By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do a timed exclusive for Tomb Raider

This game will be exclusive to xbox and pc. PS4 won't get the game which is all MS cares about.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Imaginedvl said:
bananaking21 said:
its sqaure. they are experts at making stupid decisions.

Yah because you know better than SE about this deal (with all the financial details) to call this a better decision, right? :)

do you know better than SE to call this a good decision?

but hey, lets go back and see SE's track record, look at all the stupid shit they did, its not really hard to realize that they will do some again. 

I'm guessing MS gave SE enough money to eliminate financial risks. Also, TR will still come to PS4 post Uncharted 4. So how is this a stupid decision?

Great games still do well even if they come to a platform late.

Most video game companies have some bad decisions in their track record. SE is still around so they must have did some things right as well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Allow me to explain the logic of timed exclusives.

When some one buys a new video game for the PS4 or Xbox One at Best Buy or some other retailer. about 20% of the sale price goes to licensing fees for the maker of the console the game is on (PC games are cheaper at launch day because there are not licensing fees on PC, unlike the Xbox ONE, PS4 and Wii U). With that said, it appears consumers prefer the PC and PS4 over the Xbox ONE version of Tomb Raider 2013. This deal is not get people to buy the Xbox ONE, but to get the multi platform owners to buy the next Tomb Raider on the Xbox ONE. This will increase the licensing fees Microsoft gets on Rise of the Tomb Raider, at the expense of Sony's revenue from PS4 Rise of the Tomb Raider licensing fees (when it inevitably comes out).

To state the obvious, this could be a very good financial deal for Microsoft (depending how much much they are paying for it).

Games I have Finished

http://pastebin.com/eMdjSjFc

To encourage fans of the first to buy an Xbone for it.
Plain and simple.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Okay, unless more information has been released about this "Exclusive"....it is not coming to Playtstation full stop...please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, it's only been announced for 360/XOne....Correct?

According to this site, Tomb Raider has sold nearly 5m copies over 5 different systems....2.22 on PS3, 1.71 on 360, 0.46 on PS4, 0.27 on PC and 0.17 on XOne.... It's pretty obvious that TR is more associated with PS as a brand than XBOX....so this seems to be a deal to just piss off Sony full stop.

This is due to be releases in just over a years time...probably November 2015. What will be the HW sales for both 360 and XOne by then? 85m 360's and 10-15m XOnes? Yes exclusivity will guarantee more sales of the game....but will it sell anywhere near 5m what the first game did? No way....its more likely to sell at most half that.

Anyway, it seems in one part a good deal for SE as they will be able to fund the game/marketing with MS money...but will they totally alienate PS owners in doing this? Yes probably. And if they made a decent game, they would have probably gained an additional 2-3m sales in the process.

Personally, this move has killed any comeback for Lara on the console scene.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Imaginedvl said:
bananaking21 said:
its sqaure. they are experts at making stupid decisions.

Yah because you know better than SE about this deal (with all the financial details) to call this a better decision, right? :)

do you know better than SE to call this a good decision?

but hey, lets go back and see SE's track record, look at all the stupid shit they did, its not really hard to realize that they will do some again. 

I definitely have no more insights than you about this deal.
Did I said anything about this deal in any way? Good or bad? Nope, you are the one calling this a stupid decision; I'm not saying it is a good or a bad one.

Now, in any case, between a forum dweller (no offense intended) and 2 big and successfull companies, even wtihout any knowledge of the deal details, I will go ahead and believe that Microsoft/SE know what they are doing and on the opposite, you just have no clue about it :)

But based on your reasoning, Sony should be doing a lot of stupid mistake in the coming month... Because I do not know if you looked at how bad they are on the financial side but this is due to a lot of poor shit they did in the past... Your judgement on SE decisions is a flawed as that...

Imaginedvl said:

Did I said anything about this deal in any way? Good or bad? Nope, you are the one calling this a stupid decision; I'm not saying it is a good or a bad one.

Now, in any case, between a forum dweller (no offense intended) and 2 big and successfull companies, even wtihout any knowledge of the deal details, I will go ahead and believe that Microsoft/SE know what they are doing and on the opposite, you just have no clue about it :)

But based on your reasoning, Sony should be doing a lot of stupid mistake in the coming month... Because I do not know if you looked at how bad they are on the financial side but this is due to a lot of poor shit they did in the past... Your judgement on SE decisions is a flawed as that...

its not really hard to see how this move will hurt the long term of the franchise, specially in europe. if you cant see that, then its really not my problem. 

bananaking21 said:
Imaginedvl said:

its not really hard to see how this move will hurt the long term of the franchise, specially in europe. if you cant see that, then its really not my problem. 

Sure... Strong arguments there :)

Imaginedvl said:
bananaking21 said:

well tell me then, how will being on a console that is being crushed in EU, will go no where in japan, and consantly being outsold by the compition in USA be good for the long term future of the franchise? 

please explain this to me. 

bananaking21 said:
Imaginedvl said:

well tell me then, how will being on a console that is being crushed in EU, will go no where in japan, and consantly being outsold by the compition in USA be good for the long term future of the franchise? 

please explain this to me. 

Nothing to explain to you. You said it was a "stupid" decision without having any real knowledge about the deal and how much money it will bring to SE to actually work on the franchise in the future or to make up for the lost sales on other platforms.

When they will come back on all platform (after the timed period or even with the next version), they will still sale it very well and make money out of it...
Or maybe you are forgetting about this? Or believe that the internet joke is going to "boycott" the game lol

This is just a random call and you have nothing to back your claim that's it.