By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why XB1 Will Not Achieve The Sales Of Its Predecessor Not Even In US

Will the XB1 come close to 360s sales anywhere?

yes it will match or beat it WW 23 5.82%

Yes but only in US and Uk 40 10.13%

yes but only in tier 3 countries 15 3.80%

No 317 80.25%

Total:395

Probably not, but the 360 was very successful.

Even 40 million would be impressive for the X1. That's a large enough audience to move tons of software.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Finally, someone who understands me!

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

CDiablo said:
Smear-Gel said:
Yeah, the fact that many people had up to even 4 Xbox 360's due to RROD is never talked about for some reason.

People never talk about the high failure rate of fat PS3's(I had a 20 gig and a 60 gig fry on me well before 2010 as well as a 360) either. We dont know how this gens first gen hardware will turn out, I would hope MS learned its lesson.

OT: The vast majority of failed XBOXes were replaced under warranty. I think X1 wont sell as much cause they will lose some marketshare to PS4 for various reasons.

10% is high? Well, considering that on average, new electronics have a 15% failure rate (study done in 2006, when PS3 released and 360 was already out), 10% is actually good (although, most studies showed it at 5% or below. But I'll go with the highest reported rate just for argument's sake). Especially when the most comparable items (desktops and laptops) had 30%+ failure rates at the time. 

Now, compared to that 68% failure rate of the 360 (yes, 68%. 68 out of 100), well....to say "well, nobody ever talks about the PS3" is just laughable.

And yes, many XB360s were replaced under warranty, but that wasn't acknowledged until 2007. 68 out of 100 failures for 2 years? No free replacements there; people bought multiple new consoles. Now, according to VGC, right before MS acknowledged the problem (July 7th, 2007), the XB360 was at 10.4M. How many of those 10.4M were 2nd buys, 3rd buys? That 10.4M could have very well been only half or a 3rd of real and active XB360s. And even after the warranty program and a dip in the failure rate, which was still higher than average, nearly half of that lowered rate were problems not covered by the RROD warranty (DREs, video card failures, and more), so still, an unacceptably high number of consoles were breaking.....just not for the more notorious reason, and weren't replaced for free. In light of this knowledge, as XB360s numbers kept going up, how many of those purchases were rebuys, before they got a fail rate under 15% (late 2009)? 

We know that XB360s numbers are padded, but I don't think people are realizing to what extent they are padded. 

CDiablo said:
Smear-Gel said:
Yeah, the fact that many people had up to even 4 Xbox 360's due to RROD is never talked about for some reason.

People never talk about the high failure rate of fat PS3's(I had a 20 gig and a 60 gig fry on me well before 2010 as well as a 360) either. We dont know how this gens first gen hardware will turn out, I would hope MS learned its lesson.

OT: The vast majority of failed XBOXes were replaced under warranty. I think X1 wont sell as much cause they will lose some marketshare to PS4 for various reasons.

So you're saying none of the Xbox 360,s being replaced contributed to it's sales numbers?

they will drop x1 earlier than x360.
5 years max.*
i expect half x360 sales.

*i think ps4 sucess will force ms to start 9 gen early.

a balanced generation is longer than a dominated generation...

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:

The 360's library was really dry ever since the Kinect came out...

You spelt Wii wrong... it's library post-2010 consists of Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, and 4 versions of Just Dance.  The 360 on the other hand has had a steady stream of top selling AAA titles every year of its lifespan... and 6 of its top 10 best selling games were released at holiday '10 or later, as well as 11 of its top 20.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

GamechaserBE said:

It is sad an it annoys me that people still use to dare the word 'NEVER' on VGchartz...

As an old member who came back to this site I can't stand the word 'NEVER' anymore because It was used in so many projections in the past that in retrospect were dead wrong...

Some of the oldest member all will remember the famous  'The Xbox 360 will not or Never pass 50 million sold'.   That thread was like made two years after the release of the console, it was in that time that people laughed with people who believed it can pass 50 million....And if you dare to say that PS3 will pass it aswell you must be the town idiot....   or one of the other 2500 threads with never in the title that were so wrong.... 'Kingdom Hearts 3 will never be on a playstation/xbox console because of the success of the Wii' or 'Final Fantasy XIII will never be on X360 because of XXXX'

While Xbox one has been released in less countries and has competition from day one it has sold better than Xbox 360 which had no competion and was released in like 20-30 countries more = so we can assume that Xbox one 'never' will be so succesfull as Xbox 360...

The Xbox 360 was released for 2-3 years and people assumed it would not reach 50 million and they were dead wrong....so what is the chance of you being right of assuming something after 10 months of a consoles release....  

I don't say you will be wrong but I just want to make it very clear that people should not jump to conclusions to fast...it is only 5-6 months ago that people believed PS4 will destroy Wii U sales in Japan....Today those same people will have a huge party if PS4 weekly sales can beat Wii U weekly sales in Japan again...

This guy gets it.

I wish we could view a long list of predictions people made between 2005-2008. It would be so funny to see how wrong they all were lol

Will the XB1 come close to 360s sales anywhere?

Closest will be Japan.

You got to give the Xbo some credit that at this rate, even after all the controversy is still able to outsell the DREAMCAST.

Yeah, that whole rrod argument is getting old. These numbers are always skewed since alot of people buy multiple consoles (both 360 and ps3). I myself bought two, but sold one used.

I do agree though that X1 won't reach the heights of its predecessor. Then again, I don't even think PS4 will reach those levels since I believe this generation will drop off much earlier.

What I do wonder though, is how much ahead of the 360 is X1 in the US right now, for the comparable time period?