By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

I do agree the history of the circumstances if rather ironic.

They release the previous title to consoles with a combined total sales of well in exceed of 100 million units and then admit the game still didn't sell enough copies at over 6 million sold and now they are going to release a new title exclusively to a console that has fewer actual units in homes than the previous title itself sold?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Xevross said:

Before we get too dramatic, remember that the evidence now points to it only being timed. Even so, they have definitely done a fair amount of damage

Oh. I didn't see that. If I do ever end up getting it, I'd want to go for the PC version. I'm guessing that one's going to come out, considering XBO's  history for 
exclusives. 

They killed it? Did they kill Final Fantasy when they moved to Playstation?

Making a multiplatform exclusive on the console which its previous installment sold considerably less? How can Square Enix lose?

1 Uncharted game sells almost as much as TR did across 5 consoles. The series isn't that big and it's going to get buried even more now that it's been sentenced to the X1.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:

they moved FF to the most popular console and ushred in highest sales ever, now they chose numba 3 and likely will do lowest TR sales ever.

a bit different market wise lol.  

This is one of them times when I say, SE is stupid.

TR sold like 6 million, and to them that wasn't enough. Now they expect to make profits by making it exclusive on one platform with a smaller install base. They need a slap.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

It aint dead yet. A lot will depend on how the Xbox One is doing in 12 Months time, along with if the title actually makes it to different platforms.

While it is exclusive to a certain platform though, its not going to match the sales total of the first.

MohammadBadir said:

Yes because that's the same situation.... Wait no it's not. If microsoft had four times more units sold than the ps4 at this point, it would be a similar situation.

manny10032 said:
Every one is scratching their heads on this one. Weird decision SE

MS has the money to pay for the lost sales of Tomb Raider on all other applicable platforms. It will come to PC though. I am willing to bet on that.