By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 outselling Xbox One 3:1 in 2014

Ninsect said:
Reasoning being?

WiiU is doing even worse than GC. XBOX One slightly better than XBOX 1 currently. PS4 breaking PS2's record. I don't see why not. Once the big games start coming out we'll see some domination, starting with Destiny.

PS4 beat PS2's launch record in the US (and probably Europe). But that's really not enough on its own.

In Japan, PS4 has sold 653k since launch. For comparison, PS2 sold about 980k at launch, and 1.41 million units by the end of the launch month.

In Europe/Australia/North America, PS2 launched late October or in November (depending on specific region). By March of the next year, adding in Japanese sales numbers, Sony had shipped 10.6 million units. Much of this was Japan sales, of course - Sony's figures give 5.86 million outside of Japan. Using VGChartz numbers for those regions, we have 5.37 million. So in March, PS4 was tracking around the same as PS2 outside of Japan, and much worse inside Japan. Note that up to March has been corrected, and is consistent with data from other tracking companies.

By the end of June 2001, PS2 was at 9.01 million shipped outside of Japan. For comparison, if we assume 600k more between March and June than VGChartz has recorded, and none of that is in Japan (so all of July and the first week of August are being assumed, for this, to have no contribution to the "undertracking"), we're at about 8.6 million. If we assume it's spread more evenly, then by end of June we're at around 8.4 million.

So even if you're being generous, the best you can assert is that, outside of Japan, the PS4 is performing about the same as the PS2 did. Of course, realistically, we have to include Japan... where PS4 is doing far worse. And considering that, up to the start of Gen 7, Japan represented about 25% of PS2 sales, that's a pretty big chunk that's now missing.

As for Wii U, it's worth once again noting that things have shifted since the release of Mario Kart 8. The Wii U has held a healthy 60k per week every week since, with no additional support (note: "healthy" relative to what it was doing before MK8 released). If it only sold that much per week for the entire financial year, it would sell 3 million units. Now factor in bump weeks, holiday sales, and a likely price cut some time late this year or early next year, and it looks like Wii U has picked up the pace. Just to give you a sense of numbers, Gamecube averaged about 110k per week during the first six months of its second full financial year (April-September 2002). In that time, it received Super Mario Sunshine (Japan+NA), Resident Evil, Super Smash Bros Melee (PAL), and Star Fox Adventures (Japan+NA), to name a few. The point of that list, by the way, is that each of those games would have given the Gamecube a distinct bump... so how high do you think GC sales would be during its baseline? So while the Wii U might have been doing significantly worse than Gamecube before, it's now doing a more reasonable number.

Of course, I've been talking from the perspective of baseline sales. If you look at the average since the release of MK8, it jumps immediately to 75k per week. Note that Hyrule Warriors just released in Japan, and the sales numbers are in... Wii U sales in Japan jumped to 13.6k the week before, and kept going up to 18.2k the week it released.

Xbox One had a much stronger launch than the original Xbox. Xbox shipped 1.5 million in North America at launch through to the end of 2001. Xbox One sold (not shipped) 1.8 million in the US alone through to the end of 2013. Through to the end of 2002 (March-December), Xbox shipped 1.8 million to Europe. Xbox One has sold 1.2 million units in Europe to date (November-early August). Considering that this means it's missing August-November (a traditionally strong period) while Xbox was missing January-February (which is traditionally weak), this puts Xbox One on fairly strong footing in Europe. Xbox shipped 3.57 million in the US in its first 13 months. In 10 months, Xbox One has sold 3.2 million in the US.

Of course, some people are going to try to argue against what I've posted here, while missing the actual point. Hopefully, they read this last bit, and understand. My post isn't actually about the comparisons between PS2/PS4 and Gamecube/WiiU. It's about the fact that things can change. PS4 sales patterns have weakened when using the PS2 as a reference. Wii U sales patterns have strengthened when using the Gamecube as a reference. Xbox One has slightly weakened when using the Xbox as a reference, but not significantly so.

It's not about the actual numbers. It's about change. Looking at what it's done on average since launch isn't a good measure for determining future performance. And no, citing Destiny isn't a good way to argue why PS4 will strengthen and the others won't, since Xbox One has some notable (and some timed) exclusives, and Wii U has Smash Bros with Amiibos coming soon and Zelda next year (among some other notable titles, of course). All systems have some big-hitters on the way. You can anticipate strong performance for PS4. But it's absurd, based on what we know right now, to predict PS4 "domination".

