By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Strategy Is To Not Pull A Sega

i dont see one reason how nintendo could be the next sega.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:
pokoko said:
"Lastly, PC sales are a cause for concern. Many developers are afraid to bring their games to PC because they know it will get pirated and generally have very low sales."

Sorry, stopped reading there. Author seems to be making things up.

I dont understand, isnt this a real and legitimate concern developers have?

Are they?  What are the sources for that?  Let's take a look at Ubisoft data from this summer:

"Breaking down the company's revenues by platform, the PlayStation 4 accounted for 36 percent of all sales, more than twice that of any other system. The Xbox One and PlayStation 3 were next with 17 percent of sales each, while the PC and Xbox 360 trailed with 14 percent each."

That's 14 percent from a console-centered publisher.  That's a far cry from "very low sales".  Speaking of which, from Ubisoft's 2012-2013 3Q sales conference call, Far Cry 3 sold 3.5 million on console, 1 million on PC.  Not that much lower than each individual console and certainly worth the effort.

That varies widely, of course, with some games not doing quite that well and others doing much, much better on PC.

Nintendo will not go 3rd party. Sony has the highest chqnve chance to do thqt in a decades tim.

Nintendo wont fall on its sword the way Sega did, it'll fall a different way. A way I cant predict, Nintendo can be very unpredictable, especially when backed to a corner like they are now.

Nintendo won't fuck up like Sega! Sega went down because of failed systems like Sega CD and the Sega Saturn! Besides, I don't think Sega even had that much money at the time!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Smear-Gel said:
pokoko said:
"Lastly, PC sales are a cause for concern. Many developers are afraid to bring their games to PC because they know it will get pirated and generally have very low sales."

Are they?  What are the sources for that?  Let's take a look at Ubisoft data from this summer:

"Breaking down the company's revenues by platform, the PlayStation 4 accounted for 36 percent of all sales, more than twice that of any other system. The Xbox One and PlayStation 3 were next with 17 percent of sales each, while the PC and Xbox 360 trailed with 14 percent each."

That's 14 percent from a console-centered publisher.  That's a far cry from "very low sales".  Speaking of which, from Ubisoft's 2012-2013 3Q sales conference call, Far Cry 3 sold 3.5 million on console, 1 million on PC.  Not that much lower than each individual console and certainly worth the effort.

That varies widely, of course, with some games not doing quite that well and others doing much, much better on PC.

I dont know about low sales, but I was under the understanding that piracy on PC was a big problem.

Smear-Gel said:
pokoko said:
Smear-Gel said:
pokoko said:

I dont know about low sales, but I was under the understanding that piracy on PC was a big problem.

piracy is not that big anymore since steam, it´s possible to make alot money on pc, especially since the costs for licensing go down

Brotherstotheend said:
Smear-Gel said:
pokoko said:
Smear-Gel said:
pokoko said:

piracy is not that big anymore since steam, it´s possible to make alot money on pc, especially since the costs for licensing go down

Well that's good at least. Maybe everyone eventually just making games for PC is an inevitable future after all.

Nintendo has had the number one handheld for a long time that seems like ever. The Wii U is currently outselling the Xbox One. The have the best first party titles in the world. The more I hear someone talking crazy, the more I want to stay with a Nintendo console. So Nintendo won last gen but is currently in second this gen, and I'm hearing Nintendo should go third party. I don't want to hear about third parties either, cause Nintendo is knocking it out the park right now with exclusives. Super Smash Bros, Devil's Third (and some might scuff but that game is on my radar), Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors all comes out this year.