By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

Mystro-Sama said:

I mean am I the only one to notice? They help all these little indie studios because sooner or later they will be big AAA studios and will always remember that Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive. I even heard Sony acquired ND when it was still indie and now they make some of the best games in gaming.

All studios were probably "indie" at some point, but by the time Sony acquired ND they were not "indie".

"Indie" usually refers to a small team, usually with no publisher funding.  ND was under contract with Universal Studios and SCE when they were bought.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:

You know what, you're the one who is claiming Sony is grooming indie devs in hopes of them becoming AAAs, I'm just pointing out that that is illogical.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you. If I'm not blindly praising Sony, you criticize my posts. If I am praising Sony but not to the extent everyone else is, you criticize my posts. Either way I'm passively aggressive towards Sony in your mind.

Whatever. Think what you want. Goodbye and Godspeed.

Not what I said at all. But if people followed your logic, Venture Capitalism wouldn't exist....

Posting an opinion on a public forum runs the risk of your post getting criticized. I would actually prefer if you'd just go ahead and directly bash Sony instead of this whole passive aggressive approach. Going ahead claiming to like/praise a console/game (as if that somehow improves the credibility of your posts) and subtly inserting jabs at it just rubs me the wrong way as I feel that it is insulting to one's intelligence.

But meh. See you around.

See ya.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Many of those studios will never pan out. Maybe a couple studios with big hits, but not all of them.

And it's not like Sony is giving financial support to all the indie devs. They cherry-pick a few promising ones and go from there. Sony's sponsorship of indies is pretty overblown.

How can one comment trigger so much blacklash?

VanceIX said:

See ya.

Lol. Even your good byes are passive aggressive. Sheeeeeeh.

Mystro-Sama said:
VanceIX said:
Many of those studios will never pan out. Maybe a couple studios with big hits, but not all of them.

And it's not like Sony is giving financial support to all the indie devs. They cherry-pick a few promising ones and go from there. Sony's sponsorship of indies is pretty overblown.

How can one comment trigger so much blacklash?

I probably deserve a lot of it. Looking back, I sounded really negative when I guess I wasn't trying to be. What I was trying to say was that very few, if any, indies pan out to become AAA devs on their own in the modern market, so Sony supporting indies wasn't all just about grooming them, although I'm sure they would love if a developer does pan out to become amazing.

Some of the people that have commented on my post seem to believe I'm a completely biased Sony hater from the start, so those are the ones I can't take seriously.

Around the Network
DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:

See ya.

No intention of being passive-aggressive here. Maybe you just read far too much into posts?

Literally, all I meant out of that was a GIF saying that I'm done and goodbye. If you interpret it differently, not my problem.

If anything, you saying that I'm insulting to the intelligence is being aggressive, but that's another story.

VanceIX said:
DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:

See ya.

No intention of being passive-aggressive here. Maybe you just read far too much into posts?

Literally, all I meant out of that was a GIF saying that I'm done and goodbye. If you interpret it differently, not my problem.

If anything, you saying that I'm insulting to the intelligence is being aggressive, but that's another story.

Yeahhhhh, sure, I believe you. SMH.

Thought you were done. We gonna debate about your farewell techniques now?

edit. And for the nth time. It is not ALL about grooming them. It's just one possible (tho low probability, that is why more=good as it inceases their chances) benefit to a bulleted list of benefits in their support for indies 

Gaming has evolved. The cell phone / Mobile game scene is growing. And Sony sees this.

Instead of allowing Indies to thrive only on the mobile platform, Sony is giving them the opportunity to release their games on the Vita & PS4.

Maximum exposure + Greater profits for the the Indies. Plus they can now charge more for their games now that their on a console opposed to a Mobile device.

It's a Win Win for Indies.

vkaraujo said:
A lot of what was spoken here is right.

And besides all that, some indies are pretty damn good. Resogun, Towerfall, Shovel Knight and Don't Starve for example.

I've barely liked ant of the free games I've got from Sony but for free I'm not complaining and its better than nothing honestly

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Teeqoz said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I can't think of one Indie developer that went on to be a AAA developer.  Which ones are they?

Activision, valve (you know, the guys that eventually made steam), Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Bungie, Retro Studios, etc.

I meant actual recent examples, when the term indie actually existed.  

How recent?