By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony being sued over Killzone not being 1080p.

Lawsuits in the USA are such a joke. They should charge the law firms that put these type of cases in front of a judge. If the case has merit and is decided to go to trial then the money is returned. Instead, it forces companies to settle because of the cost of litigation and the cycle continues.

Around the Network

Another lowlife loser trying to get rich on account of someone else's hard work. Yay for suing..

More like Douglas LOL-dore

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

I literally laughed out loud, you guys should have heard.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Zekkyou said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
amak11 said:
Has anyone looked at the back of game case? Does it say 1080p or 1080i or does it specify for both?

There is also a difference between whether it's rendered at 1080p and whether it's displayed.

Besides he might have looked at the back of the case, hopped on multiplayer and seen 1080i (some TVs will display when a resolution change has happened)

Every PS4 case says 1080p, even for games we know are not 1080p.

I think the difference here and this guys issue is Sony advertised and marketed the MP as native 1080p, which it isn't.

The resolutions listed on the back of PS4 (and PS3) games is just what the game can be displayed as on your TV. If it can be upscaled to 1080p or downscaled to something lower then those resolutions are listed. That's why it says "video output". For example the back of I:SS's case lists 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Likewise TLOU:R lists 720p and 1080p.

MS do the same thing with 360 games. For some reason X1 boxes don't list anything at all.

I know all of that. It seems his issue is with the way they marketed it. They did advertise it as native 1080p in MP.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Zekkyou said:

The resolutions listed on the back of PS4 (and PS3) games is just what the game can be displayed as on your TV. If it can be upscaled to 1080p or downscaled to something lower then those resolutions are listed. That's why it says "video output". For example the back of I:SS's case lists 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Likewise TLOU:R lists 720p and 1080p.

MS do the same thing with 360 games. For some reason X1 boxes don't list anything at all.

I know all of that. It seems his issue is with the way they marketed it. They did advertise it as native 1080p in MP.

Technically it is native 1080p. The image is a pixel perfect 1920x1080 after all (native simply refers to a displayed resolution that matches the source image). The method of getting there is just... unconventional :p

Sony were certainly misleading, but not enough for this guy to have chance at winning in court, nothing significant anyway.

He should sue them for the terrible voice acting instead.

Raziel123 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Raziel123 said:
But Killzone is native 1080p.

Only the single player, not the multi.

that's enough to not give this any grounds

besides, we'd have to start suing everyone as most 720p games last gen weren't native 720p.

Here's the thing, Sony pushed Killzone for 1080p and it technically is. In SP its 1920x1080p, in MP its 960x1080p. A pixel count near 720p.

Other developers don't claim their games are 720p when the native resolution is actually lower. Sony wanted to capitalize on the resolution war going on right now and mislead people. Maybe getting sued will just make Sony a little more honest in the future.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Zekkyou said:

Technically it is native 1080p. The image is a pixel perfect 1920x1080 after all (native simply refers to a displayed resolution that matches the source image). The method of getting there is just... unconventional :p

Not what the killzone devs say:
https://www.killzone.com/en_GB/blog/news/2014-03-06_regarding-killzone-shadow-fall-and-1080p.html

In Multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called “temporal reprojection,” which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.

The dude sueing probably has that blog nicely printed out on cardboard to present to the judge..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

ez money. would do the same

NiKKoM said:
Zekkyou said:

Not what the killzone devs say:
https://www.killzone.com/en_GB/blog/news/2014-03-06_regarding-killzone-shadow-fall-and-1080p.html

In Multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called “temporal reprojection,” which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.

The dude sueing probably has that blog nicely printed out on cardboard to present to the judge..

"If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p"

He said IF you define it in that specific way, then it isn't. The general definition, however, is simply a displayed resolution that matches the source image. That's the one that would be brought up in court, not a hypothetical one used for the sake of expressing something.