By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

VanceIX said:
Many of those studios will never pan out. Maybe a couple studios with big hits, but not all of them.

And it's not like Sony is giving financial support to all the indie devs. They cherry-pick a few promising ones and go from there. Sony's sponsorship of indies is pretty overblown.

http://gamingtrend.com/2014/05/28/sony-cover-indie-developer-costs-tgs-year/

Really overblown, look at the past 7 years at indiecade sponsorship, than look at indie stage time for big game conventions!

You think the support of indies is over blown?

In very blunt terms Sony is Quite well invested into indies more so than Nintendo an Microsoft combined. 

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

Most companies want ownership over their own IPs, they don't want to be tied down to one console. Going multiplatform = more possible sales for their games.

curl-6 said:
Seems to me more like a stopgap attempt to counter the lack of big games now that just about everything's been pushed back to 2015.

There weren't "big games" at the beginning of the PS3 era either. But they didn't support indie studios like this. So yeah, but not really. OP is right I think.

I mean, just look at what Ready At Dawn has become.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

ryuendo89 said:
Actually it was Nintendo that have bring the free publishing/tools for indies on Consoles, again sony just took an ideia from others

Oh' Gawd, lmao, keep thinking that..its your opinion but its far from being a fact.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I think that saying "Sony focuses" is incorrect
Sony's strategy was to have a platform almost as open as PC (obviously could never be quite as open) to attract as many developers and games as possible. As a result, indie developers turned to Sony. So it's the indies that focused on Sony/PS4, not the other way around.
Back when stuff like Rime and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was announced as PS4 exclusives the developers talked about THEIR decision to partner with Sony and why they thought it was a good idea. They went to Sony, Sony didn't go to them.

Around the Network
Dadrik said:
curl-6 said:
Seems to me more like a stopgap attempt to counter the lack of big games now that just about everything's been pushed back to 2015.

There weren't "big games" at the beginning of the PS3 era either. But they didn't support indie studios like this. So yeah, but not really. OP is right I think.

I mean, just look at what Ready At Dawn has become.

Did'nt support indies in the start? Is people really just ignoring playstation home platform for indie developers? 

There is more ways to support indies than just releasing games on consoles for indie developers than just one way.look at loot, or lockwood etc.

I AM BOLO

ps:

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I can't think of one Indie developer that went on to be a AAA developer.  Which ones are they?

Just look up the history of nealy every AAA developer. The vast majority started off as Indie.

The difference is today, they have alternative means of getting funding then relying on the goodwill of publishers.

Sony has been collaborating with indie studios pretty much since PS1 era, offering them inexpensive tools to work with (PS1 was very easy/cheap to work with btw), and because of that many have evolved and made PS what it is today, home for every genre and for every type of game.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I can't think of one Indie developer that went on to be a AAA developer.  Which ones are they?

naughty dog, sucker punch, media molecule, ninja theory, thatgamescompany, nintendo,..

I'd say Ready at Dawn started indie too. It was formed the way that so many studios are being formed nowadays, veterans of different big companies (in this case Naughty Dog and Blizzard) coming together to found a smaller independent studio that started with handheld games and is now doing The Order 1886