By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will Wii U owners be satisfied enough to accept a new console?

I don't think I'll be satisfied for some time. The WiiU is limiting my options with new upcoming games. I bought MK8 back in may and now only interested in Bayo 2 for the remainder of this year, pathetic!!

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:
absolutely not for me. I need 20 "keepers". Games I love so much I would NEVER sell or trade them. right now I own 3. Pikmin, smw3d, and Mario kart. Granted i'll have 2 more by the end of this year. But the 5 year cycle is pretty tried and true. That's 4 stellar titles a year. Year on usually never meets that goal, but makes up for it in the latter years.

New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. U, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 1 + 2, Nintendo Land, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Yoshi's Wooly World, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Zelda U, Mario Maker, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Devil's Third, Fatal Frame V, Xenoblade X, Star Fox U, Splatoon, Rayman Legends, Fire Emblem x SMT ...

I'd say Nintendo should be sitting fairly pretty at 20 reasonably high quality games by the middle of 2016. 

Not even factoring in things like Mario Galaxy 1/2 HD Collection, which I think is going to happen. 

Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:
absolutely not for me. I need 20 "keepers". Games I love so much I would NEVER sell or trade them. right now I own 3. Pikmin, smw3d, and Mario kart. Granted i'll have 2 more by the end of this year. But the 5 year cycle is pretty tried and true. That's 4 stellar titles a year. Year on usually never meets that goal, but makes up for it in the latter years.

New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. U, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 1 + 2, Nintendo Land, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Yoshi's Wooly World, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Zelda U, Mario Maker, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Devil's Third, Fatal Frame V, Xenoblade X, Star Fox U, Splatoon, Rayman Legends, Fire Emblem x SMT ...

I'd say Nintendo should be sitting fairly pretty at 20 reasonably high quality games by the middle of 2016. 

Not even factoring in things like Mario Galaxy 1/2 HD Collection, which I think is going to happen. 

I think Mario Sunshine HD is more likely

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
Vincoletto said:
Nintendo should release a new one in 2,5 years from now, on 2016 Holidays.
It should be on par with PS4/XBONE or even more powerfull as the components that we have on those will be much cheaper in 2 years.
Also it should be backwards compatible with WiiU.
This way you could have third party companies back since the development would be the same for SOny/Microsoft and we still would have amazing first party games from Nintendo.

The problem with this idea is said console will be stuck in the same predicament the Wii U is ... no one wants a Wii U because they already have a PS3/360.

By fall 2016 most people will own a PS4 or XBox One, and not only that but both systems will have hundreds of games available for them whereas the hypothetical Nintendo console will be starting with like 12-16 games at best. 

In other words, it won't be any different from whats happening with the Wii U, only the most die-hard Nintendo fans will buy it. 

No one will care about Wii U backwards compatibility either, lol. 

Not same, Wii U came out at end of PS3/Xbox360 era and just one year before XboxOne/PS4, next Nintendo home console will probably come at middle of XboxOne/PS4 life span and few years before next cycle of consoles.

It will be very different from what's happening to Wii U, Wii U had many problems, starting with bad console name and bad marketing, games drought, not good hardware for 3rd party developers...and so on, next Nintendo console probably will not have that problems and will have fixed Wii U problem from start, like a unified account.

But for all that I would say that 2017 is more realistic for Nintendo home console than 2016, new handheld and home console will have havy integration, and next handheld will probably come out in 2016.

Yep, thats exactly why I said 2016 holidays. It will be the middle of this generatin, and also the console could be released at a good price because components will be cheaper. So it could be a 299 product. 

The first problem with third parties will be solved, which is having a console that is one generation behind the rest, making it harder and more expensive to develop, lets say, GTA 6 (you know there will be one).

The second problem with third parties is harder to solve, which is trust. Nintendo screwed up so many times with third parties that is hard to imagine them caring for nintendo again. But everybody likes money, so maybe nintendo could give them a special treatment, with higher shares of the games ssales for example.

Then, after that, nintendo should start AGAIN working on a new console to make sure it will be released at the same time and power of the next generation, probably around 2020-2021.

Or just wait 6-7 years more with WiiU until 2020-2021, which is unlikely

zorg1000 said:
Fusioncode said:
I doubt anything else is coming after Zelda next year.