Around the Network
BeElite said:
prinz_valium said:
BeElite said:
prinz_valium said:

ur right, but it wont countinue

first half 2014 was the big post supply shortage era
first half 2014 was the big japan launch

now we got tier 2 xbox one countries
kinectless sku and budle "pricedrops"
abysmal ps4 sales in japan

the ratio for second half of 2014 will be 1.5-2:1 imho in ps4 favour (probably more in the mid. not the edges of this range)

Ahh good old hopes and dreams, no facts numbers reality based proof of any of that potentially happening.  

Just so you know things in Murica have not improved at all this year, things in Europa only been getting worse.  Not exclusives or price cuts or new sku has changed that.

stop quoting and respond to me, if u still dont read and get posts...

look at the bold. there are u damn facts i base my assuption on.

Your posts make no sense and follow no logic to writing and structure of an argument, and your arguemnts lack any facts or logic for th emost part

Tier 2 is about 5% bump for X1, differnce they will make will be irrelevant to overall weekly monthly yearsly sales. 
Kless sku has already failed, check last NDP.
Japan has been irrelevent to the wellfare of PS4 since its been reveald.  

We are 10 days away from the 9th month of the god damn year, if you were even remotely right about anything at all X1 would be getting out sold less and less already not more so then eariler in the year.  Get it  ? sales wise its been worse for X1 now then it was the first couple months.  

u really talk about logic?

u dont have any logic

the first half of 2014 has a 3:1 sales ratio in favour for the ps4

including the post supply shortage time.

german ps4 sales for h1 2014 was bigger than inital lauch sales. (will be probably the same for rest of europe excluding uk) 250k vs 290k units

for referance: ps4 sold ~ 2.1m units at lauch in the us, but only ~1.5m h1 2014. u dont see the difference, i think

ps4 launch in japan was big. 350k units first week. now its selling 5-7k a week

xbox one wont relase in any tier2 countries

obox one didnt do a kinectless bundle "pricecut" and now include a free game also for the pre and holiday season

sure that all wont happen in h2 2014 or already did in h1 2014. nothing has changes

stop trolling.

but maybe u really belive what ur saying

prinz_valium said:

u really talk about logic?

u dont have any logic

the first half of 2014: has a 3:1 sales ratio in favour for the ps3

including the post supply shortage time.

german ps4 sales for h1 2014 was bigger than inital lauch sales. (will be probably the same for rest of europe excluding uk) 250k vs 290k units

for referance: ps4 sold ~ 2.1m units at lauch in the us, but only ~1.5m h1 2014. u dont see the difference, i think

ps4 launch in japan was big. 350k units first week. now its selling 5-7k a week

xbox one wont relase in any tier2 countries

obox one didnt do a kinectless bundle "pricecut" and now include a free game also for the pre and holiday season

sure that all wont happen in h2 2014 or already did in h1 2014. nothing has changes

stop trolling.

but maybe u really belive what ur saying

I have no clue wtf you are trying to say in most of your sentances, you just write shit and expect some one to decode what you mean ?

Do you not know how to write a paragraph ? use commas or a period ? when to end and start a sentance?  

Aielyn said:
Ninsect said:
Reasoning being?

WiiU is doing even worse than GC. XBOX One slightly better than XBOX 1 currently. PS4 breaking PS2's record. I don't see why not. Once the big games start coming out we'll see some domination, starting with Destiny.

PS4 beat PS2's launch record in the US (and probably Europe). But that's really not enough on its own.

In Japan, PS4 has sold 653k since launch. For comparison, PS2 sold about 980k at launch, and 1.41 million units by the end of the launch month.

In Europe/Australia/North America, PS2 launched late October or in November (depending on specific region). By March of the next year, adding in Japanese sales numbers, Sony had shipped 10.6 million units. Much of this was Japan sales, of course - Sony's figures give 5.86 million outside of Japan. Using VGChartz numbers for those regions, we have 5.37 million. So in March, PS4 was tracking around the same as PS2 outside of Japan, and much worse inside Japan. Note that up to March has been corrected, and is consistent with data from other tracking companies.

