By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider Timed Exclusive for Xbox

so microsoft decided to BUY the franchise or at least this IP?

LOL they might as well just buy all of square enix, and EA, and Ubisoft.. this is why, or most of sony's game division..

absolutely disgusting, considering the fact the first game sold more on ps3 than 360, and WAAAY more on ps4 than on xbox one.. absolutely disgusting

mM
Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
This pretty means one thing; Microsoft knows they don't have a strong lineup for 2015 and are absolutely terrified of Uncharted 4, so they pretty much threw so much money that they drove a company to alienate the fan base that started it's series. I wonder if CD already forgot that both of Tomb Raider and the definitive version sold better on PS3/ PS4?

Hah! Uncharted isn't as big as you think. 1st party isn't even the reason for PS4's success.

Obviously Tomb Raider sold better on Sony platforms. But did you consider maybe MS paid a lot of money and/or Square Enix might need the money?

Uncharted is WAY bigger than tomb raider is nowadays.. even though tomb raider 2013 ended up rebooting the fanchise to it's former TPS glory.. but it is not on par with Uncharted.. which Uncharted 3 sold upwards of 6 or 7 million copies... or more..

Microsoft did buy the exclusivity.. and it is more than likely a timed exclusive..

mM

Forgive me for not reading the 50+ pages, as someone may have already said it, but...

I can see the plus and minus in this. The plus is that Microsoft is doing what Nintendo is doing: building exclusives so that a purchase of their system is more compelling. The minus is that Square-Enix isn't doing all that great, and limiting a franchise that not only got its start on Playstation and also isn't a top telling title against Uncharted from which the reboot draws so heavily upon (and not necessarily in a bad way, I actually LIKED the Tomb Raider reboot!) could potentially limit the sales of the game WAY more than they're anticipating.

Either way, this is both good and bad, but if the game is THAT good, Microsoft may have found their "Uncharted", and I honestly would prefer playing as Lara Croft over Nathan Drake, lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
CGI-Quality said:

Yep, that makes three of us. It is a solid pick-up for MS, but fan frustration is understandable. Then again, I'm not complaining - I'll be getting the Halo 5 Xbox One just before this launches (unless Quantum Break releases first ), so I'll be all set!

It's not even that solid for MS.  Does TR sell consoles, especially Xbox consoles?

This is a bad deal for MS, bad deal for the fans.  Only SQUARE/CD will be in the money, in exchange for being dicks to their fans.

My 8th gen collection

It's like 1994-2000 never existed in a lot of sony fans minds on this site.

What games DEFINED the ps1 during that period? that's right, Gran Turismo aside it was all ALL 3RD PARTY games, (for example, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis and many MANY more).

Even During the ps2 era sony relied heavily on 3rd party exclusives like Devil May Cry 1-3, Oinmusha 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 2 (timed exclusive) Metal Gear Solid 3 (full exclusive that gen). GTA Vice City & San Andreas (timed exclusive) and many MANY more.

Some of you make it sound like you have a fundamental right to have EVERY single game you want on your sony consoles.

Newsflash, perhaps if you embraced other consoles, and actually acknowledged that perhaps it's not the best way to go to purely own sony devices, then maybe just MAYBE you might not actually be so bitter about all this.

In fact, i'm sure i read somewhere that sony had a deal to ensure no games after the first Tomb Raider in the series went to any other console until 2000.

Oh.......... look, and here's the proof that i was looking for..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Design

Around the Network
ICStats said:
There's a petition up to change this: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/square-enix-and-crystal-dynamics-rescind-the-arrangement-to-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-exclusively-on-xbox-one-2

Someone should start another petition if rise of tomb raider came to PS4 (assuming this is timed exclusive) for PS4 gamers to boycott this game.  People can whine and start petitions that have no effect on these companies, but if you hurt their wallets, maybe they're stopped doing these 3rd exclusivity deals.

Interesting move. Anyway I just hope this one is as good as the last one was! And this is a nice pick up for MS timed or not!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

leo-j said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Hah! Uncharted isn't as big as you think. 1st party isn't even the reason for PS4's success.

Obviously Tomb Raider sold better on Sony platforms. But did you consider maybe MS paid a lot of money and/or Square Enix might need the money?

Uncharted is WAY bigger than tomb raider is nowadays.. even though tomb raider 2013 ended up rebooting the fanchise to it's former TPS glory.. but it is not on par with Uncharted.. which Uncharted 3 sold upwards of 6 or 7 million copies... or more..

Microsoft did buy the exclusivity.. and it is more than likely a timed exclusive..

I'm not arguing Tomb Raider is bigger than Uncharted. But I'll respond to your sales boasting by reminding you the Uncharted series had a lot of bundling, U3 included. Tomb Raider didn't have any big physical bundling.

I agree that Tomb Raider is likely a timed exclusive. Sony fans should be able to enjoy it eventually, no need to make a big stink.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

great move by MS as Xbone needs as many must have games as possible

love the butthurt lol

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Sony's "exclusivity deal" to take Tomb Raider 2 & 3 away from the Suturn/N64.......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Design

So what you got to say about that "mob"?