By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs Xbox One: Race to second place

Who will win in the end?

Wii U 425 70.60%

Xbox One 172 28.57%

Total:597
thismeintiel said:
I think there are many like me who will buy a PS4 first, but will consider buying a Wii U when it's ~$199-$249, both for some exclusives and for the kids. So, a price cut this holiday season would be a wise choice, as it makes it cheap enough to be a 2nd console for core gamers.

A price cut of $50 let alone $100 this year seems out of the question with Nintendo's financials in the red last quarter, and their target to be profitable this year.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
BeElite said:
Nintentacle said:
BeElite said:
Wiiu base will fall soon enough, X1 will slightly rise and hold on strength of 3rd parties.

2nd will be close as between gc xbox, or slightly more separated.

LT Wiiu 18m X1 as high as around 29m.

I don't understand the 3rd party part, it has barely helped Xbox One at all. Wii U is remaning at the same baseline and Xbox One is still dropping.

nothing cant really help much can it.  But the coming flood of games is another story.  

The third party games will mainly move PS4's, and the only actually exclusive that will move consoles is Halo. I think Xbox One will win, but not nearly as fast as you think, or by as much as you think.

AnthonyW86 said:

I can still see the XOne take 2nd place before the end of the year. The gap could schrink to about 1 million by the end of September, with XOne tier 2 launch and games like Destiny. Besides i think VGChartz tracking is a little off.

It won't take a miracle for the XOne outsell the Wii-U by one million in the course of the last 3 months of the year, including the holiday's.

U tellin' me, Xbox One, will sell at the very least... 1.25 million in September? Sure, Destiny is gonna sell a shitload, but that much?

Nintentacle said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I can still see the XOne take 2nd place before the end of the year. The gap could schrink to about 1 million by the end of September, with XOne tier 2 launch and games like Destiny. Besides i think VGChartz tracking is a little off.

It won't take a miracle for the XOne outsell the Wii-U by one million in the course of the last 3 months of the year, including the holiday's.

U tellin' me, Xbox One, will sell at l the very least... 1.25 million in September? Sure, Destiny is gonna sell a shitload, but that much?

ps4 has a lot better chance than xbox one imo

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

X1 will win in the longer run, unfortunately for Nintendo there just isn't a large enough market for a "family" game console unless you have a fashionable/trendy new "hook" to sell it with (which the Wii U doesn't).

X1 will eventually drop to $349.99 and then $299.99 and none of its bigger games have really come out yet, whereas the Wii U has Mario 3D, NSMBU, Mario Kart, DKC, Nintendo Land, Zelda: WW, Wii Fit, etc. already spent.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter who sells what for any given month. I think the upper end of the market that Nintendo has to sell to is basically about 20 million households. And that's assuming a fairly generous increase in sales from here on out, because right now it's trending to finish at around 15 million LTD when compared to the sales performance of previous Nintendo gens. 

That's just not a lot. X1 probably isn't going to be as successful as the 360, but it should be able to top 20 mill without much fuss, even the original XBox sold more than that and probably would've hit 30 million LTD if MS didn't pull the plug on it. 

Around the Network

I think XOne will end second, but it will have a little more trouble than it might looked in the beginning

Soundwave said:
X1 will win in the longer run, unfortunately for Nintendo there just isn't a large enough market for a "family" game console unless you have a fashionable/trendy new "hook" to sell it with (which the Wii U doesn't).

X1 will eventually drop to $349.99 and then $299.99 and none of its bigger games have really come out yet, whereas the Wii U has Mario 3D, NSMBU, Mario Kart, DKC, Nintendo Land, Zelda: WW, Wii Fit, etc. already spent.

By the time they won't be loosing tons of money on a $299 price, I'm pretty sure all their heavy-hitters will be out.

As for Wii U, why can't it drop to $249.99, and then $199.99?

Nintentacle said:
Soundwave said:

By the time they won't be loosing tons of money on a $299 price, I'm pretty sure all their heavy-hitters will be out.

MS can afford to take some losses, but their chips may scale in cost faster simply because they used a less custom design than Nintendo did. I suspect X1 may drop to $349.99 this November honestly. Seems like a Euro price cut is incoming fast, North America will probably follow suit. 

Wii U will drop in price too, but I think it will be more slowly. I think Nintendo's plan now is they know the Wii U isn't going to sell a ton of units, but they are not going to lose any more money on it than they have to. If the same 20 million people are going to buy it one way or another, it's not worth it to them to take unneccessary losses on hardware. 

Unlike MS, Nintendo doesn't have any other divisions to pick up the slack if their game division is not making money ... which it hasn't for the last 3 years. 

The other advantage MS has is their "heavy hitters" can come from a variety of different sources, there likely will be several new IP this gen from third parties that become big hits on PS4/X1 that we don't know about, the same way we didn't really know Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed and BioShock or Arkham series and several other new IP would be break out hits one year into the 360's lifespan. That's simply one (big) perk of having so much 3rd party support. 

Soundwave said:
Nintentacle said:
Soundwave said:

MS can afford to take some losses, but their chips may scale in cost faster simply because they used a less custom design than Nintendo did. 

Wii U will drop in price too, but I think it will be more slowly. I think Nintendo's plan now is they know the Wii U isn't going to sell a ton of units, but they are not going to lose any more money on it than they have to. If the same 20 million people are going to buy it one way or another, it's not worth it to them to take unneccessary losses on hardware. 

Unlike MS, Nintendo doesn't have any other divisions to pick up the slack if their game division is not making money ... which it hasn't for the last 3 years. 

The other advantage MS has is their "heavy hitters" can come from a variety of different sources, there likely will be several new IP this gen from third parties that become big hits on PS4/X1 that we don't know about, the same way we didn't really know Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed and BioShock or Arkham series and several other new IP would be break out hits one year into the 360's lifespan. That's simply one (big) perk of having so much 3rd party support. 

I guess that makes sense.

After this resurgence from MK8 it's hard to count the WiiU losing it's spot. I can see MS being more aggressive in terms of holiday bundles/ price cuts in the coming years as well as a Halo/ Gears boost that might help give them an edge but I'm still going with the WiiU. Once it drops to $199 it's going to be hard to pass up with it's library & free online.