By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Plus refund?

Hey guys/girls,

I'm selling my PS3 (ebay auction expires today) and my PS+ sub automatically renewed a few weeks back. I wasn't aware that this was the case until I saw my credit card statement and figured 'ah well I'm selling it anyway I'll just cancel my sub and get a refund for the remainder when I sell it'. I assumed that this would be fine as I'd done the same with Xbox Live when selling my 360 without any hassles.

So I called Playstation Australia this morning and they were very uncooperative. They told me that I was notified of the auto renewal system when I first signed up and that there is no way to close my PS+ accound and issue me a refund. This is despite the fact that I soon won't even have a device to use it on. 

I'm hoping I was just dealing with one bad employee and that there is a way around this.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Around the Network

I think you are out of luck buddy. No refunds has been their policy from day 1...

gergroy said:
I think you are out of luck buddy. No refunds has been their policy from day 1...

Doesn't seem right....Apparently even if I insist that Sony close my account so that there is no way for me to access it ever again they still just keep the money. Microsoft refunded me. What's Sony's deal?

You must have been notified. I've just recently received an email warning me that my account is set on auto renewal, and that they will take money from my card next month.
The mail also had detailed instructions on how to cancel the auto renewal.

So, I think you're out of luck, as you have been warned about the situation. And I believe it also says no refunds on any store purchases.

Maybe you can sell your account if you have no use for it, with all the PS+ games you might even turn a profit...

I think that the way Sony does it is pretty standard, I'm more surprised by how generous MS was.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
Locknuts said:
gergroy said:

Doesn't seem right....Apparently even if I insist that Sony close my account so that there is no way for me to access it ever again they still just keep the money. Microsoft refunded me. What's Sony's deal?

Why wouldnt you close your account before selling your console?

some of this fault is on you too...

overman1 said:
Locknuts said:
gergroy said:

A lot of people don't know about auto renew. It on by default for Sony, not consumers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Burek said:
You must have been notified. I've just recently received an email warning me that my account is set on auto renewal, and that they will take money from my card next month.
The mail also had detailed instructions on how to cancel the auto renewal.

So, I think you're out of luck, as you have been warned about the situation. And I believe it also says no refunds on any store purchases.

Maybe you can sell your account if you have no use for it, with all the PS+ games you might even turn a profit...

Hey I never thought of selling it.....Good idea.

Also, I don't recall getting an email. It may have ended up in the junk folder. Something Sony should sympathise with.

overman1 said:
Locknuts said:
gergroy said:

It hasn't sold yet.

Mr Puggsly said:
overman1 said:
Locknuts said:
gergroy said:

A lot of people don't know about auto renew. It on by default for Sony, not consumers.

actually no...my account is on auto renew but i made the settings that way. they ask for at least 2 notifications before you can confirm for auto renew. I guess he forgot he had it on auto renew. happens sometimes escpecially when a service is a year long.