By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Loz Wind Waker HD. Remake or Remaster

Tagged games:

Is WWHD a Remake or Remaster?

Remake 77 35.48%

Remaster 115 53.00%

See results 23 10.60%

Total:215

It's a remaster. That even isn't up for debate.

Around the Network
DakonBlackblade said:
Hynad said:
DakonBlackblade said:
Its a remake, they redid the models, controll squemes and everythign they didnt just improved graphics keeping the same existing skeleton.

Well. No. They didn't touch the models at all. The controls are pretty much the same, just the controller is different, and the menu is now on the touch screen instead of behind the start button... 

The original Wind Waker was cell shaded was it not ? These models arent cell shaded, you cant convert cell shaded models to poligonal ones without rebuilding them from ground up.

Do you know what cell shader means? Because it looks like you think Cell shading is a 2D method.

It's not!

bubblegamer said:
leyendax69 said:
More close to remaster in my opinion, hence why the game took just few months to be completed

Exactly. Also isn't a remake supposed to be a new game? And not just the same one with better resolution?

No, it just works that way when is a Sony exclusive or third party :P

I'll post the definition of "Remake" from the wikipedia.

"A video game remake is a video game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and contemporary audiences. Typically, a remake of such game software shares essentially the same title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and core story elements of the original game.

A remake typically shares very little of the original assets and code with the original game, distinguishing it from an "enhanced port," partial remake, or remastering.

Remakes are often made by the original developer or copyright holder, sometimes by the fan community. If created by the community, Video game remakes are sometimes also called fan game and can be seen as part of the retrogaming phenomena."

After looking at the definition I wasn't sure but then I found a link at the bottom of the page: "List of video game remakes"

Wind Waker HD appears there and it has a couple of notes to justify the inclusion: Wii U, remake, features rebuilt textures, models, music and sound as well as new content and features.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Um, I'm gonna say its a remaster.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
bubblegamer said:

Yes. Other examples are: Abe's Oddysey, Metal Gear and Resident Evil GameCube versions. True remakes, this was just a remaster.

I forgot RE remakes. WW HD is probably the biggest improvement of all remasters, but its stll a remaster.

Oh btw, see Nintendo fans arent all bad :P (referring to your first comment in the thread)

lol you shame me, you terrible man

Although in my defence i never meant someone like you. Yes, you're sometimes too enthousiastic, but that's not a bad trait and you still retain your senses. The ones i was refering to know who they are!

Anfebious said:

I'll post the definition of "Remake" from the wikipedia.

"A video game remake is a video game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and contemporary audiences. Typically, a remake of such game software shares essentially the same title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and core story elements of the original game.

A remake typically shares very little of the original assets and code with the original game, distinguishing it from an "enhanced port," partial remake, or remastering.

Remakes are often made by the original developer or copyright holder, sometimes by the fan community. If created by the community, Video game remakes are sometimes also called fan game and can be seen as part of the retrogaming phenomena."

After looking at the definition I wasn't sure but then I found a link at the bottom of the page: "List of video game remakes"

Wind Waker HD appears there and it has a couple of notes to justify the inclusion: Wii U, remake, features rebuilt textures, models, music and sound as well as new content and features.

But it's not any of these.

I'm ignorant on what they did to the sound.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

mZuzek said:
Anfebious said:

Wow, it actually has rebuilt models? Never noticed that... in fact I'll take that info with a big grain of salt.

The in-game models look horrible and unchanged from the original version.

I have no idea if it's true but there is a major overhaul in the graphics department. But I never played the GC version (only saw screenshots) so I can't really comment on that.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
mZuzek said:
Anfebious said:

Wow, it actually has rebuilt models? Never noticed that... in fact I'll take that info with a big grain of salt.

The in-game models look horrible and unchanged from the original version.

I have no idea if it's true but there is a major overhaul in the graphics department. But I never played the GC version (only saw screenshots) so I can't really comment on that.

The only major overhaul in the graphics is the lighting method used. The models and geometry are exactly as they were on the Gamecube. Even the textures are the same, except that they didn't need to downscale them to fit the system memory this time around. Those texture files are the ones they created for the original game.

BNUT BUT BUT this is a travesty right N fans Where is quinton Mccloud now? What a cash grab right/.