By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo -V- 3rd Parties

Intrinsic said:

I can respect that. I agree that nintendo make some really great games. But imho, so does everyone else. Looking back at every game in all the genres I have played, the only genre that I may tentatively give nintendo the crown is in side scrolling platform based games. And thats because even though I feel a game like LBP has more depth and variety, its floaty controls puts it behind offerings from nintendo. 

But when it comes to every other genre, I can only assume that most of the nintendo faithful simply haven't played other games in those genres and is why they champion nintendo games.

Like kets take MK. At its core its a arcade/combat/racing/tactical game. You basically race around, pick up power-ups or weapons and how or what you choose to use or pick up determines if you win the race or not. Personally, I feel it doesn't hold a candle to a game like Wipeout (especially wipeout HD/fury) which is basically the same kinda game just considerably harder cause emphasis is actually put on learning the tracks and piloting the crafts very well. And this is just an example....

Heh! I actually haven't tried Wipeout ( I did try other kart racers like Crash Team Racing), but what stands out to me in MK are the tracks! In MK8 there are very few tracks which I would consider to be "badly-designed" and that's why I have a good time with it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

I can respect that. I agree that nintendo make some really great games. But imho, so does everyone else. Looking back at every game in all the genres I have played, the only genre that I may tentatively give nintendo the crown is in side scrolling platform based games. And thats because even though I feel a game like LBP has more depth and variety, its floaty controls puts it behind offerings from nintendo. 

But when it comes to every other genre, I can only assume that most of the nintendo faithful simply haven't played other games in those genres and is why they champion nintendo games.

Like kets take MK. At its core its a arcade/combat/racing/tactical game. You basically race around, pick up power-ups or weapons and how or what you choose to use or pick up determines if you win the race or not. Personally, I feel it doesn't hold a candle to a game like Wipeout (especially wipeout HD/fury) which is basically the same kinda game just considerably harder cause emphasis is actually put on learning the tracks and piloting the crafts very well. And this is just an example....

I think it would make more sense to compare Wipeout and F-zero, they are both similar to each other and equally as good.

You can see the Nintendo difference (if i may be so arrogant to say) in Mario kart, companies like sony (with crash racing, modnation racng, lbp), Sega (sonic racing) and countless others have tried to replicate the  formula and success, yet none have made a real challenge on the titles throne.

MoHasanie said:
Well third party developers won't lose anything by not being on the Wii U. Their games don't sell on that console. Nintendo will lose because many customers will not purchase a Wii U since it has the lowest amount of games and most are Nintendo games.

According to VGcharts Wii U 289 games, Xbone 189, Ps4 269. i assume you have the xbox

markodeniro said:
MoHasanie said:
Well third party developers won't lose anything by not being on the Wii U. Their games don't sell on that console. Nintendo will lose because many customers will not purchase a Wii U since it has the lowest amount of games and most are Nintendo games.

According to VGcharts Wii U 289 games, Xbone 189, Ps4 269. i assume you have the xbox

Why do you assume that? 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Nexus7 said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Nexus7 said:

None of those games makes me want to shell out $299.99 for a console. Just a bunch of sequels of franchises I've played for 10+ yrs.  Splatoon is nothing but a kid friendly/Mother approved Call of Duty.  

A Star Fox reboot would get me interested, but after seeing Miyamoto's recent tech demos of Giant Robot and that Surveillence Camera game makes me think he has lost his touch.  Yes, I know Star Fox is an old franchise, but it is one franchise Nintendo hasn't milked to high heaven. 

You should close your mind a little more!

Why because I think Splatoon looks lame?  Because I'm getting sick of old Nintendo franchises? Dude, I've been playing Zelda games for 20+ yrs, I'm worn out. 

But playing old franchises from other publishers is OK??

Around the Network
DerNebel said:

This is the obvious opinion that you dress up like a fact:

"Nintendo are by far the best 1st party developerer and have the best exclusives."

The rest of your post here really doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote.

If you only own a Wii U then you will factually miss out on more games than you would if you only owned a PS4/X1/PC, if we start to add in quality or anything like that, then we enter the realm of opinions again, which would make this question impossible to answer since everybody likes different games and will thus have different standpoints on where they would miss out more.

Well, I guess that's your opinion too. I only miss Dragon age and the Witcher 3. People keep telling me of all "these" AAA 3rd party games I'll be missing, but for me, that's about it. The never actually mention anything else worth buying. I'm also looking at the steam machine possibility in future. I apologise if I came across as opinionated. I honestly loved my ps3, ps2 and psx.

Both, but Nintendo provides the most unique experiences of all the 3 consoles (in my opinion). I feel that all the 3rd party games are starting to feel so similar or are just minor upgrades to previous entries.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:
DerNebel said:

This is the obvious opinion that you dress up like a fact:

"Nintendo are by far the best 1st party developerer and have the best exclusives."

The rest of your post here really doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote.

If you only own a Wii U then you will factually miss out on more games than you would if you only owned a PS4/X1/PC, if we start to add in quality or anything like that, then we enter the realm of opinions again, which would make this question impossible to answer since everybody likes different games and will thus have different standpoints on where they would miss out more.

Well, I guess that's your opinion too. I only miss Drago age and the witcher 3. People keep telling me of all "these" AAA 3rd party games I'll be missing, but for me, that's about it. I'm also looking at the steam machine possibility in future. I apologise if I came across as opinionated. I honestly loved my ps3, ps2 and psx.

Well naturally it's my opinion, that Nintendos first party is not the best, that's different for everyone.

And don't worry, I wasn't offended by you or anything, it's just that you question in the OP really isn't one that has an universally right answer, it's something everyone has to know for himself.

Reaper2170 said:
Both, but Nintendo provides the most unique experiences of all the 3 consoles (in my opinion). I feel that all the 3rd party games are starting to feel so similar or are just minor upgrades to previous entries.

^This. I find Nintendo goes out of their way to deliver something unique, while the competition is fine with "this looks better".

I laugh at all the people who go to the "just your opinion" card when they are confronted by the fact that Nintendo is the best video game developer in the world.

If you apply any sort of objective metric it's an obvious conclusion. Yet people insist on dismissing it based on their personal taste as if that has any bearing on the issue. Of course, this kind of reactionary behavior undermines the use of comparative adjectives all together and makes statements comparing anything meaningless.

For example if I say that Wii U has the best 3rd party support, people would get their panties in a bunch and go to the delusional argument or whatever. No one would care that my opinion is that for every iteration of Madden that misses a console, third party support gets better. In this case, it's perfectly acceptable to use objective measurements of what constitutes better or worse. So why is it so important to hold up subjective opinion when the fact that Nintendo rules the video game world come up?

Because it burns, that's why. It burns people to know in their heart of hearts that their personal favorite companies and entities will never reach past the ankles of Nintendo. Not in historical significance, not in hard sales, not in quality, not in any meaningful way. And when we burn on the inside, we look for ways to control that fire and go to irrational lengths to fool ourselves.