By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

Euphoria14 said:
Azerth said:
Euphoria14 said:
Azerth said:
There not going to stop selling physical copies justvlike Netflix didn't kill physical DVDs.

No, but unlike movies they can lock content behind the sub. Think of buying an EA sports game and you are only able to get roster updates if you are an EA Access member.

I don't see them putting one full game for one console and half a game on another.  

Plus you are assuming they will do this with no proof

You can sit here all you want and believe they won't stretch this as far as they can.

Placing content behind a sub is a good to sell subs.

Just a week ago people thought early access got you a game 5 days before everyone else.

Just a week ago people thought you wouldn't be seeing Ubi/Acti/SE talking about having their own service until sometime in 2015.

They aren't looking out for you. They are looking into how much $$$ they can pull from you on top of your initial game purchases. It's called business.

Only those who didn't read it thoughtvu got five days with game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do offer dlc to subscribers but with this program being in only one console they can't put half the game away unless you subscriber

I know they only want my money just like every company does.  Which is why I havnt sub to it yet I'm waiting to see if its truly with it

Around the Network

So, let me get this straight: is it Sony that people are angry at for starting the whole subscription based model for games? Why was it ok for Sony and later MS to do it, but not for 3rd parties?

Sterling is a psychic. I think we all saw this coming.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Azerth said:

Only those who didn't read it thoughtvu got five days with game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do offer dlc to subscribers but with this program being in only one console they can't put half the game away unless you subscriber

I know they only want my money just like every company does.  Which is why I havnt sub to it yet I'm waiting to see if its truly with it

If people agree to this practice and it gains serious traction on XB1 you might see those companies begin to pull their free games, deals, etc... from Plus in an attempt to force Sony on board, and if enough publishers have services like this, it won't be hard for them to force Sony's hand.

Once that happens, watch out. Then we get to all sit here and blame those who supported it the whole way, because this will get worse. It always does.

This happens right after MS was finally forced to begin giving free games away for Live members and thus increasing the value of the sub they have been paying for.

Now you are in jeopardy of losing much of that already.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Puppyroach said:
So, let me get this straight: is it Sony that people are angry at for starting the whole subscription based model for games? Why was it ok for Sony and later MS to do it, but not for 3rd parties?

Games for Gold and Plus give you added value on top of the sub you already had to pay (Online). This value was by them giving you free games from just about every publishers under the sun.

With this we will no doubt end up losing that, with us needing to pay additional subs to gain portions of it back, while simultaneously losing value we once had in our Live/Plus subs. You may also end up losing deals too. For example, say Plus/Live has a SE deal going on right now, with many of their titles being 50% off for this week only. Well, maybe they will now take that deal and make it where you can access these large savings on these titles only if you are a SE Access subscriber. That is one way to get people to subscribe, and they WILL do whatever it takes to increase subs.

People are thenfearful of the publishers then trying to hide game features normally found in their games behind their subs in order to increase subscription base. Considering the direction the industry has been heading for the last decade, they are fearful for good reason.

In the end, if something like that happens, nobody here benefits.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network

Awesome, can I pay you 5 bucks a month for it like EA? I'll pay 2K 5 bucks too! And Activision and SE and Capcom and Deep Silver and.......I'll pay you all 5 bucks a month! What a great value......

Simple don't subscribe to their service.

Buy their games used not new, only way they understand is if you hit their wallet.

Gaming is still very hardcore based, we set what's ok and not with our spending.

Smear-Gel said:
I can't help but wonder if we are heading to another video games crash.

Yes. Since 1996. It's coming soon.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

BeElite said:

Buy their games used not new, only way they understand is if you hit their wallet.

Gaming is still very hardcore based, we set what's ok and not with our spending.

Much truth in these words.

I won't pay for these subs to show my stance, but I will buy their games new. Only way that changes is if and when these games begin having features placed behind a sub. Then I leave console gaming and stick to my iPhone, because with my iPhone my games are chopped up into pieces and sold to you based on what you want, but they don't cost me $60 upfront.

I'll survive either way.

Currently playing:

BeElite said:

Bingo, just enjoy their games and don't give them any money.

Be a parasite!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)