Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Loz Wind Waker HD. Remake or Remaster

Tagged games:

Is WWHD a Remake or Remaster?

Remake 77 35.48%

Remaster 115 53.00%

See results 23 10.60%

Total:215

I'm going to copy my response from Wright's thread:

Enhanced port -- a nearly identical game experience with glossier graphics and maybe improved frame rate. Nice for people who never had a chance to play the original, but, ultimately, superfluous. Examples: God of War Collection, Banjo-Kazooie

Remaster/Partial remake -- an expansion of the original title with redone graphics and sound, and some notable gameplay changes. Examples: The Wind Waker HD, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Full Remake -- a new interpretation of an old game with new audio-visual assets and altered gameplay. A complete reimagining of the original source material. Examples: GoldenEye 007, Bionic Commando Rearmed

Around the Network

I know they changed some gameplay elements as well like making shorter raft rides. Doubt it was built from the ground up so remaster.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

tbone51 said:
bubblegamer said:
leyendax69 said:
More close to remaster in my opinion, hence why the game took just few months to be completed

Exactly. Also isn't a remake supposed to be a new game? And not just the same one with better resolution?

There lies the problem. Wat games are exactly a "Remake"? The only games that i can think of that are true "Remakes are...

Pokemon ⇒ FireRed/Leafgreen + Heartgold/Soulsilver and the upcoming OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire!

Super Mario 64 DS

Edit: Tomb Raider (ps3/x360) + Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland + Metroid Zero Mission

Yes. Other examples are: Abe's Oddysey, Metal Gear and Resident Evil GameCube versions. True remakes, this was just a remaster.

RealGamingExpert said:
Question!
Is Super Mario 64 DS a remake or a remaster?
It had a lot of new content, so i guess a remake?
Just trying to understand the difference here.

Its a port lol. Remaster is a buzz word.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
RealGamingExpert said:
Question!
Is Super Mario 64 DS a remake or a remaster?
It had a lot of new content, so i guess a remake?
Just trying to understand the difference here.

Its a port lol. Remaster is a buzz word.

This is too confusing for me...

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Around the Network

It's a remaster. case in point.

It is a Remaster imo, because to me a Remake is basically a new game. An example of this is RE1 for PS1 and REmake for gamecube

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Somewhere between, usual HD remasters don't improve the lighting or textures that much. And it has some small changes to streamline the gameplay.
But it's obviously not like the GC Resident Evil remake that was 100% redone.

Zekkyou said:

I don't think either term fully fits, the game sits somewhere in between. I'd say it's more accurately either a well done remaster or a cheap remake.

All they really did was upgrade the texture quality, add a much better lighting engine, repeatedly smash the bloom button and render it in 1080p. There are also some slight model and artistic changes, but for the most part the in-game geometry is identical to the original. It's somewhat a testament to how well the original has aged that these changes allow WWHD to look almost as good as many new WiiU titles.

Were it simply a texture/resolution upgrade (as seen below) we would all agree it was a remaster. The improved lighting and artistic changes do make it stand out as a bigger improvement than many remasters, but i wouldn't say by enough to justify the term "remake".

WW HD textures:

-

WWHD WiiU:

-

I couldn't have said it better myself.

bubblegamer said:
tbone51 said:
bubblegamer said:
leyendax69 said:
More close to remaster in my opinion, hence why the game took just few months to be completed

Exactly. Also isn't a remake supposed to be a new game? And not just the same one with better resolution?

There lies the problem. Wat games are exactly a "Remake"? The only games that i can think of that are true "Remakes are...

Pokemon ⇒ FireRed/Leafgreen + Heartgold/Soulsilver and the upcoming OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire!

Super Mario 64 DS

Edit: Tomb Raider (ps3/x360) + Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland + Metroid Zero Mission

Yes. Other examples are: Abe's Oddysey, Metal Gear and Resident Evil GameCube versions. True remakes, this was just a remaster.

I forgot RE remakes. WW HD is probably the biggest improvement of all remasters, but its stll a remaster.

Oh btw, see Nintendo fans arent all bad :P (referring to your first comment in the thread)