By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

VanceIX said:
Ninsect said:

Console preference is only evident in how and what you write in your posts. I could say "I prefer playing on Xbox" but as long as I talk mostly in favor of Playstation nobody will care because I don't show it with words.

If you say so. I've made tons of posts in the past praising Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. If anything, those should be held in account as well, but no one has the time to go back and read all 3000+ posts again, which is why I emphasize it. I also have a PSN that I can link that has much more use than my XBL or NNID, if my word isn't good enough.

Like I said, I'm not saying I agree with the other guy's opinion of you...Just saying that saying "I prefer gaming on XX" means little in the grand scheme of things

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Ninsect said:
VanceIX said:
Ninsect said:

Console preference is only evident in how and what you write in your posts. I could say "I prefer playing on Xbox" but as long as I talk mostly in favor of Playstation nobody will care because I don't show it with words.

If you say so. I've made tons of posts in the past praising Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. If anything, those should be held in account as well, but no one has the time to go back and read all 3000+ posts again, which is why I emphasize it. I also have a PSN that I can link that has much more use than my XBL or NNID, if my word isn't good enough.

Like I said, I'm not saying I agree with the other guy's opinion of you...Just saying that saying "I prefer gaming on XX" means little in the grand scheme of things

That's true, in that most people don't take things at face value. Ah well, if people want more proof they can just look at my PSN profile:

Compared to my XBL profile:

Don't even have XBL Gold or an avatar right now

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

How do we know it's your profile? You could be lying--maybe borrowing someone else's, or just linking to someone else's without permission even.

Just kidding, I don't actually think that. On another random note, I think it's interesting that you seem to have 48 games in your profile and 18 but I have more trophies, lol. I guess it just comes down to that completion % (I don't go trophy hunting/I don't put in extra effort to collect trophies but I do try to see games through to completion and am careful not to buy bad games so I'm not stuck returning it without finishing it or anything haha).

Uh, I'll throw something on topic here:

I think Sony's support of indies is pretty solid but this sort of seems to be their specialty. They don't really do a lot of great work themselves nowadays IMO, what they do is just throw all their support towards 3rd-parties, both big companies and indies alike, and make it suitable for people to make games. I mean most of their great titles are 3rd-parties and you constantly see them trying to get the edge in beta, DLC, etc., and then with indies it DOES feel like they use them to fill in the gap between big titles, even if they're not directly funding them they're still drawing them in (and it's kinda upsetting almost how indies are flocking to them, lol--I just don't like any one company dominating, and while Wii U indie support is solid, the quality level is a bit under PS indies IMO).

fireblazerx17 said:
How do we know it's your profile? You could be lying--maybe borrowing someone else's, or just linking to someone else's without permission even.

Just kidding, I don't actually think that. On another random note, I think it's interesting that you seem to have 48 games in your profile and 18 but I have more trophies, lol. I guess it just comes down to that completion % (I don't go trophy hunting/I don't put in extra effort to collect trophies but I do try to see games through to completion and am careful not to buy bad games so I'm not stuck returning it without finishing it or anything haha).

Uh, I'll throw something on topic here:

I think Sony's support of indies is pretty solid but this sort of seems to be their specialty. They don't really do a lot of great work themselves nowadays IMO, what they do is just throw all their support towards 3rd-parties, both big companies and indies alike, and make it suitable for people to make games. I mean most of their great titles are 3rd-parties and you constantly see them trying to get the edge in beta, DLC, etc., and then with indies it DOES feel like they use them to fill in the gap between big titles, even if they're not directly funding them they're still drawing them in (and it's kinda upsetting almost how indies are flocking to them, lol--I just don't like any one company dominating, and while Wii U indie support is solid, the quality level is a bit under PS indies IMO).

I have more games than it would indicate, since I had a profile before that I used almost as much.

But yeah, I have a lot more games than either profile indicates. A bunch of PS1 classics, a lot of PS+ games that I have only barely played, etc.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Mystro-Sama said:

I mean am I the only one to notice? They help all these little indie studios because sooner or later they will be big AAA studios and will always remember that Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive. I even heard Sony acquired ND when it was still indie and now they make some of the best games in gaming.

This is a fair point that few bring up.  BUT!  The obvious reason they are courting indies is that indy games are...GAMES!  They count just as much as AAA.

Around the Network
Slade6alpha said:
VanceIX said:
Many of those studios will never pan out. Maybe a couple studios with big hits, but not all of them.

And it's not like Sony is giving financial support to all the indie devs. They cherry-pick a few promising ones and go from there. Sony's sponsorship of indies is pretty overblown.

This is something I can definitely agree with. Nintendo does just as well with Indies, but they barely get the recognition as Sony. 

If we are all going to be honest, the 360 has the most indie developed games going through MS Studios.  Also MS was the first to embrace indie studios with XBl and XBLA.  The problem for MS is that they were late allowing Indies to self-publish which you have to give it to Sony for one upping the competition.  All of the console makers embrace indies studios and cherry pick the ones they will invest.  Sony getting the lion share now because of being first to self-publish and having a plan in place before MS and even Nintendo were ready to act.  Kudos to Sony, they are reaping the rewords for faster initiative in the market.

As for Sony loving indies so much, you can thank their own work with indies, Apple, Google and MS.  All of those platforms opened up game development for smaller studios to prosper more so for Apple and Google with their store.  The move to open up consoles was something that had to be done because of Apple and Google and its great that a lot of studios will have ways to make money.

Also another benefit is finding that gem of a developer.  The first to get those guys platform exclusive gain an edge in the race for market share.  At this point Sony definitely has an advantage but you can never dismiss the competition.

kupomogli said:

Not true. Look at thatgamecompany. They're now making a game exclusively for the Xbox One despite Sony funding three of their games. Or what about Insomniac Games? Sony has funded all of their games starting with what was released on the PS2. They broke off from Sony to try and create a game all on their own. It bombed, and instead of going back to Sony, they're now developing Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One

Can you link to an article or source confirming their next game is X1 exclusive? I'm having trouble finding anything.

aLkaLiNE said:
kupomogli said:

Not true. Look at thatgamecompany. They're now making a game exclusively for the Xbox One despite Sony funding three of their games. Or what about Insomniac Games? Sony has funded all of their games starting with what was released on the PS2. They broke off from Sony to try and create a game all on their own. It bombed, and instead of going back to Sony, they're now developing Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One

Can you link to an article or source confirming their next game is X1 exclusive? I'm having trouble finding anything.

Hard to believe any game will be exclusive on xb1 at this point since they are losing them at such a high rate.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

VanceIX said:

You know what, you're the one who is claiming Sony is grooming indie devs in hopes of them becoming AAAs, I'm just pointing out that that is illogical.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you. If I'm not blindly praising Sony, you criticize my posts. If I am praising Sony but not to the extent everyone else is, you criticize my posts. Either way I'm passively aggressive towards Sony in your mind.

Whatever. Think what you want. Goodbye and Godspeed.

Not what I said at all. But if people followed your logic, Venture Capitalism wouldn't exist....

Posting an opinion on a public forum runs the risk of your post getting criticized. I would actually prefer if you'd just go ahead and directly bash Sony instead of this whole passive aggressive approach. Going ahead claiming to like/praise a console/game (as if that somehow improves the credibility of your posts) and subtly inserting jabs at it just rubs me the wrong way as I feel that it is insulting to one's intelligence.

But meh. See you around.

Teeqoz said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I can't think of one Indie developer that went on to be a AAA developer.  Which ones are they?

Activision, valve (you know, the guys that eventually made steam), Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Bungie, Retro Studios, etc.

I meant actual recent examples, when the term indie actually existed.