By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

Could pointing out passive-aggressiveness be considered passive-aggressiveness?

[do not] discuss.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
HEMSTAR said:
curl-6 said:
Seems to me more like a stopgap attempt to counter the lack of big games now that just about everything's been pushed back to 2015.

But they've been working close with indies along time now, before they knew things would have to be delayed.

They would have foreseen the shortage of big games as AAA budgets ballooned. Their intensified focus over the last year is likely because of a barren schedule.

curl-6 said:
HEMSTAR said:
curl-6 said:
Seems to me more like a stopgap attempt to counter the lack of big games now that just about everything's been pushed back to 2015.

But they've been working close with indies along time now, before they knew things would have to be delayed.

They would have foreseen the shortage of big games as AAA budgets ballooned. 

Yep Interesting Enough Square Enix had to sell 5 million units of Tomb Raider to break even quite the absurd amount considering the series selling performance but the Definitive Editons helped TR get profitability. 

ND was not an indie, they worked for Universal.

I don't think Sony has any long term strategy in mind here, other focusing on gamers and developers, at least for the first few years of the console.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:
ND was not an indie, they worked for Universal.

I don't think Sony has any long term strategy in mind here, other focusing on gamers and developers, at least for the first few years of the console.

There is no way companies this huge don't have a long term in mind. That would incredibly naive of them.

Around the Network

Actually it was Nintendo that have bring the free publishing/tools for indies on Consoles, again sony just took an ideia from others

Not true. Look at thatgamecompany. They're now making a game exclusively for the Xbox One despite Sony funding three of their games. Or what about Insomniac Games? Sony has funded all of their games starting with what was released on the PS2. They broke off from Sony to try and create a game all on their own. It bombed, and instead of going back to Sony, they're now developing Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One.

Just because Sony is doing this for all these indie devs, it doesn't mean that they're required to have any future loyalty. All Microsoft has to do is drop a bag of cash on their front door step and that dev is making a game for them. Look at Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and many timed exclusives on the 360.

kupomogli said:

Not true. Look at thatgamecompany. They're now making a game exclusively for the Xbox One despite Sony funding three of their games. Or what about Insomniac Games? Sony has funded all of their games starting with what was released on the PS2. They broke off from Sony to try and create a game all on their own. It bombed, and instead of going back to Sony, they're now developing Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One.

Just because Sony is doing this for all these indie devs, it doesn't mean that they're required to have any future loyalty. All Microsoft has to do is drop a bag of cash on their front door step and that dev is making a game for them. Look at Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and many timed exclusives on the 360.

Insominac was actually planning to make SO for the PS4, but Sony wanted to own the IP which they didn't want to let happen but MS didn't mind so they just went with them. Though I don't the history with thatgamecompany so I can't speak to that but I expect that there was a reaon.

ryuendo89 said:
Actually it was Nintendo that have bring the free publishing/tools for indies on Consoles, again sony just took an ideia from others

Not really. The press simply focused more on Sonys indie relationship more than Nintendos. I remember there were some articles about Nintendo making it easier for indie devs to develope for the Wii U and that they were building healthy relationships with indies. There wer also some indies stating how great it was working with Nintendo. The gamming media hardly gave a damn about it and so did a good portion of the gamming community. Then, Sony came along and said how they were helping indies and all of a suddden there is massive praise for Sonys indie focus. 

Sony is a bit more hands on than Nintendo, but both of their objectives are the same. Make it easy for indies to make games for our platform.

Slade6alpha said:
VanceIX said:
Many of those studios will never pan out. Maybe a couple studios with big hits, but not all of them.

And it's not like Sony is giving financial support to all the indie devs. They cherry-pick a few promising ones and go from there. Sony's sponsorship of indies is pretty overblown.

This is something I can definitely agree with. Nintendo does just as well with Indies, but they barely get the recognition as Sony. 

Sony gives more attention and recognization to Indies than Nintendo at big stages and other channels to market their game.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.