By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

VanceIX said:
Many of those studios will never pan out. Maybe a couple studios with big hits, but not all of them.

And it's not like Sony is giving financial support to all the indie devs. They cherry-pick a few promising ones and go from there. Sony's sponsorship of indies is pretty overblown.

You should not talk about things you dont know, Sony has sponsorships programs all over the world even in my little country Ecuador (you probably don't even know in where continent it is) they are helping a dev team with a PS3/Vita game.

Around the Network
Rafux said:
VanceIX said:
Many of those studios will never pan out. Maybe a couple studios with big hits, but not all of them.

And it's not like Sony is giving financial support to all the indie devs. They cherry-pick a few promising ones and go from there. Sony's sponsorship of indies is pretty overblown.

You should not talk about things you dont know, Sony has sponsorships programs all over the world even in my little country Ecuador (you probably don't even know in where continent it is) they are helping a dev team with a PS3/Vita game.

Wow, way to take a dig at my intelligence. Sony supporting Indies =/= grooming them into AAA studios.

And btw, I very much do know where Ecuador is.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

NightDragon83 said:

The whole "indie" thing is just another bullet point for the Sony camp to add to their talking points. They conveniently forget all the "indie" titles that populated the 360 and XBLA over the past generation such as Castle Crashers, Braid, and the biggest indie title of them all, Minecraft, just to name a few.

But for some reason M$ is "bad" for indie games and Sony is good, as they are good for developer relations in general. Right... just ask developers like Free Radical and Factor 5 how they're doing these days after their exclusive partnerships with Sony over the past gen.

the best thing MS did for indies was to have a console that was similar enought to PC that smaller developers could create a console port without re-writting their game from the ground up. no doubt ms contributed to opening the door for indies on console with the 360.  yet, many of the biggest indie developers on the 360 were also the most vocal haters of ms.  they hated ms for not allowing self publishing.  they hated ms for downgrading their position on the xbox marketplace.  they hated ms for not following through on promotion contracts.  they hated ms for acting like arrogant pricks and treating indies as a second class citizen in the games industry. 

with the ps4 the ease of development advantage was wiped out, ps4 is even easy to work with then xbox now. and on top of that sony treated indies with respect and opened up new indie specific policies that make working with sony a whole lot easier than with ms while ms tried to keep bullying indies with their shitty policies.  

tl;dr version...   sony didn't forget all the indies that populated 360,..  ms did. ms took them for granted. 

Mystro-Sama said:

I mean am I the only one to notice? They help all these little indie studios because sooner or later they will be big AAA studios and will always remember that Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive. I even heard Sony acquired ND when it was still indie and now they make some of the best games in gaming.

I just saw games myself.

The PS5 Exists. 

DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:

1.) Yeah, no. I'm optomistic on pletnty of threads, I just don't heap compliments when none are due. It's also really weird that you claim to know about my posts, since that would imply you read the majority of them, which I really doubt you do. 

2.) Based on the fact that most indies die very fast in today's crowded industry. Some make it after their first game or two, but a lot of other simply crash. And most of which that do make it are NEVER going to be AAA studios. AA, maybe, but AAA? Doubtful. This isn't the '90s, where indie studios had little competition and could grow. And the support Sony gives them won't magically make them bigger studios.

3.) Few, as in a very small fraction of indie games released on PSN. The indie games on PSN are also just a fraction oif the indie games on PC.

4.) And that's the exact mentality I'm talking about. There is very little chance any of those developers will ever become AAA. Once again, maybe the smallest fraction of indie devs go anywhere near AAA, and Sony would need some great luck to single out any noticeable amount. The pressure on indie devs is crazy, prety much none have any sort of cash needed to jumpstart a legitimate AAA studio, and won't even after Sony helps publish or develop the game. The amount of money, manpower, and skill needed for a AAA studio is a huge barrier to entry. Most indies are made by just one person or a small team, none of them experienced in the type of game design needed for AAA blockbusters.

1) Your "passive aggressiveness" has nothing to do with your behavior or optimism on other threads. Might wanna read what I was saying as I think you're not comprehending what I said very well.  

It has to do with you being feigning supportiveness (hey! i think they're doing great things for the indiezzz!) while subtly trying to insert negativity (but it's pretty overblownz!!!) in an attempt to downplay what they're trying to do. Basically, the I-think-they're-doing-good-but-not-really approach. 

Also, never said I've read many of your posts. That would be silly. Insert words in people's mouths much? I'm speaking only from the posts of yours that I've read. And from our last debate, passive-aggressiveness with a hint of persecution complex seems to be your standard M.O.

