By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crystal Dynamics confirms Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive

Beating around the bush. It's obviously coming to the PS4.

There may be a deal that prevents them from saying "it's not a true exclusive" but there is no deal to prevent them from saying "the game is 100% exclusive to Xbone". It's actually beneficial for MS to just confirm the life-long exclusivity. So why not just do that? because it is timed exclusive

Looking forward to the release of the PS4/PS3 editions but not buying either.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:

Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?

Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

I don't think he would mention the PS4 if it's not eventually coming to the platform. 

Where does he mention the PS4 in that quote? He's only saying 'yes' to the deal having a duration. Why can't people see how they're being manipulated here?

The PS5 Exists. 

LurkerJ said:

There may be a deal that prevents them from saying "it's not a true exclusive" but there is no deal to prevent them from saying "the game is 100% exclusive to Xbone". It's actually beneficial for MS to just confirm the life-long exclusivity. So why not just do that? because it is timed exclusive

Looking forward to the release of the PS4/PS3 editions but not buying either.

I generally dont reward this kind of behaviour... so I wouldnt buy TR when it's released on PS4... it's not how you treat the userbase. So in a sad kind of way (as I dont like games companies doing badly), I hope they get burned by the deal... everyone knows its for cash, and we all know SE dont have alot of that...but there were better things they could have done to not make this such a mess.

It's a bit like the Plants Vs Zombies deal, 6 months.. but in that 6 months, the XBO version had already dipped massively in price and got deals etc. Why would I want to reward EA with buying the PS4 version at full price...not going to happen. Same with Tomb Raider.

If it is 6 months, that puts a release around May time, which by 2016 I expect a new Rockstar game - probably Red Dead or Bully and by the time TR comes out, it's going to tank on PS4.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I still think the real question that should be asked and nobody is asking is why a game that will be released on hollidays 2015 will also be released on Xbox360 ? Seriously it wont even manage to come close to competting with Uncharted if it is a CrossGen game.

Panama said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Panama said:
Hope MS paid them enough to offset killing the franchise after such a successful reboot.

If a bunch of mediore Tomb Raider games didn't kill the series, why would this?

They did kill the franchise though, hence the reboot :^)

No, the franchise is Tomb Raider. They didn't kill the franchise, they rebooted it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
LurkerJ said:

If you read the original statement when it was first announced it said "We’d like to work with those of you who don’t own an Xbox One and find ways for you to participate in our campaign right alongside those who do.Thank you" (you cannot read it now, they edited it to say something else within like 20 minutes of posting), they expected the PS/PC TR fanbase to get behind the game and promote it, but as the backlash suddenly exploded they edited that part out as it was just insulting.

Everything they do now seems to be trying to stop the constant flaming of MS, CD, SE and TR.  Despite what people claim not all publicity is good, and TR being exclusive isn't.

So we get misleading statements like this mini FAQ with answers that don't actually answer the questions being asked and only make it sound like PC/PS4 versions are coming without actually stating they are.

They still want the fanbase to promote this thing.

This makes sense. This could be why they are not being upfront about the game being 100% exclusive. I am back to speculation mode. Not that I care anyway. The reboot was a massive letdown. It's not a tomb raider game at all. I wonder if people remember how massive tomb raider games were...

sounds good, but we still have uncharted only on ps4 ^^

sony is not microsoft!!!

KylieDog said:
LurkerJ said:

If you read the original statement when it was first announced it said "We’d like to work with those of you who don’t own an Xbox One and find ways for you to participate in our campaign right alongside those who do.Thank you" (you cannot read it now, they edited it to say something else within like 20 minutes of posting), they expected the PS/PC TR fanbase to get behind the game and promote it, but as the backlash suddenly exploded they edited that part out as it was just insulting.

Everything they do now seems to be trying to stop the constant flaming of MS, CD, SE and TR.  Despite what people claim not all publicity is good, and TR being exclusive isn't.

So we get misleading statements like this mini FAQ with answers that don't actually answer the questions being asked and only make it sound like PC/PS4 versions are coming without actually stating they are.

They still want the fanbase to promote this thing.

Some people are delusional.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Microsoft is co publishing and paying for the development of the game Phil came out and said he wouldn't help development of a game if it shows up on the competitors platform. Just look at Titan Fall, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. Microsoft doesn't own the ip of those games, but what Microsoft does own is the name of the game and the assets they use to make the game (sound effects,music and graphics mainly). This is why Ninja Gaiden 2 (published by Microsoft) has a different name and different graphics on the ps3 version. They can release rise of the tomb raider technically on the ps3/ps4 but it has to go under a different name and they have to have all the graphics and music redone. I don't see that happening. The other option is Square Enix pays Microsoft for the rights to the name and the assets which is more likely.

Ka-pi96 said:
HaloReach2014 said:
what does timed exclusive mean

It means it will be exclusive to Xbox for only a limited time, it's not known how long, but after that it can and probably will release on other platforms.

oh that is a bad idea then