By the end of June 2001, PS2 was at 9.01 million shipped outside of Japan. For comparison, if we assume 600k more between March and June than VGChartz has recorded, and none of that is in Japan (so all of July and the first week of August are being assumed, for this, to have no contribution to the "undertracking"), we're at about 8.6 million. If we assume it's spread more evenly, then by end of June we're at around 8.4 million.

So even if you're being generous, the best you can assert is that, outside of Japan, the PS4 is performing about the same as the PS2 did. Of course, realistically, we have to include Japan... where PS4 is doing far worse. And considering that, up to the start of Gen 7, Japan represented about 25% of PS2 sales, that's a pretty big chunk that's now missing.

As for Wii U, it's worth once again noting that things have shifted since the release of Mario Kart 8. The Wii U has held a healthy 60k per week every week since, with no additional support (note: "healthy" relative to what it was doing before MK8 released). If it only sold that much per week for the entire financial year, it would sell 3 million units. Now factor in bump weeks, holiday sales, and a likely price cut some time late this year or early next year, and it looks like Wii U has picked up the pace. Just to give you a sense of numbers, Gamecube averaged about 110k per week during the first six months of its second full financial year (April-September 2002). In that time, it received Super Mario Sunshine (Japan+NA), Resident Evil, Super Smash Bros Melee (PAL), and Star Fox Adventures (Japan+NA), to name a few. The point of that list, by the way, is that each of those games would have given the Gamecube a distinct bump... so how high do you think GC sales would be during its baseline? So while the Wii U might have been doing significantly worse than Gamecube before, it's now doing a more reasonable number.

Of course, I've been talking from the perspective of baseline sales. If you look at the average since the release of MK8, it jumps immediately to 75k per week. Note that Hyrule Warriors just released in Japan, and the sales numbers are in... Wii U sales in Japan jumped to 13.6k the week before, and kept going up to 18.2k the week it released.

Xbox One had a much stronger launch than the original Xbox. Xbox shipped 1.5 million in North America at launch through to the end of 2001. Xbox One sold (not shipped) 1.8 million in the US alone through to the end of 2013. Through to the end of 2002 (March-December), Xbox shipped 1.8 million to Europe. Xbox One has sold 1.2 million units in Europe to date (November-early August). Considering that this means it's missing August-November (a traditionally strong period) while Xbox was missing January-February (which is traditionally weak), this puts Xbox One on fairly strong footing in Europe. Xbox shipped 3.57 million in the US in its first 13 months. In 10 months, Xbox One has sold 3.2 million in the US.

Of course, some people are going to try to argue against what I've posted here, while missing the actual point. Hopefully, they read this last bit, and understand. My post isn't actually about the comparisons between PS2/PS4 and Gamecube/WiiU. It's about the fact that things can change. PS4 sales patterns have weakened when using the PS2 as a reference. Wii U sales patterns have strengthened when using the Gamecube as a reference. Xbox One has slightly weakened when using the Xbox as a reference, but not significantly so.

It's not about the actual numbers. It's about change. Looking at what it's done on average since launch isn't a good measure for determining future performance. And no, citing Destiny isn't a good way to argue why PS4 will strengthen and the others won't, since Xbox One has some notable (and some timed) exclusives, and Wii U has Smash Bros with Amiibos coming soon and Zelda next year (among some other notable titles, of course). All systems have some big-hitters on the way. You can anticipate strong performance for PS4. But it's absurd, based on what we know right now, to predict PS4 "domination".

WOAH the PS4 is selling less in the SUMMER?! You're blowing my mind man, I can't believe a console would actually sell less in the Summer months. Crazy, it's not like this has been happening every single year since gaming started. Nope I guess PS4 is doomed now. Oh well. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

prinz_valium said:

the ratio for second half of 2014 will be 1.5-2:1 imho in ps4 favour (probably more in the mid. not the edges of this range)

The free bundles have already been proven not to work (Titanfall). The Kinectless bundle has been proven to be completely ineffective also. The only thing that will have changed in the second half is the tier 2 countries, which will add 5k to the XB1 baseline at best. The only hope XB1 has of it not continuing at 3:1 is for the COD, SO and Madden bundles to be effective which, judging by amazon.com bestsellers isn't going to happen. They've dropped much lower than the Destiny PS4 bundle ever has and will combined probably sell less, which means any effect they may have will be cancelled out by Destiny and the ratio will continue to be the same.

