zelda Wii U.

The shrinking one is probably the most pointless one for me. It essentially consisted of shrinking to cross some small wooden bridge and going back to normal size at the other side. They really did almost nothing interesting with it. The wolf gimmick was pretty bad as well.

A Link Between Worlds, however, absolutely nailed it with the wall mechanic.

There's no way there won't be a gimmick. I just how it isn't a hardware gimmick.