By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamfall Chapters no Longer Coming to Wii U or Xbox One

Xevross said:

The studio makes it sound like it was their decision but if its true then that's a dick move from Sony.

well, pretty much every developers seems to get paid from Sony/MS nowadays and almost no developer ever says it like that. They always say somethng to let it sound as if it has nothing to do with money. 

I mean, if we look at Fifa, CoD, Destiny and so on nobody should really think that Sony and Microsoft don't do exactly he same with indie studios where it is probably much cheaper to get a much better exclusivity deal.

Btw I think this game was never planned for XBox One but no clue. Just my general opinion about all this exclusivity stuff.

Around the Network
Ninsect said:

" Nintendo approached Red Thread Games about a possible port ofDreamfall Chapters to the Wii U home console immediately after the preproduction began, but it wasn't until July 2013 that the studio requested and received a dev kit to start working on the Wii U version.[43] The developers consider the Wii U port "secondary" to the main target platforms.[23]"

-Wikipedia

Last March:

"For the time being, however, the Wii U is secondary to making the PC, Mac and Linux versions as good as they can possibly be. We owe that to our backers."

Yeah they always said it was secondary and it wasn't even part of the funding campaign so WiiU owners can't really feel entitled to it...

I see, so this was completely the studio's decision and the first paragraph in the OP is wrong. It seems they were considering making a console version and the strong sales of the PS4 have convinced them to make a PS4 version. WiiU owners don't really have a reason to be upset and Xbox One owners have no reason at all. If anyone is upset its the dev's fault, not Sony's

dreamfall chapters kickstarter was for the PC version, they never stated a particular console release.
Sony basically paid them to port it to PS4.

Why people are drawing comparisons to the tomb raider situation I don't know.
But let's make it nice and clear shall we.

Paying for an additional version to be made.. and
Paying to delay the release of other versions being made

Are entirely different things.

Tamron said:
dreamfall chapters kickstarter was for the PC version, they never stated a particular console release.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Sony has influenced this decision at all.

Didn't realize a sequel for longest journey and dreamfall was in the works. Not the best adventure games by any stretch but were decent for their time. Might pick this up but I'll give it a long wait to see if it goes ps+.

Around the Network
Xevross said:
Tamron said:

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Sony has influenced this decision at all.

Except for letting all the devs out there know they got 10M and growing potential customers :P

Thanks jlmurph!

Xevross said:
Tamron said:

Doesn't really change my point.

them chosing to release on a console, and being open about the idea of other versions in the future, should not be compared to the tomb raider situation.

"Dreamfall was one of the last great adventure game series’ before Telltale brought about a modern resurgence. Over the years, fans have hoped for a third game in the series. It was because of this that the Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter made over 1 million dollars.

During the campaign, the episodic series was only announced for PC, with consoles a possibility. Now we know that Dreamfall Chapters is also coming to consoles – PS4 leading the charge.

Dreamfall Chapters is part of the “first on PlayStation” initiative which allows many digital titles some timed exclusivity on Sony’s consoles. Although it has not been announced for Xbox or Nintendo platforms, we may see that soon."

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/08/12/gamescom-2014-dreamfall-chapters-heading-to-ps4/98525/

"First on Playstation" initiative sounds a lot like a moneyhat initiative...

Good job Sony. Let's make them Xbone fans pay for laughing at us for limited time Tomb Raider exclusivity. They can not have a win!

BTW, was Dreamfall even supposed to come to Xbone? Whatever, they need to pay!

If I was an Xbone fan, I would most definitely be raging right now, just for the lulz.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Xevross said:
Tamron said:

of course there is,.. 10M sold at a rate twice the competitior is quite influential.