Around the Network
true_fan said:
Captain_Tom said:
true_fan said:

I seriously wonder about the ps4 fanbase, you guys just make up what every topic to somehow put ps4 on this pedestal. ps4 is in 72 countries worldwide vs 13, even if those other territories were 20-30 thousand units total per week for the XB1 that be a significant difference.

I can't wait for the Holidays when ps4 has no games to compete with FH2, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo MCC.

You mean the holiday Driveclub, LBP3, and TLoU will be selling like crazy?  Yeah I can't wait to see LBP curbstomp the competition either...

Seeling like crazy huh? Maybe if certain people bought more games Sucker Punch wouldn't be facing mass layoffs, but I digress. You guys have more faith in driveclub than sony does, they barely have even showed the game, we have mainly been looking at gifs.

Sony have barley showed driveclub? There is quite literally hours of footage on youtube :p Not surprising you haven't seen any though, given your disposition ^^

Some games sell well, some don't. Not every single platform exclusive title is going to sell on the level of TLOU, Uncharted or Halo.

Interestingly though, inFamous: SS has already outsold every X1 exclusive title, despite launching several months later. If it didn't make enough money to cover its development costs then that's Sony's fault, but sales wise it's been pretty successful (and is on track to be the highest selling infamous title).

Xevross said:
prinz_valium said:

The free bundles have already been proven not to work (Titanfall). The Kinectless bundle has been proven to be completely ineffective also. The only thing that will have changed in the second half is the tier 2 countries, which will add 5k to the XB1 baseline at best. The only hope XB1 has of it not continuing at 3:1 is for the COD, SO and Madden bundles to be effective which, judging by amazon.com bestsellers isn't going to happen. They've dropped much lower than the Destiny PS4 bundle ever has and will combined probably sell less, which means any effect they may have will be cancelled out by Destiny and the ratio will continue to be the same.

so the titanfall bundle sold bad? comeon

and it sill was a 499 dollar bundle

the kinectless sku was about 55% of the june npd xb1 sales (without a free game)

and at the end of august we get this 399 bundle including a free game.

this is better value and more options

true_fan said:

I guess you missed the fact Crytek said the game was in development hell. PS It still sold 1 million on XB1, despite the negative reviews and media killing the game.

Sold is putting it strongly, that's like saying Knack sold tremendously well in Japan.

prinz_valium said:

so the titanfall bundle sold bad? comeon

and it sill was a 499 dollar bundle

Yes, it sold poorly.

the kinectless sku was about 55% of the june npd xb1 sales (without a free game)

And yet it still didn't give a large increase over the April NPD (counting it against May is spin since the announcement led to many people waiting to pick up the XB1 til it was 399 in June).

and at the end of august we get this 399 bundle including a free game.

this is better value and more options

Better value and more options sure, but it isn't winning over enough people.

TheWPCTraveler said:
eva01beserk said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

I expect the hype surrounding PS4 to fade slowly and the casual audiences looking for a media center to start looking at the XBOne, especially if they market it correctly.

But, eh, Japan will most likely guarantee the PS4 outselling the XBOne but at least 1.5:1 next year.

If that were true, then they would probably get a chromecast for $35 that does all those media things. And if they are casuals that dont care much for gaming the will get the $100 amazon fire tv, wich has some games, not as good ovbiusly, and has all the media crap for a much lower price. There is no reason to give $400, $500 for the real experience they offer, for this media crap.

Bolded my point to make this clear. If I'm a parent and I'm going to drop $400 on a console my son/daughter/dog/whatever is going to make me buy anyway, should I go for the system that only plays games or the one that plays games and has media stuff?

Besides, Microsoft's marketing has been, for the lack of a better word, meh lately.

If you are are a parent and are going to drop $400 on a console your son/daughter/dog/whatever is going to make you buy anyways, then your going to buy the console it wants the ps4 most likely, not the one you think is best. Cuz then, it will cry its eyes out for you getting the wrong crappy console and you will just retune it and get the console it wants.

The ps4 has media stuff as well and its getting new ones while MS droped the xbox entretainment studios and is just keeping the halo series cuz it already started.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.