By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamfall Chapters no Longer Coming to Wii U or Xbox One

LudicrousSpeed said:
naruball said:
Yes, moneyhatting an indie game that I doubt most people have heard of makes total sense. And it's exactly the same as MS honeyhatting a well-known by the entire gaming community IP which found its succes on ps platforms.

Makes sense. Let's all scream double standards, shall we?

Idk or care whether Sony opened up their checkbook for this game but we all know you're referring to Tomb Raider in the second part of this post and its funny watching people go on about how the TR deal is bad because its "moneyhatting a franchise which found its success on PS platforms", yet you as well as the rest all conveniently leave out the fact that TR "found its success" on PS platforms solely as a direct result of a moneyhat deal. 

I was simply replying to people who wear crying foul and calling double standards. If you don't think that TR has a place in this thread, maybe you should tell them instead.

Around the Network
Xevross said:

The studio makes it sound like it was their decision but if its true then that's a dick move from Sony.

Its not a dick move from Sony.  If Sony gave them cash so the developer can reduce the risk of the project, concentrate on one platform and increase their chance for success then its a win/win situation.  As the developer stated they are not a big studio so limiting to one platform is a better business decision for them, even if Sony provided the incentive.  What get developers into trouble is trying to do to much with limited budget.

Wii U has plenty PC indies which are console exclusive on the Wii U. So what's the big deal?

The big deal is that a game like this would be perfectly controllable with the Wii U gamepad, plus the Wii U was the first console that was considered for this game (they received dev kits and claimed working on the Wii U was fun and easy or something along the lines).

For some reason classic adventure games are always ported to non-Nintendo systems (examples: TWD is on PS3/PS4/PSV, 360/X1, PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Kindle Fire and Oya / the next Sherlock Holmes game will soon be released on PC, PS3/PS4, 360/X1 / Broken Sword 5 is on PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, PSV). Seems those small developers have a lot resources to bring their games to plenty of systems, with one exception of course.

JPL78 said:

So you just automatically assume the developers are lying despite having nothing to base it on? That's pretty jaded.

No developer goes out there and says that they took money from anyone. It ruins their image. I'm used to this industry where devs do twist the truth. There's is the possibility that the dev really did have a lot of trouble and gave up. What I think is that they either didn't really try, or got some offer from Sony. I don't blame them either way, just pointing out that you should take nothing at face value.

Madword said:

Have you ever actually made a game? If you have then you'll know how difficult it can be to get a console company to even return your calls/emails etc. It's a big struggle being an indie game maker. So it doesnt surprise me in the least, especially as they are not the only ones to say this. Secondly these companies do get swamped with "Making a game" requests and so have trouble handling it.

Yes, it's a struggle. That's why programs like ID @ Xbox exist, to streamline the process. Like I said, they may have actually run into trouble, and I don't blame them in the least. There is a good chance though that they didn't really try, or are not giving the complete truth. Plenty of other indie games have been published through ID @ Xbox with relatively little trouble.

It depends on how serious the dev is about releasing the game on the platform. From what I can tell, the game was never really meant to go on the platform anyway, and the devs are just covering their asses from any disgruntled Xbox owners. Once again, I'm not saying that it's their fault, but to take anything at face value is never a good idea, especially in an industry like videogames where plenty of things happen behind the scenes.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

If this was crowd funded, that is a low blow. I don't think Sony had anything to do with the exclusivity though...

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

naruball said:

I was simply replying to people who wear crying foul and calling double standards. If you don't think that TR has a place in this thread, maybe you should tell them instead.

Never said it doesn't have a place in the thread. Just think it's funny when people make remarks about how bad the TR deal is because it "takes away a game that built a fanbase on Playstation" when these same people never mention the fact that it built that fanbase through its very own moneyhat deal.

LudicrousSpeed said:
naruball said:

Never said it doesn't have a place in the thread. Just think it's funny when people make remarks about how bad the TR deal is because it "takes away a game that built a fanbase on Playstation" when these same people never mention the fact that it built that fanbase through its very own moneyhat deal.

I fail to see how that is funny. First of all, do we have any evidence that shows that Sony moneyhatted for the game not not be released on another platform? Second, I'd maybe find it funny if it was a well established IP and Sony paid for it to be released on psone, which it wasn't. If MS moneyhats a new Ip and makes it successful over the years and Sony moneyhats to take it away after it becoming a successful IP, then sure, that'd be funny. But it's not the case, now is it? Of course, feel free to find funny whatever you want.

Could it still come to Wii U in the future? I mean they did say "At this point in time" instead of a solid no.