By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

Viper1 said:
I do agree the history of the circumstances if rather ironic.

They release the previous title to consoles with a combined total sales of well in exceed of 100 million units and then admit the game still didn't sell enough copies at over 6 million sold and now they are going to release a new title exclusively to a console that has fewer actual units in homes than the previous title itself sold?

Each Xbox owner will have to pitch in and buy five copies each - boom more than 6m sold.

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Around the Network

I think MS took a gamble here. Will it pay off? That is the question.

SE on the other hand.. They care more about money.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
BeElite said:
MohammadBadir said:
They killed it? Did they kill Final Fantasy when they moved to Playstation?

they moved FF to the most popular console and ushred in highest sales ever, now they chose numba 3 and likely will do lowest TR sales ever.

a bit different market wise lol.  

The PS1 was barely released when they announced that they moved to Playstation. The PS1 didn't start off doing gangbusters like some people believe, it was actually still getting outsold by the SNES for the better part of a year.

Yes they did. Quite sad. When's the next TR reboot coming, you reckon? 2017?

MohammadBadir said:
BeElite said:
MohammadBadir said:
They killed it? Did they kill Final Fantasy when they moved to Playstation?

they moved FF to the most popular console and ushred in highest sales ever, now they chose numba 3 and likely will do lowest TR sales ever.

a bit different market wise lol.  

The PS1 was barely released when they announced that they moved to Playstation. The PS1 didn't start off doing gangbusters like some people believe, it was actually still getting outsold by the SNES for the better part of a year.

The Playstation was still far more popular than the Saturn even in those early quarters.   And development costs (CD's and lower royalties) made Sony a financially sound choice to move to back then.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

Just one? Square-Enix killed almost half of his franchises. Front Mission and FF Tactics are the first ones to come to my mind.

Tomb Raider 2013 was a good game, but it wasn't a good tomb raider. They went the Uncharted route and mixed in a pseudo open world. The Best part of Tomb Raider was always the puzzles and traps in the tombs. That was an after thought in Tomb Raider 2013 . If Rise of the Tomb Raider is anything close to 2013 , then to be honest I don't feel Tomb Raider fans of old are missing a proper Tomb Raider . It will most likely be a good game, but it won't be Tomb Raider .

But, nah, the franchise will be damaged but fine in the end.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

My credibility for SE reached an alltime low. Even if they release it later on PC/PS4, the game will feel fake. I think it is not just something that affects the business SE practices, the games are also affected when you see so much greedy all around.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...