By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider Timed Exclusive for Xbox

There goes my hope for a more traditional Tombraider with focus on exploration and tomb raiding. If they needed 6 million sold to get in the black last gen, they'll have to severely cut back the budget for this one, only going to 1 system. Counter to needing a bigger budget to make a current gen game. Less variety, less area to explore, more shooting. Just when it's easier to cross develop than ever.

Although MS could have fronted them $100 million budget plus free marketing.

It doesn't really affect me, I'll end up with a XBox One before the end of the gen anyway, but probably won't be buying the next Tombraider new. Stupid strategy, it didn't work for the 360 in Japan, and it will only end up giving more attention and sales to Uncharted 4. Naughty dog must be happy with this news.

Around the Network

Sure. Less time dedicated to port and optimization.

More time and budget for Crystal Dynamic to perfect the franchise that is already stellar.

Anyone else notice that Housemarque's new game stole Tomb Raider's new subtitle?

Goatseye said:

More time and budget for Crystal Dynamic to perfect the franchise that is already stellar.

Perfected, to be played by under 20% of the fans.

My 8th gen collection

Sad thing (for MS) is that this ONE GAME is about all they had to show that was new or noteworthy. I just watched Sony's presentation...and they showed a TON more exclusive games for their console...and not just small indie titles...The Ninja Theory game, Hellblade looks great, as does Alienation, Rime, Wild (this looks beyond awesome!), Tearaway...those are just the ones that stuck in my head. MS was OWNED at Gamescom, despite the moneyhatting!

Around the Network
ICStats said:
Goatseye said:

Perfected, to be played by under 20% of the fans.

Under 20% of really happy and devoted fans.

JGarret said:
That´ll make Uncharted vs Tomb Raider all the more interesting.

yeah. even though i find all the uncharted games near perfect, i found tomb raider to be better due to the edgeyness of the game. 

on a side note, i REALLY am tired of Drake being the only one smart enough to find the treausre just to lead his rival or whoever to steal it from him and then run away for his life.

jnemesh said:
Sad thing (for MS) is that this ONE GAME is about all they had to show that was new or noteworthy. I just watched Sony's presentation...and they showed a TON more exclusive games for their console...and not just small indie titles...The Ninja Theory game, Hellblade looks great, as does Alienation, Rime, Wild (this looks beyond awesome!), Tearaway...those are just the ones that stuck in my head. MS was OWNED at Gamescom, despite the moneyhatting!

Noteworthy is subjective.

I'll take my Halo games over anything you mentioned. Tomb Raider was just a nice bonus as a Xbox owner.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AgentZorn said:
I don't get why people are so upset over this.

Money has the biggest sway in this industry. If Microsoft payed for it to be exclusive then it's all fair game. Microsoft needs what it can get to to entice people into buying a XOne.

They think Tomb Raider will get people to get an XOne?  That's just plain dumb.

I guess Quantum Break isn't noteworthy, Forza H., Ori and TBF, Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive, etc...