That might be taking it a little too far, we will probably get a few small-mid size titles. Perhaps Paper Mario, Diddy Kong Racing or something along those lines.

We might even get a new Metroid! You never know..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

The way I see it there are 3 options for Nintendo

1. Make an uber powerful machine to compete with PS5/Xbox4, 2 years before the competition. The next PS/Xbox will likely come in 2019/2020 so Nintendo will need to release in 2017/2018. At that point PS4/X1 will be $250 or less while Nintendo's new console will be $400 or more. Also 3rd parties wont all jump ship and start making exclusives for it so what were looking at is better versions of PS4 games. Will the millions upon millions of PS4/X1 owners buy a $400 Nintendo console to play games they already have access to? Probably not. Will people who dont have a PS4/X1 yet choose a $400 console over the $250 one? Probably not. So by the time PS5/Xbox4 release, 3rd parties will likely already have stopped giving this new console support which will just make it an expensive console to play Nintendo games just like Wii U.

2. Nintendo releases a console comparable to PS4 middway thru the generation. Nintendo releases this console in 2016/2017 with specs and price to match PS4 so probably around $250-300. Once again this Nintendo device will be an attempt to lure in 3rd parties so once again we will just be looking at PS4/X1 multiplats which will have large install bases and hundreds of games to choose already. People who just bought PS4/X1 recently wont move over to Nintendo and new console owners will the choose the ones with a ton of games and people to play online with. Even if these multiplats do sell decently they will probably lose 3rd party support 1-2 years after PS5/X1 release since it will be so underpowered compared to them just like Wii U.

3. Go With a strategy that is best for themselves and there loyal fanbase. Without a gimmick to lure in casuals or a near monopoly on 3rd parties, Nintendo consoles sell between 15-30 as seen by N64, GC and now Wii. So what they need to do is find a way to make a profit even if the console does sell in that range. The best way to do this is by unifying the handheld and console. 2 devices with same architecture/OS/specs/games with the console version being more powerful to play the games at a higher resolution. Handheld slightly more powerful than Vita, console slightly more powerful than Wii U which can both be sold for $199 by 2016. This will allow Nintendo to essentaily focus all developement on one platform resulting in a greater release schedule and since Nintendo handhelds always have strong Japanese 3rd party support this means the new console will as well, add to that family friendly western 3rd party games Nintendo gets plus an improved Virtual Console and strong indie support. Lets say the handheld sells 55-70 million and the console 15-30 million so in total 70-100 million which if done right will provide a strong profit.

Agree. Although I still think option 2 is suitable, because people just like nintendo and it's games. ALong with a good strategy for bringing third partires, it could be a step in right direction so in the 2020 generation Nintendo could come back full power.

But your third option is really good. I agree with you, although I think the handheld market will shirnk a lok in the future. Nintendo can't ignore the smartphone market and the fact that the emulators quality on smartphones is getting really impresive, probably stealing public from handhelds.

After new Zelda, I dont think we'll see any new high profile Wii U games, Zelda if it comes holiday 2015, Nintendo would've released a game in every major franchise. I expect them to ride it out another 2 years before the next console is released in holiday 2017. They'll probably have smaller profile games for 2016, like Starfox to bridge over to a new gen. I dont expect any Wii U games in 2017 and onwards.

Turkish said:
After new Zelda, I dont think we'll see any new high profile Wii U games, Zelda if it comes holiday 2015, Nintendo would've released a game in every major franchise. I expect them to ride it out another 2 years before the next console is released in holiday 2017. They'll probably have smaller profile games for 2016, like Starfox to bridge over to a new gen. I dont expect any Wii U games in 2017 and onwards.

I would expect a 3D Mario title in 2016/2017, and that will be the Wii U's swan song.

AZWification said:
zorg1000 said:
Fusioncode said:
I doubt anything else is coming after Zelda next year.

That might be taking it a little too far, we will probably get a few small-mid size titles. Perhaps Paper Mario, Diddy Kong Racing or something along those lines.

Last edited by Vincoletto - on 21 February 2018

Vincoletto said:
AZWification said:

And Starfox

True! I don't know how I could forget about Star Fox!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---