2) No one made the claim that the majority of indies that Sony is nurturing will succeed, no one said that. At all. 

What I was asking was where exactly you are finding this whole "overstated" perception you seem to be arguing against? That's what I meant when I asked "where are you basing this?"Who's been (over) stating that the indies that Sony is nurturing will all become big AAA devs someday? Especially in this thread. This, to me, just sounds like another one of your loosely-supported generalizations about common perceptions.

3) And, like I've already said (repeatedly at that) this is what makes your comment 'completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and your logic kinda crappy. What is basing it on the overall number of indies on PC or PSN have to do with anything? 

Indies fail more than they succeed. We all know that. What Sony has done is offer support to more indies than their console competitor has. Thus, relative to their direct competitor and relative to how this would benefit Sony's strategic planning on the PS4, it is not "few". 

4) You understand that what I said (and been trying to say all night) is that people are NOT thinking that all or even most or even a decent number of the indies Sony is supporting will become AAA's someday? That people understand that indies tend to fail and only a select few of them make it? Fact is, people know it's a freakin long shot. But indies are cheap (relative to what Sony can afford) and if you bet on enough long shots, you're bound to find a winner eventually (especially with a little help from Sony). That is the same principle behind Venture Capitalism.

And (for the purposes of this thread) just one potential strategic advantage Sony could be taking advantage of with their current approach to indies.

You know what, you're the one who is claiming Sony is grooming indie devs in hopes of them becoming AAAs, I'm just pointing out that that is illogical.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you. If I'm not blindly praising Sony, you criticize my posts. If I am praising Sony but not to the extent everyone else is, you criticize my posts. Either way I'm passively aggressive towards Sony in your mind.

Whatever. Think what you want. Goodbye and Godspeed.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:

I mean am I the only one to notice? They help all these little indie studios because sooner or later they will be big AAA studios and will always remember that Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive. I even heard Sony acquired ND when it was still indie and now they make some of the best games in gaming.

lol

"Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive"

what happened to all the studios and games that sony gave a chance with on the PS1? theres not one game that stayed on PS FF, GTA, RE, sielent hill, tomb raider even MGS

this indie focus is just that right now were having a indie boom these games are also available on PC and more and more are also coming on XB1

Play Me

Mystro-Sama said:

Indie devs are the future period. You pretty much have to be dumb not to invest in the future. Nintendo started as an indie company and look at them now. Also Nintendo hasn't exactly changed that much, you can literally still consider Nintendo an indie developer, they are large yes but they are very much on their own and their entire catalog of games is pretty much the same quality as the best indie games out there. Indie title has nothing to do with finances. So sony is literally investing in the next Nintendo. So I don't know what's wrong with that.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

VanceIX said:

Areym said:
VanceIX said:

Well, You done goof'd. You have unleashed the holy wrath of the PS fans. Godspeed.

I've unleashed their wrath a long time ago. Apparently people see me as "passive-agressive" to Sony now, even though I have gamed more on my PS4 than any of my other current-gen consoles.

Why would anyone care which console you play the most? It's what you say on here that makes people form an opinion of you. Not saying I agree with that opinion.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

NightDragon83 said:

The whole "indie" thing is just another bullet point for the Sony camp to add to their talking points. They conveniently forget all the "indie" titles that populated the 360 and XBLA over the past generation such as Castle Crashers, Braid, and the biggest indie title of them all, Minecraft, just to name a few.

But for some reason M$ is "bad" for indie games and Sony is good, as they are good for developer relations in general. Right... just ask developers like Free Radical and Factor 5 how they're doing these days after their exclusive partnerships with Sony over the past gen.

How did they forget? All of those are available on Playstation too you know. This is a new generation, and you're using last generation for your argument here.

You might as well ask Jonathan Blow (Braid creator) how he's doing after his partnership with MS. Went straight to Sony, didn't he? 

Why Free Radical? Didn't they make Ryse (Crytek UK)? How did that turn out?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

BHR-3 said:
Mystro-Sama said:

lol

"Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive"

what happened to all the studios and games that sony gave a chance with on the PS1? theres not one game that stayed on PS FF, GTA, RE, sielent hill, tomb raider even MGS

this indie focus is just that right now were having a indie boom these games are also available on PC and more and more are also coming on XB1

Yet those managaed to stay exclusives for 2 generations. That by a business standpoint is a win.

And Sony sold their shares in SE which is probably why their games went multiplat.