By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Theory: The reason why Sony focuses on indies so much.

Scoobes said:

I think that's the big differentiator though. Nintendo make things a bit cheaper, but at the end of the day, they let the Indie devs do their thing seperate from Nintendo.

Sony has been actively pursuing devs and giving some of them the same sort of coverage that would normally be given to AAA devs. That little bit of extra activity goes a long way for both the dev and Sony's image.

I feel as though Nintendo is a company you have to approach rather than wait around and hope they notice you.

Even though they aren't hands on as Sony, they are doing a good effort to get indies on Wii U.

Around the Network
Ninsect said:

Why would anyone care which console you play the most? It's what you say on here that makes people form an opinion of you. Not saying I agree with that opinion.

Because people keep saying that I am blindly agressive towards Sony. A lot of people on this forum have developed the feeling that I am biased against Sony, and I am refuting that by saying that PlayStation is my go-to console, hence I am not biased.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

BHR-3 said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I mean am I the only one to notice? They help all these little indie studios because sooner or later they will be big AAA studios and will always remember that Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive. I even heard Sony acquired ND when it was still indie and now they make some of the best games in gaming.

lol

"Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive"

what happened to all the studios and games that sony gave a chance with on the PS1? theres not one game that stayed on PS FF, GTA, RE, sielent hill, tomb raider even MGS

this indie focus is just that right now were having a indie boom these games are also available on PC and more and more are also coming on XB1

Squaresoft (back then), Capcom, Konami... Those were both developers and publishers during the PS era. Not indie devs. Nice try though.

VanceIX said:
Ninsect said:

Why would anyone care which console you play the most? It's what you say on here that makes people form an opinion of you. Not saying I agree with that opinion.

Because people keep saying that I am blindly agressive towards Sony. A lot of people on this forum have developed the feeling that I am biased against Sony, and I am refuting that by saying that PlayStation is my go-to console, hence I am not biased.

But like I said, it doesn't matter what you play but what you say.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
VanceIX said:
Ninsect said:

And I'm saying it does. How many people on this forum are more judgemental of others due to their console preference? It's just the way people are on the internet. If you say something and people claim you are biased, you prove them otherwise by showing that you have experience with the console.

Around the Network
Ninsect said:
NightDragon83 said:

The whole "indie" thing is just another bullet point for the Sony camp to add to their talking points. They conveniently forget all the "indie" titles that populated the 360 and XBLA over the past generation such as Castle Crashers, Braid, and the biggest indie title of them all, Minecraft, just to name a few.

But for some reason M$ is "bad" for indie games and Sony is good, as they are good for developer relations in general. Right... just ask developers like Free Radical and Factor 5 how they're doing these days after their exclusive partnerships with Sony over the past gen.

How did they forget? All of those are available on Playstation too you know. This is a new generation, and you're using last generation for your argument here.

You might as well ask Jonathan Blow (Braid creator) how he's doing after his partnership with MS. Went straight to Sony, didn't he? 

Why Free Radical? Didn't they make Ryse (Crytek UK)? How did that turn out?

Nope, that was Crytek Frankfurt.  Free Radical (now Crytek UK), formerly of Timesplitters fame and ex-Goldeneye / PD developers from Rare, made the PS3 exclusive bomb Haze, and Factor 5, after several successful years with Nintendo behind the Rogue Squadron series and Turrican, also made the PS3 exclusive bomb Lair, and both games led to each developer's respective demise.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Hynad said:
BHR-3 said:

lol

"Sony gave them their first big break into the industry which means more exclusives for Sony. And if the talent is too good to pass up they can just buy them for cheap before they get too big and expensive"

what happened to all the studios and games that sony gave a chance with on the PS1? theres not one game that stayed on PS FF, GTA, RE, sielent hill, tomb raider even MGS

this indie focus is just that right now were having a indie boom these games are also available on PC and more and more are also coming on XB1

Squaresoft (back then), Capcom, Konami... Those were both developers and publishers during the PS era. Not indie devs. Nice try though.

correct but that doesnt change that fact that there not exclusive any more sony has shown that there not going to go out of there way to keep a game or franshise exclusive no matter how big that game is.  the OP is suggesting that sony is focusing on indies b/c they might be able to acquire good talent exclusive games for cheap which i believe is not the case is more of indies focusing on the PS4 and PC b/c the freedom these platforms offer and ease of development

i believe very few indie titles from here on out are going to remain exclusive to the PS4 platform this gen especially now with MSs indie program idxbox making grounds

Play Me

VanceIX said:
Ninsect said:

And I'm saying it does. How many people on this forum are more judgemental of others due to their console preference? It's just the way people are on the internet. If you say something and people claim you are biased, you prove them otherwise by showing that you have experience with the console.

Console preference is only evident in how and what you write in your posts. I could say "I prefer playing on Xbox" but as long as I talk mostly in favor of Playstation nobody will care because I don't show it with words.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
VanceIX said:
Ninsect said:

Console preference is only evident in how and what you write in your posts. I could say "I prefer playing on Xbox" but as long as I talk mostly in favor of Playstation nobody will care because I don't show it with words.

If you say so. I've made tons of posts in the past praising Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. If anything, those should be held in account as well, but no one has the time to go back and read all 3000+ posts again, which is why I emphasize it. I also have a PSN that I can link that has much more use than my XBL or NNID, if my word isn't good enough.

steverhcp02 said:
NightDragon83 said:

The whole "indie" thing is just another bullet point for the Sony camp to add to their talking points. They conveniently forget all the "indie" titles that populated the 360 and XBLA over the past generation such as Castle Crashers, Braid, and the biggest indie title of them all, Minecraft, just to name a few.

But for some reason M$ is "bad" for indie games and Sony is good, as they are good for developer relations in general. Right... just ask developers like Free Radical and Factor 5 how they're doing these days after their exclusive partnerships with Sony over the past gen.

This isnt true at all. the reason people have a connotation of sony = win for Indies is because Sony devotes presentation time to them and isnt afraid to use the word Indie a lot during their presentations. Remember when they had an entire segment with like 8 indie developers on stage each showing their games on screen behind them. 

No one is saying MSFT doesnt do well by indies but Sony is actually hanging their console identity on them whereas MSFT isnt. Thats all. MSFT has half heartedly done some work witht heir twitter indie handle but Sony is pushing it as an identity to their console. The same way as Kinect was pushed as an identity to Xbox but PSEye isnt. different focus and PR.

I think Sony started to be really friendly with devs when a lot of them showed their discomfort with MS. Sony was quick to capitalize on that and never looked back since.