By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

Maybe but I doubt all those indie developers will become big. In fact most of their games will flop.
Sony is focusing on them to try and cover up the fact that there are fewer AAA games right now and perhaps for the rest of the generation.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

The reason Sony focuses on indies so much is because Vita needs some love, and Sony sure ain't going to give it.

VanceIX said:
Hynad said:

Of course they cherry pick. It's not like they'll finance the entire indie industry. -__-

Give credit where credit is due... Can you do that?

Wait a minute, you're getting annoyed at me just because I pointed out a misconception that some people have? I know they won't that's why I pointed it out -_-

I'm not saying Sony's in the wrong or anything. It's just that people seem to think that Sony is the all powerful patron of indies, when it's not. If anything, Steam is the reason the indie market is as powerful as it is today, they were even more inclusive than Sony was. I give Sony credit for helping a few indies take off, and for expanding the console market of indies. Better?

Yeah but that's not really what the thread is about, is it? It doesn't matter if Steam helped more overall, really. OP is just saying that Sony helping so many indie studios can turn out well for them in the future.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Gnac said:
HEMSTAR said:
Slade6alpha said:

This is something I can definitely agree with. Nintendo does just as well with Indies, but they barely get the recognition as Sony. 

No they don't, i don't see Nintendo promoting indies from the rooftops like Sony does nor do i see as many indie games on their systems compared to Sony's.

Tell me about this rooftop promotion thing

The rooftops of E3, Gamescom, TGS etc.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

kupomogli said:

Not true. Look at thatgamecompany. They're now making a game exclusively for the Xbox One despite Sony funding three of their games. Or what about Insomniac Games? Sony has funded all of their games starting with what was released on the PS2. They broke off from Sony to try and create a game all on their own. It bombed, and instead of going back to Sony, they're now developing Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One.

Just because Sony is doing this for all these indie devs, it doesn't mean that they're required to have any future loyalty. All Microsoft has to do is drop a bag of cash on their front door step and that dev is making a game for them. Look at Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and many timed exclusives on the 360.

Wow, I didn't hear that. Link?

It would be funny because it would go against their entire reason for going multiplatform. To reach the largest possible audience.

Around the Network

I thought the reasons were obvious. In the short-term, supporting Indies brings a lot of titles to your platform. Just look how successful Steam was in this respect.

In the long-term, you build healthy relationships with the AAA devs of the future, and if you see something you think is the next big thing, you can offer to invest in them directly.

Mystro-Sama said:

I mean am I the only one to notice? They help all these little indie studios because sooner or later they will be big AAA studios and will always remember that Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive. I even heard Sony acquired ND when it was still indie and now they make some of the best games ina gaming.

I think that is a pretty good hypotheses.  I would just add that Sony got crucified last gen for not showing indie support early on, so that probably part of it as well.

AgentZorn said:
ryuendo89 said:
Actually it was Nintendo that have bring the free publishing/tools for indies on Consoles, again sony just took an ideia from others

Not really. The press simply focused more on Sonys indie relationship more than Nintendos. I remember there were some articles about Nintendo making it easier for indie devs to develope for the Wii U and that they were building healthy relationships with indies. There wer also some indies stating how great it was working with Nintendo. The gamming media hardly gave a damn about it and so did a good portion of the gamming community. Then, Sony came along and said how they were helping indies and all of a suddden there is massive praise for Sonys indie focus. 

Sony is a bit more hands on than Nintendo, but both of their objectives are the same. Make it easy for indies to make games for our platform.

I think that's the big differentiator though. Nintendo make things a bit cheaper, but at the end of the day, they let the Indie devs do their thing seperate from Nintendo.

Sony has been actively pursuing devs and giving some of them the same sort of coverage that would normally be given to AAA devs. That little bit of extra activity goes a long way for both the dev and Sony's image.

kupomogli said:

Not true. Look at thatgamecompany. They're now making a game exclusively for the Xbox One despite Sony funding three of their games. Or what about Insomniac Games? Sony has funded all of their games starting with what was released on the PS2. They broke off from Sony to try and create a game all on their own. It bombed, and instead of going back to Sony, they're now developing Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One.

Just because Sony is doing this for all these indie devs, it doesn't mean that they're required to have any future loyalty. All Microsoft has to do is drop a bag of cash on their front door step and that dev is making a game for them. Look at Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and many timed exclusives on the 360.

Last I heard it was a multiplatform title.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I can't think of one Indie developer that went on to be a AAA developer.  Which ones are they?

Activision, valve (you know, the guys that eventually made steam), Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Bungie, Retro Studios, etc.