By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Plus refund?

starcraft said:
Locknuts said:

Hey guys/girls,

I'm selling my PS3 (ebay auction expires today) and my PS+ sub automatically renewed a few weeks back. I wasn't aware that this was the case until I saw my credit card statement and figured 'ah well I'm selling it anyway I'll just cancel my sub and get a refund for the remainder when I sell it'. I assumed that this would be fine as I'd done the same with Xbox Live when selling my 360 without any hassles.

So I called Playstation Australia this morning and they were very uncooperative. They told me that I was notified of the auto renewal system when I first signed up and that there is no way to close my PS+ accound and issue me a refund. This is despite the fact that I soon won't even have a device to use it on. 

I'm hoping I was just dealing with one bad employee and that there is a way around this.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Before you piss off your credit card company, I'd call Sony back and threaten to speak to your relevant consumer rights office (Office of Fair Trading in NSW: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/Contact_us.html ).

Tell them you'll make a formal complaint. It is ridiculous to automatically charge you and not simply refund the difference when you ask them too.

I'm checking the Qld site now, thanks.

Around the Network

PS support UK has refunded me for stuff before. It does clearly state that auto renew is set on, and you should expect this by default since every subscription service in the world pretty much does this such as netflix or sun+.
Try calling again and speak to a different guy, otherwise chalk it up to experience that every..EVERY subscription service is set on auto renewal and you should find how to cancel it immediately after subscribing.

Locknuts said:
starcraft said:
Locknuts said:

Hey guys/girls,

I'm selling my PS3 (ebay auction expires today) and my PS+ sub automatically renewed a few weeks back. I wasn't aware that this was the case until I saw my credit card statement and figured 'ah well I'm selling it anyway I'll just cancel my sub and get a refund for the remainder when I sell it'. I assumed that this would be fine as I'd done the same with Xbox Live when selling my 360 without any hassles.

So I called Playstation Australia this morning and they were very uncooperative. They told me that I was notified of the auto renewal system when I first signed up and that there is no way to close my PS+ accound and issue me a refund. This is despite the fact that I soon won't even have a device to use it on. 

I'm hoping I was just dealing with one bad employee and that there is a way around this.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Before you piss off your credit card company, I'd call Sony back and threaten to speak to your relevant consumer rights office (Office of Fair Trading in NSW: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/Contact_us.html ).

Tell them you'll make a formal complaint. It is ridiculous to automatically charge you and not simply refund the difference when you ask them too.

I'm checking the Qld site now, thanks.

All good, let us know how it goes. I will no doubt forget when Sony goes to autobill my PS+ again. Be good to know what my options are.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Try their email sale service rather than phone, explain the situation: don't say you are going to sell you PS3 but rather you are giving it away, and want to suspend your automatically renewed subscription and be reimbursed.

If they don't, they're not doing their job and are really crappy support service.

Welcome to the digital age. No refunds

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

i ever email them to close an error ID spelling account for me before and get reply that they don't close PSN account, just sell it to someone if you really not using it anymore, but make sure to delete your credit card info first ok... 

HokageTenshi said:

i ever email them to close an error ID spelling account for me before and get reply that they don't close PSN account, just sell it to someone if you really not using it anymore, but make sure to delete your credit card info first ok... y

Yeah that's looking like my best option right now. According to Fair Trading they've done nothing really wrong. Unethical IMO, but perfectly legal. I'll see if my mates want the account first.