Tagged games:

Is WWHD a Remake or Remaster?

Remake 77 35.48%

Remaster 115 53.00%

See results 23 10.60%

Total:215
Hynad said:
Anfebious said:

I have no idea if it's true but there is a major overhaul in the graphics department. But I never played the GC version (only saw screenshots) so I can't really comment on that.

The only major overhaul in the graphics is the lighting method used. The models and geometry are exactly as they were on the Gamecube. Even the textures are the same, except that they didn't need to downscale them to fit the system memory this time around. Those texture files are the ones they created for the original game.

How about the music? Is it the same or was it changed from the original? There are also several new gameplay elements which make some parts easier. Honestly I have my doubts wheter it is a remake or a "remaster" it's somehwere in the middle in my opinion. Maybe it could be considered as a "cheap remake" (as someone else pointed in this thread).

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
Hynad said:
Anfebious said:

I have no idea if it's true but there is a major overhaul in the graphics department. But I never played the GC version (only saw screenshots) so I can't really comment on that.

The only major overhaul in the graphics is the lighting method used. The models and geometry are exactly as they were on the Gamecube. Even the textures are the same, except that they didn't need to downscale them to fit the system memory this time around. Those texture files are the ones they created for the original game.

How about the music? Is it the same or was it changed from the original? There are also several new gameplay elements which make some parts easier. Honestly I have my doubts wheter it is a remake or a "remaster" it's somehwere in the middle in my opinion. Maybe it could be considered as a "cheap remake" (as someone else pointed in this thread).

It's a remaster in my book. When more than 90% of the game is exactly the same, you can't call it a remake. 

The music was remastered. The same as the rest. It sounds better, but they didn't remake it. Just used better quality samples to make the same MIDI format files sound better. But they still sound like MIDI, sadly enough. 

Nintendo said it's a remaster, so I guess it's a remaster after all!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

What a cash grab right? Or that only applies to sony.

BanMeNowPlease said:

It's not a cash grab!!! The original WW came out two thousand years ago, so it's justified!! TLOU is a cash grab because the original came out last week!!!

Around the Network
Hynad said:
BanMeNowPlease said:

It's not a cash grab!!! The original WW came out two thousand years ago, so it's justified!! TLOU is a cash grab because the original came out last week!!!

LOL your prob right thats the spin some will use.......................sad. Cash grab.

Updated

remake - old game built from ground up

everything else is a remaster.

its really that easy I dont see the problem..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Anyone here actually bother to read the Iwata Asks interview. Some part of the interview seem to imply that it is, in fact, a remake.
"Iwata: Three designers? Considering the deadline, even though it was a remake, correcting each bit of data by hand would be impossible."

"Dohta: Yeah. As a matter of fact, we found out bugs were the cause of how some of those graphics appeared on screen. So, including those things…

Iwata: You recreated them?

Dohta:Yes. I thought, “What in the world am I doing?”

Iwata: I see. When working on the shading, you even recreated the bugs!

Everyone:(laughs)"

"Dohta: The way we did it this time, even the designers making the data weren’t able to imagine how it would look when the images first appeared. Because a method had been put in place to completely replace the images, I think there were times when the designers saw those images come up for the first time and they’d be like, “What?!” (to Arimoto-san) Right? "

"Iwata: Dohta-san, you never imagined that 11 years later you’d be analyzing and reshaping the data of a game you enjoyed before you were a developer. "

I seems to me that they did quite a bit with the code

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/wind-waker/0/3
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/wind-waker/0/4

a remake would be OoT N64 to 3DS. Wind Waker is HD with better lighting and some improvements here and there so it is a remaster

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(