By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

This is silly, tomb raider is a pretty big franchise alreadly.

For me this Resident evil 4 GC all over again.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network

And what exactly is their reasoning? Tomb Raider (2013) sold the most on the PS3, so they're making it X1 exclusive? Just when I thought SE was getting they're shit together. Oh well.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

SE lost nothing MS will pay for almost everything. This is money flexing at its finest~

I see this right above "Rise of the Tomb Raider Exclusive to Xbox One" and I know exactly where it's going. Eh, good for the people who have an Xbox One... like me. Squenix obviously made this decision for a reason, and I would like to see what they do with it. If they thought 6.5 million was a failure for the reboot, I'm surprised that they made a sequel at all, let alone making it exclusive to Xbox One. That might be a hint that Squenix actually knows what they're doing this time. Who knows? Also, it's not going to go away completely dude, you're overreacting. Sonic didn't dissipate after the the failure that was 06', and he still lives today.

There is a petition on change.org to bring Rise of Tomb Raider to PS4 and PC. I think that's a dumb petition.

If and when, this is released to PS4 (assuming this is a timed exclusive), there should be a petition amongst PS4 gamers to NOT buy this game. People can whine all they want and have all sorts of petition, but hurting their wallets is the only way to get the message across.

Around the Network

This could be a timed exclusive or sequels will come to other systems. This is no different from Sony paying Insomniac to make games last gen, and MS this gen. Companies do this to strengthen their brand, I feel sorry for the Sony fans missing out (I really do actually) but this is how it works.

I think SE survives, they can always push sequels onto other platforms.

adriane23 said:
And what exactly is their reasoning? Tomb Raider (2013) sold the most on the PS3, so they're making it X1 exclusive? Just when I thought SE was getting they're shit together. Oh well.

TR:DE also sold most on PS4.

BeElite said:
Maybe but I'm sure MS payed out their ass for it.

And exclusive 2015 ?? I'm betting PS4 is getting the ultimate all dlc edition early in 2016 or else yahh they reallt killed the franchise.

Pretty much this.

XBone needs it. I can't believe the Wii U is outseling it!

Bad move from Square. Even if MS is paying development costs, TR could made some serious cash in this moment of drought. Gamers are Starving on the next-gen. Damn Watch Dogs sold 4M in the first week and it was a new IP.
Not saying TR was set to sell 4M first week, but could sell well.

Even to MS, i'm not sure if this is good. They do have to put up a fight, but TR is no system seller and it will not sell that well. This will most likely be a loss to MS in the short term. Let's see if it can help towards the perception of the console though.