By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do a timed exclusive for Tomb Raider

To avoid Uncharted 4.

Around the Network
theman88 said:

I feel like this is a really bad financial move. Why would you not release this game at the same on the platform that is currently doubling up XBone? Just give the pros and cons... because right now, it looks like they made a bad move.

Knowing that it's timed, I feel that SE might have made a good decision. Let's look at it. Uncharted is probably coming out very close to the same time as tomb raider. Most people aren't willing to buy two games within a few weeks of each other. Most people on ps4 are going to pick UC4 over Tomb raider. That wil cause a large dip in sales. So now instead, they get a nice chunk of change from MS, and they don't have to release directly against a game that's inevitably going to destroy it. 

flagstaad said:
mutantclown said:

Buy it anyway? are you so sure about that? at what price will they buy it though if at all? Read my post above.

They will buy it, even at full price, people is upset because they WANT to buy it, so if they don't want to buy a new console to play it during launch and the game is good they will buy it, SE may include some DLC for free to compensate. Just look at the sales of Mass Effect 2 for PS3, it was released 1 year later, it did not had a following on the console and still it sold 1.35 million units, it will be even better for Tomb Raider as the followers are actually there.

If the game is as good as Mass Effect 2 was, that is. 1.35 million units? lol, that's a laughable figure for PS3.

mutantclown said:

If the game is as good as Mass Effect 2 was, that is. 1.35 million units? lol, that's a laughable figure for PS3.

That is more than 60% the sales of the previous Tomb Raider, without having the first Mass Effect on the console and zero fanbase. The only reason that people will not buy it is because the game is bad and they know it in advance, but that is unlikely based on the developers behind it.

I take that back.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Bags and bags!

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
its sqaure. they are experts at making stupid decisions.

Basically.

It's to counter uncharted 4.

But If they where going to pay for a timed exclusive from Square, I would’ve much preferred they help fund the development of a FF7 REmake/HD compilation.

google - brinks truck.....

it'l release a year later on ps4 and get more sales(and probably extra dlc on disc) at the $60 price range compared to releasing at the same time as uncharted4 and losing out full sales,ppl on ps4 will hold out for uncharted and buy tr 6 months down the line for $30 most likely if they released at the same time... this is probably best for them to get max sales anyways(to go along with the fat greasy timed exclusive check ms game em).

It's not a bad move on Microsofts part. It's smart. The game will only be available console wise on 360/XB1,then other platforms will be PC,since Phil Spencer said their deal with Tomb Raider 2 is the same as their Dead Rising 3 deal(where it was allowed to go to PC).

Maybe stupid on Square-Enix's part,but smart on Microsofts part

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Imaginedvl said:
bananaking21 said:
its sqaure. they are experts at making stupid decisions.

Yah because you know better than SE about this deal (with all the financial details) to call this a better decision, right? :)

do you know better than SE to call this a good decision?

but hey, lets go back and see SE's track record, look at all the stupid shit they did, its not really hard to realize that they will do some again.