By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will Wii U pass up GameCube?

When will Wii U pass GameCube?

2015 (we know its not this year) 81 12.96%

2016 138 22.08%

2017 127 20.32%

2018 47 7.52%

2019 18 2.88%

never 214 34.24%

Total:625

I'm gonna say that the Wii U reaches 23 million, not as much as the GC.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
oniyide said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:
oniyide said:
probably in 2016. people are JUST starting to realize that the wii u is better than the other consoles.

yeah, no. pretty sure PS4 outsells it almost 2 to 1 most weeks

That has nothing to do with when it will pass gamecube

fair enough, but why even bring up the bolded. not that what you said was right in the first place

i said that because there seems to be a slight shift in the atittude about the wii u. it started as, well its actually a last gen console (somehow) so it cant compete on the level of ps4 and x1 (lol). and at this point, people actually see that this console has games whereas with th eps4, they thought it was going to have a lot more games at this point (other than remasters). 

i really do think that people are slowly starting to see that the wii u is actually better than the other two at this point. yes, its slow, and yes people are still willing to put their faith in the ps4 (greatness awaits.. hopefully). also, just because the wii u has better games now doesnt mean that it will a year or two from now. BUT the fact that it has the best and most software available now is going to help it. and im sure it is going to pass the gamecube. id say the low end for wii u is about 30.

ICStats said:
sc94597 said:

Personally I'd rather play shooters on the Wii U than the PS4/XBO (assuming I didn't have a PC) for Wiimote controls alone. 

Maybe you and few people stuck in the past but most people I talk to don't like that.  Personally I hate playing this kind of game with Wiimote, and Nintendo isn't even pushing Wiimote play anymore.

stuck in the past? that doesnt even make any sense. he is saying he would rather play a shooting game with a wiimote, how is that being stuck in the past? that is embracing a new way to play games. people who scoff at it and dont even try are the ones who are stuck in the past, right? i dont get what youre saying. and honestly, id rather play a shooting game with a wiimote if its actually good. like the metroid prime games, and as far as i know, those are the only games that have done FPS properly. red steel 2 was ok, but the controls werent nearly as tight as Metroid Prime 3.

again, though, i dont see how thats being stuck in the past. i think youre confused.

I'm going with 2016 (or by March 2017 at least). The Wii U's peak year should be 2015 since hopefully both MK8 and Smash combined will give the Wii U a new good baseline (MK8 has done a good job so far) for 2015, we get nearly 1 Nintendo game a month, and least but not least a price cut.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

I would be surprised if it does, I think we will see a new home console from Nintendo within 2 years or 2 E3s.

Honestly if I get another 3 reason, IE 3 more exclusives other than Xenoblade Chronicles X I will buy a Wii U. I'm not a fan of fighting, racing, or platformers (just fucking tired of mario and rehashed games from the mario universe).

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
ICStats said:
sc94597 said:

Personally I'd rather play shooters on the Wii U than the PS4/XBO (assuming I didn't have a PC) for Wiimote controls alone. 

Maybe you and few people stuck in the past but most people I talk to don't like that.  Personally I hate playing this kind of game with Wiimote, and Nintendo isn't even pushing Wiimote play anymore.

stuck in the past? that doesnt even make any sense. he is saying he would rather play a shooting game with a wiimote, how is that being stuck in the past? that is embracing a new way to play games. people who scoff at it and dont even try are the ones who are stuck in the past, right? i dont get what youre saying. and honestly, id rather play a shooting game with a wiimote if its actually good. like the metroid prime games, and as far as i know, those are the only games that have done FPS properly. red steel 2 was ok, but the controls werent nearly as tight as Metroid Prime 3.

again, though, i dont see how thats being stuck in the past. i think youre confused.

Stuck in the past as in stuck in the motion craze from 5 to 8 years ago.

Just because it's recent in history doesn't mean it's still new.  So you played a game which was good, that's great.  Where are all the other games coming out that use great motion controls?  There aren't, because current motion control options are yesterdays news.

If it was 2007 and I scoffed at your Wiimote without trying it I'd be stuck in the past, but no I've played those games, and now we're not having that same debate in 2014.

My 8th gen collection

tbone51 said:

Lol, dunno why i laughed at this. 

OT: In the most likely club, it wont hit 20mil lifetime. There's a chance, just not a very good one. Nintendo would need to pull a miracle at this point :-/

What bubblegamer said to toastboy applies to me for this.

toastboy44562 said:
drake_tolu said:

Wii U will sell 10,5 million by end of year, and will increase the sales next year.

"Octimist", no, you hope this number but even you know that will sell more. :3

10.5 million not 10,5 million. that is two numbers.

lol not a chance will it sell more. 10 million maximum.

Toast, in Europe they use comma (,) like the US/UK/Commonwealth countries use (.) , so 10.5 million is written as 10,5. Can be confusing because we use (,) to separate numbers into sequencies of 3 digits (ie, 10,500,000 is 10.5 million, not 10.500.000). I think drake_tolu is spanish, hence the use of comma. 

OT, I can't see the Wii U outselling the Gamecube, its not outselling it now and the Wii U won't be able to get to as low a price as the Gamecube did due to the gamepad increasing the unit cost. I also think Nintendo will take it behind the shed and shoot it sometime in 2016-17 once its replacement is ready, and therefore denying it the chance to slowly creep past the Gamecube. 

oniyide said:
oniyide said:
probably in 2016. people are JUST starting to realize that the wii u is better than the other consoles.

yeah, no. pretty sure PS4 outsells it almost 2 to 1 most weeks

That has nothing to do with when it will pass gamecube

fair enough, but why even bring up the bolded. not that what you said was right in the first place

i said that because there seems to be a slight shift in the atittude about the wii u. it started as, well its actually a last gen console (somehow) so it cant compete on the level of ps4 and x1 (lol). and at this point, people actually see that this console has games whereas with th eps4, they thought it was going to have a lot more games at this point (other than remasters). 

i really do think that people are slowly starting to see that the wii u is actually better than the other two at this point. yes, its slow, and yes people are still willing to put their faith in the ps4 (greatness awaits.. hopefully). also, just because the wii u has better games now doesnt mean that it will a year or two from now. BUT the fact that it has the best and most software available now is going to help it. and im sure it is going to pass the gamecube. id say the low end for wii u is about 30.

no it cant compete with the PS4 or One not on a technical level and that is a fact. No one thought the PS4 was going to have a lot more games by now. I love how people make stuff up, show me where anyone said that. THe system isnt even a year old yet. 

WHere do you see that? it sure as hell isnt in the sales. PS4 is still killing it by a large number. If we are talking strictly xone then you have an argument but anything is just plain false.

it aint doing 30mil. Id say 25

Nintendo managed to sell just over 80,000 units during the month of July of 2014 and stand behind the Gamecube sales in the same time frame (2003). Even with the help of Mario Kart 8. The Wii U sales will be behind the Gamecube sales in the American market. Sadly.