By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

What the OP says has some truth to it, but I still believe Sony supports indies because;

1- Its a hell of a lot cheaper (since they are still strapped for cash)
2- It fills the gaps between SONY games.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Seems to me more like a stopgap attempt to counter the lack of big games now that just about everything's been pushed back to 2015.

I'd rather have indie games filling the first year void than no games at all.

Maraccuda said:
What the OP says has some truth to it, but I still believe Sony supports indies because;

Short term benefits and long term benefits.

Many strategies would actually have both. Stopgap/cost could be short term, building relationships with up and comings would be long term.

they are way cheaper to moneyhat

I can't think of one Indie developer that went on to be a AAA developer.  Which ones are they?

Around the Network

As far as I'm aware, Sony aren't actually doing the indie push as big as Nintendo; I'd have to check my sources on this, but last I remember was reading that Nintendo have more indie games in development than Sony and MS combined.

I've read that Nintendo were more forthcoming with distribution of the Unity engine, too, though I think Sony and MS are catching up on that. I'm sure there were a couple of other engines that Nintendo distribute for free, too.

DrDoomz said:
Maraccuda said:

Many strategies would actually have both. Stopgap/cost could be short term, building relationships with up and comings would be long term.

True, could be a 'kill to birds with one stone' kind of thing, but I feel as though Sony was only looking at the short term initially.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Maraccuda said:
DrDoomz said:
Maraccuda said:

True, could be a 'kill to birds with one stone' kind of thing, but I feel as though Sony was only looking at the short term initially.

Doubtful. That would assume that none of them went to business school and took strategic management/strategic planning courses. I mean let's give them a LITTLE credit here.

Mystro-Sama said:

There is no way companies this huge don't have a long term in mind. That would incredibly naive of them.

Not all decisions companies make are long term though. This is long term in the sense that they wanted as many games as possible. Not because that way they will remember and give Sony more games in the future.That's just not gonna happen like that.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Ppl should really stop looking at Sony only having one reason or the other for supporting indies here.

Instead, they should look at the possibility of "all of the above".

Or do people think that we forum dwellers somehow know strategic planning better than the people that a large multinational is actually paying to do strategic planning?